What did you do to your other vehicle today?

Carb adjustment needed. I took a 70 mile round trip this morning. Ran good, but leaking oil like a sieve at the pushrod tube seals. My boots are well oiled now for winter. I'll dig into that tomorrow.

Leave it, and top off as needed. Self changing oil!

• Haha
Reactions: Cheesy
Been prepping the hauler / winter junker for use past few days and will continue to be once more parts arrive.

96 c2500 pickup 5.7L 4L80E trans.

I have had a never ending transmission leak ever since I thought it would be a good idea to drop the pan and change the oil 3 different oil pan gaskets and a new pan ago.

figured id tackle the issue before its too cold to lay on the concrete floor for any extended period of time
IMG_5328.jpeg

I cleaned up my mating surfaces and decided it would be the once and for all seal and used some permatex atf sealant on the gasket. I know.. not ideal.. but this thing is pushing 300k miles and the body doesn't have much left to rust away, the frame on the other hand is rock solid though :ROFLMAO: .

while working on the pan I noticed the 2 speed sensors on the drivers side of the transmission were weeping so I ordered some oem o-rings for the sensors. also happened to notice the front trans line was also weeping on the other side soooo got new lines ordered.
pulled the torque converter inspection plate and can see its wet up in there but dont see any evidence of trails of fluid leaking from up above.

while determining exactly which of the several trans line kits I need within the engine bay I happened to notice the engine oil cooler lines from the filter to the radiator were weeping oil and the radiator itself was weeping oil at a press fitting for the line.

IMG_5354.jpeg

that in turn turned into me locating the 2 yr old radiator receipt and warrantying it out. also realized relying on the last radiator hose that has yet to be replaced since new in 96 was a good idea to pick up too.

now looking over the engine im half way tempted to pull the weeping timing cover to replace & might as well do the timing gear/chain. but if im going that far I might as well do the weeping engine oil pan gasket. 🙃

crossing my fingers that once I get all this one after another project done the transmission will no longer drip on the floor ( the original problem).. if not im gonna have to drop the trans which involves pulling the exhaust y pipe which has corroded nuts at the manifold which are no longer a hex shape and closely resemble a circle.

fun stuff. havent worked on the jeep lately, its been reliable. havent gotten out on the trails this year either because I F'd up my tailbone a few months back and cant sit for much more than a hour.

end rant.. I think (y)

I had a similar lift height, Bilsteins, and 255/85/16 on aTacoma- rode fantastic. Keepin narrow helped with fitment and decent MPG. Tire selection in that size not so good though.

View attachment 469227

I have to run 17's because optional big brakes so I was thinking about 255/75/17 on the new TRD Pro wheels I picked up. It's either that or 265/70/17 which is way more common. That Tacoma looks great.

picked up what I thought was the correct transmission line to transmission fitting at the local auto parts store, found out the are close but incorrect. ordered the correct ones online so gonna wait on more parts.

my Halifax sensor o-ring seals arrived in the mail tonight, lost motivation to replace them after finding out my fittings were wrong for the lines.
You know, those oil leaks are why your frame is still good.

definitely around the engine thats for sure.. still has a few spots left where the grease preserved the paint :ROFLMAO:

blows my mind though, gm had a good batch of steel for this model. nearly every bolt I suspect will snap comes out super easy and still has the original coating on em. they nearly look like new except for the areas physically exposed to the elements.

welp, my trans lines arrived.. incorrect part, one was about 10" too long. bastard part, gm discontinued it and im having a hard time determining the multiple part numbers to cross reference due aftermarket claiming the parts cover xy&z years while I need the septic to my year only model. talking with a manufacturer currently on figuring out exactly which ones I need.

IMG_5382.jpeg

decided to pull the timing cover tonight and replace the cam, crank and chain. its like a war zone under the truck right now, red trans fluid, green antifreeze and black engine oil mixed with absorbent powder.. kinda nice theres a floor drain below that drains to a mystery location collecting the big spills not contained by a drip pan.

planning on pulling the engine oil pan tomorrow (currently dripping dry overnight) I need to replace the oil pan gasket. once I get the timing cover installed with the oil pan off I can install the pan gasket and rtv the mating surface between the timing cover and oil pan.

feeling overwhelmed a little :ROFLMAO: it is nice to have the garage and time to pick away at it little by little though.

Support brackets for the "new" fenders for the little utility trailer fabbed and bolted up - ready for the welding shop next week. I didn't pay the $40 marked on the fender, just $25... :D
trailer67.jpg

Reactions: John Cooper
Those carb adjustments ended up being a complete rebuild for each one. The rust bucket; the Ural, not the Jeep, has been ridden continuously since September of 2016. The two months it was down was the longest it's sat since I owned it. Anyway, the ethanol laced fuel that I'm stuck using in Illannoy, started to destroy the downstream end of the Chinese fuel filters from the inside out. All that de-laminated plastic ended up in the carbs, raising all kinds of havoc. Christ, I was ready to spring for new pistons and rings.

So, I yanked and tossed those filters. I have a box full of the same filters and am trying to decide if I should toss them or use them and just change them out more frequently until they're gone. I dug in my stash and found a pair of B&S fuel filters that I'm using for the time being. I have a pair of Honda filters, but those puppies are huge and will need to have the fuel lines shortened, a lot, to make them fit. Decisions, decisions.

I found the oil leak(s). The new push rod tube seals, think BMW airheads, were part of an aftermarket cylinder kit that my adopted Ukrainian niece picked for me when she went to visit her cousins in Ukraine a couple years ago. The head, cylinder, and rocker cover gaskets are top notch. The push rod seals, not so much. They ain't quite round. I thought about reusing the old ones, but three are hard as rocks and the fourth one came off in multiple pieces. So, RTV to the rescue. The left side is leak free now, the right side still needs some work.

I have the Chicago Motorcycle Parade and Toy Run coming up in less than a month. Gotta get this finished.

Reactions: Zorba
The two months it was down was the longest it's sat since I owned it. Anyway, the ethanol laced fuel that I'm stuck using in Illannoy, started to destroy the downstream end of the Chinese fuel filters from the inside out. All that de-laminated plastic ended up in the carbs, raising all kinds of havoc.

Are any of the places list in Pure Gas near you?

https://www.pure-gas.org/
I'm fortunate to have one near me. I've switch to ethanol free for my power equipment.

Reactions: cliffish
Actually yesterday in the wife’s JK, fixed the center console bulb so PRND show up, fixed the horn, and rear window defroster by re-attaching the metal button tap.

And in the sons JK helped him replace the t-stat.

The one on the left looks about the size for our Smart.
It fits a couple of mid-80s Toyotas, but even there its only for a couple of years. The saving grace is that it apparently also fits a large number of forklifts and similar, so the damn thing should remain available for the foreseeable future. That is the problem with Mercedes - make one small change so let's redesign half the car! When they had to add a particulate trap for the 1985 300D and 300SD, in typical MBZ fashion, they redesigned the entire intake system instead of using the federal style. Hell, my mechanic told me that he once worked on a grey market 300D with a manual (of course, not sold to effete Americans) - apparently the entire engine casting was different!

effete Americans

This almost made me spit my lunch all over my laptop.

Several years ago, I was getting some training at one of our plants in S. France. At the end of the first day of training, I was asked if I had an Uber account so I could get a ride back to my hotel. I didn't(still don't)and said that I was told that you guys had a car I could use this week. Yes, they did, but it was a Citroen Xsara with a manual transmission and they thought I wouldn't be able to drive it because I lived in the US. Rubbed my jet lagged eyes, said gimme the keys, and proceeded to tear up their parking lot, doing parking brake u-turns in the process. I had the little turd the rest of the week.

Because it was such a nice shifting transmission, I got one of the guys I was working with get me to junk yard where I picked up an old shift linkage. I handed it to the guy who gave me the car and said, sorry, used to my Jeep.

Reactions: Zorba
This almost made me spit my lunch all over my laptop.

Several years ago, I was getting some training at one of our plants in S. France. At the end of the first day of training, I was asked if I had an Uber account so I could get a ride back to my hotel. I didn't(still don't)and said that I was told that you guys had a car I could use this week. Yes, they did, but it was a Citroen Xsara with a manual transmission and they thought I wouldn't be able to drive it because I lived in the US. Rubbed my jet lagged eyes, said gimme the keys, and proceeded to tear up their parking lot, doing parking brake u-turns in the process. I had the little turd the rest of the week.

Because it was such a nice shifting transmission, I got one of the guys I was working with get me to junk yard where I picked up an old shift linkage. I handed it to the guy who gave me the car and said, sorry, used to my Jeep.

I've rented a couple or three Citroens - they're nice riding/driving cars. And yea, they were all manuals.