What did you do to your TJ today?

Tire rotation on the LJ. Found a hitchhiker in the process (Stupid Stink Bugs!). Also, a little garage cleaning.

20220507_171351.jpg

20220507_172411.jpg

Last edited:
I may go the route of buying a hood. I dont think I can handle the stress of cutting my hood.
The flip side is you could get a 100-200 bucks for your hood if it’s in good shape, but honestly it’s really not that bad.

• USA Proud
Reactions: RINC
old coworker informed me both him and his dad were headed to Drummond island Friday and wanted to know where to go wheeling over the weekend. figured id do the drive and tag along on a spontaneous whim.

it was all clear sailing the whole way up with no traffic on the highway whatsoever, no one crossing the mackinaw bridge but maybe 4 cars.
30B30DC4-573C-4D4A-B018-869346FBACAA.jpeg

FFC2E7EE-4065-4BFA-8C93-83A6A7C3FB04.jpeg

ended up in a small group of jeeps from New York at the fare booth and ended up driving in the group for a few miles but I wanted to cruise at the posted speed limit of 75mph, not 70... plus I had a ferry schedule to catch aiming for 9:40 am as ferry departures are 1 hour apart.

again no traffic or anything the whole way & as I made the curve coming into ferry crossing village of detour I discovered there was a unusual line of traffic about 3 blocks wrapped around from the dock which was fairly confusing. got into line and noticed nearly everyone had orange flyers in their windshields.... 🤦‍♂️ turned out it was Jeep the Mac weekend.
EC9F74CD-BC86-43BD-8BF3-D762F1A7DDFE.png

talked with a nice LJ owner from Wisconsin for a bit waiting. found out 1 of the 2 ferries were down for service. knowing the second ferry was used for high traffic events I was a little bummed. turned out that the ferry loaded and unloaded twice before I was able to roll on and cross from my initial parking spot in line. old coworker messaged me informing me he had just gotten into line for the crossing at this point.
3C8A852C-0C6E-4195-843E-C00C2594F00A.jpeg

got across to the island and went to top off fuel in town at the gas station then returned to the ferry dock parking lot to wait for 3 more ferry crossings. at this point a seagull flew up begging for food so I entertained myself tossing chunks of Serrano pepper sausage links jerky to it watching it eat them laughing my ass off.
IMG_3278.JPG

coworker made it across and we teamed up, I followed them into town for registration got one of their radios and we planned out going north on the island coming down through log jam hole and working our way to marblehead. a good decision as we seen nearly no one in the depths of the woods and the tight trails were clear.. there wasn't many places to pass or back up where we ended up going after all.

planned out we would go north and end up hitting log jam (conners hole) and ending at marblehead (our route we ended up taking is scribbled in blue)
by the way, if your given this map and blindly out on the island... its absolutely trash. garbage at best. there are so many unmarked spurs on the actual routes and few sign markings. id say over the entire time on the island we spent about a combined hour comparing this paper map to another paper map to the dnr sign post maps at random corners to the other map posted at the parking lot of the trail.
D3372248-FA37-46C1-99FF-BA198354CC0A_1_201_a.jpeg

orv parking lot map
A791E94A-2872-42EB-8CCA-E08131F685B7.jpeg

anyways once we arrived to the orv parkinglot there were 3 other jeeps sitting around looking over maps, turned out 2 were in a group and 1 was on their own wanting to explore but never been to the island before and didnt know where to go. it was just myself in the tj and old coworker in a gladiator, at this point we acquired a couple in a lifted jk (I think) in our group. the other 2 said they may bump into us but weren't sure but they were headed the same way.

got turned around a few times but everything went well. took us about 4 hours to manage the distance from the orv parking lot to log jam. half way to log jam we bumped back into the group of 2 Cherokees while taking drone photos and having a break
A8AE0A9E-9B92-41A3-99A3-DC7059B72E09.jpeg

continued on with a additional 2 more vehicles from here. passing what appeared to be a highly flooded water crossing route, a second one that literally looked like a lake with no end in sight stumbling on the 3rd passible spur to out trail in mind

CA17DB0B-A2D5-4FC7-9D0C-A093098276C7.jpeg

623C463D-E06E-4B04-A87C-DB374F83CF7D.jpeg

after the water crossing it was all clear sailing. JK took off to return back after logjam and the 4 of us continued onto marblehead. it was about 5PM at this point getting kinda late. made it to marblehead, gladiator went down and up. observed lots of oil on the steps at marblehead and heard rumor a wrangler was towed out on a flatbed from the area at some point during the day it appeared someone had no idea what they were doing and likely took out their engine oil pan. at this point the 2 Cherokees pulled off at a campsite to spend the night and the gladiator and myself returned back to the ferry dock at 10PM. had a long drive ahead of me and made it home at 2AM.

8CD601B8-0222-4071-B7C4-80726DCC91CB.jpeg

Word of the wise, bring more than enough food and water at a minimum.. for yourself of course, but others you come across may come unprepared.

Last edited: