Warn XD Restoration

Irun

A vicious cycle of doing, undoing, and re-doing!
Supporting Member
I picked up a Warn XD and would like to do a light refresh. Although it's a little weathered, it appears like the steel cable hadn't been unwound and the winch looks like it wasn't really used. After doing a quick visual inspection, all I see that's needed is:

- 2 Gauge Power Cables (To the battery)
- Tie Rods (Warn 98279 Service Kit)
- Winch Mounting Bolts
- Contactor Pack Mounting Bracket
- Replacement Warn Stickers

That said, are there any tricks I should know about when taking this apart to do an inspection?

Second question, does anyone know the part number for a mounting bracket for this version?

20220730_193937.jpg

20220730_193951.jpg

20220730_194004.jpg

20220731_102826.jpg

Last edited:
I looked up a couple of videos and taking it apart seems relatively simple. After a partial disassembly, it doesn't look bad at all inside.

20220731_144153.jpg

20220731_144135.jpg

20220731_144111.jpg

20220731_144053.jpg

That thing looks basically unused. Solenoid bracket is PN 26368 and I have some I will be putting up for sale if you want one. If you get new tie bars you will want to make sure and actually tap them and not try to cut threads with the self tapping screws they come with.

You will want to pull the motor cap and put a couple drops of oil on the bushing and let it soak for a few minutes since it was used so little.

That thing looks basically unused. Solenoid bracket is PN 26368 and I have some I will be putting up for sale if you want one. If you get new tie bars you will want to make sure and actually tap them and not try to cut threads with the self tapping screws they come with.

You will want to pull the motor cap and put a couple drops of oil on the bushing and let it soak for a few minutes since it was used so little.
I didn't realize the Tie Rods were aluminum, so I cleaned those up and should be able to reuse what I have. I'll definitely pull the motor cap and oil the bushing. PM sent on the bracket. Thanks!

Reactions: Blackjack
I picked up a Warn XD and would like to do a light refresh. Although it's a little weathered, it appears like the steel cable hadn't been unwound and the winch looks like it wasn't really used. After doing a quick visual inspection, all I see that's needed is:

- 2 Gauge Power Cables (To the battery)
- Tie Rods (Warn 98279 Service Kit)
- Winch Mounting Bolts
- Contactor Pack Mounting Bracket
- Replacement Warn Stickers

That said, are there any tricks I should know about when taking this apart to do an inspection?

Second question, does anyone know the part number for a mounting bracket for this version?

20220730_193937.jpg

20220730_193951.jpg

20220730_194004.jpg

20220731_102826.jpg

Looking forward to this! Love to see these come back to life!

Reactions: Irun and Blackjack
I was under the assumption Warn was Made in USA. What's up with this?

20220805_102034.jpg

View attachment 348466

I believe that means the winch was made on the “Darkest Day of America” which was evidently July 11.

I believe that day had the highest gas prices ever and yes it is Biden’s fault.

Let’s Go Brandon!

Hope that’s not a harbinger of how well the winch was made! 😉

Last edited:

View attachment 348466

Warn had used Bosch of Brazil for motors since the 90s. They could not get a domestic motor manufacturer to provide what they wanted. After Bosch closed the plant in Brazil in the late 2000s they currently use Saco whos plant is in Asia.

Reactions: Irun
Power cables came in, but I'm wondering if I went to big?

20220805_111840.jpg

Warn had used Bosch of Brazil for motors since the 90s. They could not get a domestic motor manufacturer to provide what they wanted. After Bosch closed the plant in Brazil in the late 2000s they currently use Saco whos plant is in Asia.

Figured it must be something like that. It's a very serious motor! (y)

Reactions: Blackjack
Can someone point me to a wiring diagram for this winch? I'm not finding where to connect the negative and positive to the battery.