Warn XD Restoration

Looks good. What paint did you end up using?

20220813_085252.jpg

Reactions: JMT and Blackjack
Everything is wired, with the correct 2 gauge wire, mocked up, and working. The only exception is the solenoid for winding the line in periodically stops working. If I tap on it it starts working again. I'll take a look at that after I finish painting miscellaneous bolts and the W on top of the contactor Box.

20220813_133759.jpg

20220813_094706.jpg

Everything is wired, with the correct 2 gauge wire, mocked up, and working. The only exception is the solenoid for winding the line in periodically stops working. If I tap on it it starts working again. I'll take a look at that after I finish painting miscellaneous bolts and the W on top of the contactor Box.

View attachment 350684

View attachment 350685

That turned out looking really good. Did you get new solenoids or reuse the ones that came with the winch?

Reactions: Irun
Pop the cover and post a pic and I will get you some part numbers.

I might have some that I'd ordered and then decided to go with the solid-state contactor instead.

I was helping a friend out yesterday and didn't have time to remove the cover. I do know there was some rust on the connectors, which I tried to clean up. However, I probably need to remove the connections one at a time and do a thorough cleaning. This I did not do, so my problem might be as simple as a bad connection. :unsure:

Reactions: Wildman
Should have done this before...Will clean all the connections and replace the crimped ends. First one done!

20220815_192430.jpg

Reactions: JMT
The solenoids I have do not look like those. I have the ones that look like a Ford starter solenoid. Bummer.

What does this do? Adds the thermal protection? Anything else?

It eliminates those horrible barrel connectors on the control wires and adds ground switching for the solenoids. The barrel connectors are notorious for creating issues and with the "new Ford style" solenoids switching the ground side in addition to the power side added reliability and some extra circuit redundancy.

Reactions: Wildman and Irun
It eliminates those horrible barrel connectors on the control wires and adds ground switching for the solenoids. The barrel connectors are notorious for creating issues and with the "new Ford style" solenoids switching the ground side in addition to the power side added reliability and some extra circuit redundancy.

Because I went with a contactor over the solenoids is there an upgrade for it? Or not something worth worrying about?

What plug is on you pack?

I don't know. I think it's a 5 pin because I got the newer style -50 cover. But was going to swap to the 3 pin since I had the controller already. But if going to the 5 pin is a better idea I'll do it. I'll have to look when I get back out to the garage.
I am going to get my leg cast tomorrow and should be able to start working again Wednesday.

I would love to find a used one of these XD9000s or an M8000. Classic winch look, American quality. Can't beat it. Nice job.

I found this XD9000i and rebuilt it with @Blackjack help. He had to push me. It was kinda rough, but just needed TLC. He had several parts and a snorkel kit he provided. I love it.

ABFD1386-7CD3-4799-83B3-D9BC5673348D.jpeg

EBC21D1A-69E9-4D3D-BD60-C36CBBCC3FF0.jpeg