What did you do to your TJ today?

More progress...

DSC_0146.JPG

Put the fiberglass uppers that I bought from a member here, on.

Just can't get them to fit really good. I end up with a gap on both top back corners. I can pull seal on the door out and it helps a bit, but once it goes back to it's shape from being on a different door frame, it has the gap again. It also seems like it is just a tad to low as far as the whole lining up at the top goes. It does fit good at the bottom.

Here's the passenger side.

7C574A71-AA8A-4B58-B1D2-2D242752A34E_1_201_a.jpeg
B9B04AE7-FA17-43D9-B263-5AA65090C962_1_201_a.jpeg
96B6D438-932B-4209-BBD3-E8606A042106.jpeg

The gaps seem to be ok at the front and partially at the rear, till you go up toward the top.

This is the big gap on the passenger side.
1997F69C-FEDB-49C1-92AA-9CDB585A1C60.jpeg

Looking through from driver side.

94B04196-7E8F-4852-836B-970FBDB14625.jpeg

Driver side.

F947CAD5-71A3-4D76-9267-2E85BF6A944B.jpeg
C5D2DE90-6898-4B0A-B4A6-00888173EB5A.jpeg
1B36404E-933A-4D56-BAA0-8C9155E97170.jpeg

This one seems to fit a bit better, but still has a small gap at the rear top corner.

Here is my fix for now. LOL

5933937F-5089-4BF1-AC30-D7E422D909B7.jpeg
DEA5B317-C69C-4DDC-A0B9-DCF796905A6B.jpeg
A2FD860F-7F4D-456D-8DA6-47BB5DDF1E46.jpeg

It also doesn't seem to match to well to the Bestop frames as far as the seal goes down at the bottom. The curve is wrong.

A0E8A2AF-61BC-4A60-8470-1946250A5B5B.jpeg

I took it for a drive and my hokey fix seems to keep the air out, but will have to test it in the rain tomorrow to see if it will keep the water out. I figure I will drive it for a bit like this and if I decide I really like them, I will have to try to figure out a way to get them to fit better at the top corners. Not sure if I can find new seals for them or now, but maybe if I could and could put the seals a little higher on doors edge, it would possibly be better? Any suggestions on how to get them to fit better?

If I decide I don't care for them I will put them up for sale but think I will say they are for hardtop applications only. Or maybe they fit better with the original upper frames that came with the Jeep brand new. Mine are Bestop upper frames.

I will run them tan for now, but if I decide to keep them, I will paint them black.

OH, out of curiosity, for anyone that has had these uppers, is there supposed to be any type of foam seal on the bottom? May a seal at the bottom would raise the upper up a tad to not have such a gap on the top???

Reactions: j8ksdad
What brand ceramic coating did you use?
I use Griot’s Garage 3 in 1 ceramic wax. I’ve got it on the Jeep, my wife’s Highlander & the motorhome. They tell you that best results are achieved by applying a coat & then applying a second coat in 12-24 hours. The shine is amazing, even when the vehicle is dirty. It’s really easy to apply as well.

Drove to Home Depot to get some new AC powered smoke/CO detectors for the house and also picked up a rake. The rake fit! It was about 6’ tall and I figure there’s about 7’ diagonally in our TJs from the foot well to the opposite corner of the hardtop. I should have got a pic.

Put the fiberglass uppers that I bought from a member here, on.

Just can't get them to fit really good. I end up with a gap on both top back corners. I can pull seal on the door out and it helps a bit, but once it goes back to it's shape from being on a different door frame, it has the gap again. It also seems like it is just a tad to low as far as the whole lining up at the top goes. It does fit good at the bottom.

Here's the passenger side.

View attachment 215378View attachment 215379View attachment 215380

The gaps seem to be ok at the front and partially at the rear, till you go up toward the top.

This is the big gap on the passenger side.
View attachment 215374
Looking through from driver side.

View attachment 215372

Driver side.

View attachment 215383View attachment 215382View attachment 215381

This one seems to fit a bit better, but still has a small gap at the rear top corner.

Here is my fix for now. LOL

View attachment 215377View attachment 215376View attachment 215375

It also doesn't seem to match to well to the Bestop frames as far as the seal goes down at the bottom. The curve is wrong.

View attachment 215373

I took it for a drive and my hokey fix seems to keep the air out, but will have to test it in the rain tomorrow to see if it will keep the water out. I figure I will drive it for a bit like this and if I decide I really like them, I will have to try to figure out a way to get them to fit better at the top corners. Not sure if I can find new seals for them or now, but maybe if I could and could put the seals a little higher on doors edge, it would possibly be better? Any suggestions on how to get them to fit better?

If I decide I don't care for them I will put them up for sale but think I will say they are for hardtop applications only. Or maybe they fit better with the original upper frames that came with the Jeep brand new. Mine are Bestop upper frames.

I will run them tan for now, but if I decide to keep them, I will paint them black.

OH, out of curiosity, for anyone that has had these uppers, is there supposed to be any type of foam seal on the bottom? May a seal at the bottom would raise the upper up a tad to not have such a gap on the top???
The door surrounds are Bestop? I have the same uppers and mine fit very well with a hard top and pretty good with Bestop surrounds.

Installed the new shifter, washed it, and I finally got around to temporarily installing the half doors to see how they look. I've been using full doors 100% of the time ever since I bought the Jeep in late 2019, so it's nice to see a new look.

Since I'm still considering repainting my LJ, I'm gonna hold off on painting the doors for now.

PXL_20210103_200327416.jpg

PXL_20210103_225411881.jpg

Installed the new shifter, washed it, and I finally got around to temporarily installing the half doors to see how they look. I've been using full doors 100% of the time ever since I bought the Jeep in late 2019, so it's nice to see a new look.

Since I'm still considering repainting my LJ, I'm gonna hold off on painting the doors for now.

View attachment 215441

View attachment 215440
I like your wheels. Why have a nice hard top and no windows on the doors?

I like your wheels. Why have a nice hard top and no windows on the doors?
Thanks. I was just test fitting the doors. I didn't even have the interior door panels on at the time. I have the soft uppers, but since I just wanted to see how the doors would look, I didn't bother bringing them out from the garage. I'm back to my full doors now.