What brand of lunchbox locker is this?

Automatic lockers the OP's lunchbox (plus Detroit Lockers etc.) automatically unlock the outer wheel during a turn so it is free to rotate faster than the inner wheel. The issue that caused her breakage was when one of her rear tires was in the air and the other one on the rock was then receiving 100% of the torque instead of it being divided between the sides. That 100% of available torque the busted shaft received was what broke it.

Selectable lockers and "Lincoln Lockers" don't allow the outer wheel to rotate faster than the inner wheel so turns can stress them but that's not what usually breaks their axle shafts. What breaks their axle shafts is what happened to Marianne's above.
Ahhh okay so it’s just an issue of too much torque to one wheel. I was curious of what could cause a break. But other then axle shafts having too much torque applied I shouldn’t have any issue?

see the thing is I have the 2.5 and it’s definitely lower on power than from the factory, but in the future I plan on doing an engine swap and changing axles and doing a lot but just not the plan for it as of right now so if I can run the locker and only risk breaking an axle under very stressful circumstances then I’m fine with running it until I do the swaps I want to do in the future.

Thanks to everyone who put in a reply and helped me out! Means a ton to have such a large and well educated community to help me out. Thanks for the tips on the locker possibly causing an axle shaft failure but as of right now I’ll run it until one day in the future I can build it how I want to.

Yeah yeah I knew about that but the lunchbox locker is supposed to disengage when turning but I’m sure sometimes it doesn't. Well I’ve experienced many times when it doesn't (usually only when I’m sending it really hard and I try to take a quick turn, yes on pavement) but I inspected the axle shafts and there dosent appear to be any twisting of the splines at all.
The factory 27 spline shafts are carbon steel and less likely to twist before snapping. I would not wheel a Jeep with a stock Dana 35 and lunchbox locker, I have rescued several of them over the years. Not to mention your lunchbox locker makes it more difficult to replace the broken shaft.

There used to be a website with many photos showing busted Dana 35 shafts on the trail, unfortunately the guy who ran it (Bill Hughes) passed away. It opened a lot of eyes of Dana 35 owners. This is one of the many photos he had on his website.

Capture.JPG

the plan for it as of right now so if I can run the locker and only risk breaking an axle under very stressful circumstances then I’m fine with running it until I do the swaps I want to do in the future.
You will hate life when that happens to you on the trail. If I knew someone had a stock Dana 35 with a locker or 35" tires in a group I was leading offroad, I would, seriously, disinvite them from the group. A broken Dana 35 shaft causes grief for everyone in the group. It's just wrong to go wheeling in a group when you know you have a good potential to break something serious like an axle shaft.

You think now you'll baby it but that is pretty much what everyone who knowingly wheeled a Dana 35 with a locker or 35's thought before they broke theirs. It always surprises people when it happens.

I would not wheel with a stock Dana 35 with either a locker installed into it or with 35" tires. Period. It doesn't just affect you when it happens.

The factory 27 spline shafts are carbon steel and less likely to twist before snapping. I would not wheel a Jeep with a stock Dana 35 and lunchbox locker, I have rescued several of them over the years. Not to mention your lunchbox locker makes it more difficult to replace the broken shaft.

There used to be a website with many photos showing busted Dana 35 shafts on the trail, unfortunately the guy who ran it (Bill Hughes) passed away. It opened a lot of eyes of Dana 35 owners. This is one of the many photos he had on his website.

View attachment 261584
Ahh okay, well as I said in another post I plan on going a whole different direction with her than what her current state is. But until then I’m fine running it how it is and if it ever does snap before that then I’ll reconsider my life choices at that moment but until then I’d rather pay the 12 bucks for springs than swapping to a different system or buying new axle shafts at this moment. And honestly it really wasn’t hard at all to pull the shafts with the locker so not too worried about that at this moment.

You will hate life when that happens to you on the trail. If I knew someone had a stock Dana 35 with a locker or 35" tires in a group I was leading offroad, I would, seriously, disinvite them from the group. A broken Dana 35 shaft causes grief for everyone in the group. It's just wrong to go wheeling in a group when you know you have a good potential to break something serious like an axle shaft.

You think now you'll baby it but that is pretty much what everyone who knowingly wheeled a Dana 35 with a locker or 35's thought before they broke theirs. It always surprises people when it happens.

I would not wheel with a stock Dana 35 with either a locker installed into it or with 35" tires. Period.
I’ve never done a trail as of right now, I’m sure I will in the future but not until I can purpose build her. The only “hard” off-road use it gets is pushing through mud while trying to wrangle all the cattle up and some occasional mudding.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I’ve never done a trail as of right now, I’m sure I will in the future but not until I can purpose build her. The only “hard” off-road use it gets is pushing through mud while trying to wrangle all the cattle up and some occasional mudding.
But yeah I 100% understand where you’re coming from but it’s just at this current time I don’t think it’ll be reviving the amount of stress it’ll need to cause it to snap. As I said it’s mostly ranch use and some occasional mudding and such so I think it’ll be good for a while until I can get myself where I want to be to do this build. I know a lot of people swap out the 27 spline for some 30 splines but I know they also make aftermarket “stronger” axles so if there’s any large indicators that I could use to tell if these axles are stock or not I would love to know. But I don’t see any markings on them, they do kind of have a “spiral” pattern that runs down the length of the shaft.

You can purchase a replacement bias spring kit for it. I believe this is the kit you need, but do your due diligence before buying.
https://www.jegs.com/i/Powertrax/75...4579397212854078&utm_content=Other Categories
Thank you, but that’s a diffrent set of springs I found ones that appear right but I’ll probably just give the company a call so that way I can get the correct springs with the correct tensions.

this appears to be the correct kit https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwt-8001001kav

This looks like the actual locker I run (they have another style that dosent use the same parts as this one, diffrent style then any I’ve seen) https://www.quadratec.com/products/16104_106.htm

Reactions: Daryl
I read up a little about the locker and it is different then a lot of others probably still suffers from the same problem as normal lunchbox lockers. But yeah it has some pretty neat extras that fix a few issues with the normal lunchbox.