What did you do to your other vehicle today?

These are the new gen heads you were talking about I assume?

Yup. New style valve guides, umbrella style valve stem seals, new style springs, and slightly larger valves.

If Owen hadn't had a hockey game today, I'd have finished it. Watching him score another goal was more enjoyable. Watching him faceplant when doing his 'cellie' after the goal was priceless.

Yup. New style valve guides, umbrella style valve stem seals, new style springs, and slightly larger valves.

If Owen hadn't had a hockey game today, I'd have finished it. Watching him score another goal was more enjoyable. Watching him faceplant when doing his 'cellie' after the goal was priceless.

Needs a first start video!

Nephew played Hockey for several years, its a fight where a game might break out! ;)

Reactions: Cheesy
IMG_2820.jpeg

IMG_2925.jpeg

Silly on a daily but I am a lot happier with the looks. Onto new wheels and tires….

Reactions: tworley and PRNDL
Plugged the trickle charger back in since I forgot the other day and finally replaced the under hood light with the LED that's been sitting on my kitchen island for a week. The old one was blown and figured I might as well go with an LED and see if it lasts any longer.

The phone takes such good pictures in low light that it looks WAY brighter than it is. Better than the old one but not like it looks!
PXL_20231017_024055079.jpg

:confused:

Noticed a big puddle under the F150 this morning. Crawled underneath and determined its coolant. Poked around for a minute and didn't notice any pulley's wobbling and couldn't move any by hand, but looking further up the front of the block and its pretty obvious the waterpump is weeping. Its running along the engine block (sloped driveway) and dripping at the rear of the engine. 118k miles. Glad it decided to fail yesterday/this morning because I did 900 miles over this last weekend, that would have been a miserable time with the wife and dog along side the interstate.

20231017_072617[1].jpg

20231017_073042[1].jpg

20231017_073049[1].jpg

So a new waterpump/gasket, thermostat/gasket and belts are on order. I opted out of new pulleys because mine appear to be fine and they are $100/piece for new tensioners (I have two) and $40 for a new idler pulley.

Last edited:
I swore. A lot.
YfNWPcal.jpg

That's the rear ball coupler between the Ural motorcycle frame and the sidecar frame. It's a weldment on the motorcycle frame and it snapped off. Sunuva... Got the old heart pumping when it broke as I was leaning the bike over to the left (designed to do that to access the sidecar side of the engine) to finish up the right cylinder. One second, I'm leaning over the bike and reaching for the cylinder. The next, I'm supporting 400 lbs plus of motorcycle with my right hip as the sidecar is doing a wheelie and throwing in its weight onto the motorcycle.

I managed to call Mrs.Cheesy on my cell with one hand and she stepped on the running board of the sidecar, which leveled it out enough that I could stand the bike back up and support everything with jacks and jack stands. It took a little while but I did manage to get the sidecar separated from the bike, so I could at least get the bike up on its center stand. Now I have to weld the pecker back on.

On the plus side, I think this was already cracked, so it was better to have this happen in the garage than have it break while out on scoot with the grandkids.

Water pump, belts and thermostat replaced. With the old waterpump out, it's clear the bearings are going. You can spin it by hand and feel/ hear them.
20231020_154701.jpg

20231021_112628.jpg

Draining the radiator.
20231021_103221.jpg

Old pump removed
20231021_111020.jpg

20231021_111036.jpg

20231021_112644.jpg

New waterpump and thermostat in
20231021_125651.jpg

20231021_123830.jpg

The ac belt was a pain in the ass. You have to loosen both the ac and wp/alt tensioners at the same time while trying to get the belt on. The wp/alt tensioner is such a tight fit, it's literally the thickness of the belt. So I had to hold the ac tensioner loose with my shoulder, use my right hand to loosen the wp/alt tensioner and with my left, slip the belt on.

20231021_130556.jpg

Old wp.
20231021_150809.jpg

20231021_150752.jpg

Last edited:
Bastardized a SmittyBilt Jeep spare tire carrier extender to be a spare tire carrier on the utility trailer:

trailer5c.jpg

trailer60.jpg

The spare is on the passenger side because that's where the spare was on the last utility trailer - an all wooden one (sold in Y2K). And THAT trailer had its spare on the passenger side because that's where the spare tire was located on a certain 1963 GMC 1 ton that I may have mentioned a time or two... ;)

Looks like I'm gonna have to bolt some angle on to move that sidelite back a few inches.

I got the ball stud welded back on the Ural Monday. Lousy pic.
GR13Eyxl.jpg

Tack, tack, tack, gouge, fill, grind. Repeat. It was actually harder to remove the fuel tank and roll the bike to the other bay of the garage.

The Russian Piece o' Crap is back together. Annndddd, no left over parts.

I haven't tried to fire it up yet because, as my Dad would say, "it was coming down like piss out of a boot." It's a Dadism, he has many. I'll give it a go in the morning if the stuff lets up.

Reactions: Zorba
I cleaned up my truck the last two days. We got back last Friday after a three week trip to Mississippi and then back through Carlsbad, Ruidoso, and then Santa Fe, New Mexico
kASPERR was pretty dirty, inside and out.

IMG_20231025_144805_831.jpg

IMG_20231025_144739_431.jpg

Now that the trip is done, I can concentrate on my TJR's death wobble again clunking that sounds like it's coming from the driver's side front tire.

The Russian Piece o' Crap is back together. Annndddd, no left over parts.

I haven't tried to fire it up yet because, as my Dad would say, "it was coming down like piss out of a boot." It's a Dadism, he has many. I'll give it a go in the morning if the stuff lets up.

VIDEOOOOOOOO!!!!!

VIDEOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Three minutes of you life you won't get back.

My plan was to shoot the test ride but when I moved the camera to clear my hip, I fat fingered and shut it off. I still have some carb adjustments and other fiddly things to do in the morning, but I'm happy. It starts within three kicks now, usually on the first.

Reactions: tworley and Zorba
Three minutes of you life you won't get back.

My plan was to shoot the test ride but when I moved the camera to clear my hip, I fat fingered and shut it off. I still have some carb adjustments and other fiddly things to do in the morning, but I'm happy. It starts within three kicks now, usually on the first.

Sounded pretty good - maybe a slight lope towards the end?

Reactions: Cheesy
Last edited:
Reactions: Shank and ColoJeep
I cleaned up my truck the last two days. We got back last Friday after a three week trip to Mississippi and then back through Carlsbad, Ruidoso, and then Santa Fe, New Mexico
kASPERR was pretty dirty, inside and out.

View attachment 468892

View attachment 468893
Now that the trip is done, I can concentrate on my TJR's death wobble again clunking that sounds like it's coming from the driver's side front tire.

Hope you had a chance to down in the Carlsbad Cavern. Simply an amazing place.