What did you do to your TJ today?

20230807_094531.jpg

This empty space is where my tj usually sits but this morning I dropped it off at Billy Johnson Differentials for a set of Revolution 5.13's. Another round of gear break in.

Is it also like that with ignition off? If so, the actual gage in the cluster could be the culprit.

Ignition is off and the pressure is 0. I turn it on but don't crank it and the pressure is 60. When I crank it and turn on the engine, the pressure goes to 80.

View attachment 447860
This empty space is where my tj usually sits but this morning I dropped it off at Billy Johnson Differentials for a set of Revolution 5.13's. Another round of gear break in.

If I hadn't seen it in person, I would have serious doubts that a Jeep parked there. No ownership puddles on the floor ;-)

We had a great time, you and S should come along! We ran Denver on the way up and Red Cloud on the way down. You guys going to go on either the Lower Glidden run or Rollercoaster next weekend?

Reactions: Blondie70
Right on. I'll see you there. I kind of liked the little bit of drizzle this weekend, kept the dust down to almost nothing. Course we got hit with a deluge leaving Pinehurst. Good day to have the soft top up.

Swapped the pitman arm from a ridiculous drop to the stock one to cure some heinous bump steer. On the test drive over the weekend it was great, but today on my way to work I got some death wobble at about 40mph. I’m not 100% sure I got the ball joint to the pitman arm properly torqued, and it definitely needs an alignemnt so on to that. Before it's asked, I swapped to a Currectlync about 4k miles ago. The ball joints on the knuckles are on my to-do list, so possible issue there?

I ‘fixed’ the terrible flopping, sagging Sunrider feature.

Well, ‘fixed’ isn’t really the best word for what I did, but it appears to be the solution offered by Bestop.

In short, they sent me a pile of web straps, all but one are completely useless. Instructions or a picture of how they expect these to solve the poor engineering & shit design would have been helpful, but that would have taken them more time than they used to create this near worthless feature.

Anyway, this is what I could come up with using the material provided and my own ingenuity.

I have another plan in motion, but I’ve been swamped w/ non-Jeep issues the past month.

View attachment 443852

View attachment 443853

View attachment 443854

As many now know, I’m no fan of the Sunrider feature, as it is near useless with the side windows removed.
The strap kit provided by Bestop is only a band-aid to the issue, especially since there are multiple strap lengths and types, and not a single instruction, picture, or recommendation on how to use them to address the issue.
After playing around with the material provided, I came up with a potential solution.
I found a nearly identical hook here:
https://www.weaverleathersupply.com/products/l-2077

And then I found 1” wide elastic webbing.

Our TJ has a slight deviation from most because I had previously installed a sun shade from a JK, which required additional anchor points along the roll bar.
These are short, web straps w/a grommet in each end that are secured to the roll bar by the screws that hold the speaker pods in place.
They look like this:
IMG_3574.jpeg

My plan is to mimic the strap provided by Bestop, but instead of using a single anchor point, my solution will have an elastic loop, with a hook for the header on one end, and some method to connect to the exposed grommet on the other end.

The idea being stretchable straps that prevent the folded fabric from hanging down when installed.

I haven’t finalized the roll bar end yet, as I just received the hooks and elastic today.

I’ll update with a few pics once I get it all sorted. I’m more than certain that my solution will resolve the issue, while avoiding any modifications to the top or hardware - hence retaining my lifetime warranty and enabling the use of the Sunrider feature.

As many now know, I’m no fan of the Sunrider feature, as it is near useless with the side windows removed.
The strap kit provided by Bestop is only a band-aid to the issue, especially since there are multiple strap lengths and types, and not a single instruction, picture, or recommendation on how to use them to address the issue.
After playing around with the material provided, I came up with a potential solution.
I found a nearly identical hook here:
https://www.weaverleathersupply.com/products/l-2077

And then I found 1” wide elastic webbing.

Our TJ has a slight deviation from most because I had previously installed a sun shade from a JK, which required additional anchor points along the roll bar.
These are short, web straps w/a grommet in each end that are secured to the roll bar by the screws that hold the speaker pods in place.
They look like this:
View attachment 447938

My plan is to mimic the strap provided by Bestop, but instead of using a single anchor point, my solution will have an elastic loop, with a hook for the header on one end, and some method to connect to the exposed grommet on the other end.

The idea being stretchable straps that prevent the folded fabric from hanging down when installed.

I haven’t finalized the roll bar end yet, as I just received the hooks and elastic today.

I’ll update with a few pics once I get it all sorted. I’m more than certain that my solution will resolve the issue, while avoiding any modifications to the top or hardware - hence retaining my lifetime warranty and enabling the use of the Sunrider feature.
I just got our soft top installed, its the original OEM. Isn’t the Sunrider portion just suppose to fold back and sit on the top? It seems to be fine. I don‘t care for the sagging of the top but doesn’t seem like a decent option on that. The top doesn’t have a clip to attach to like your picture shows, it’s just the fabric folded in half.

I just got our soft top installed, its the original OEM. Isn’t the Sunrider portion just suppose to fold back and sit on the top? It seems to be fine. I don‘t care for the sagging of the top but doesn’t seem like a decent option on that. The top doesn’t have a clip to attach to like your picture shows, it’s just the fabric folded in half.

I cannot comment in regards to an OEM soft top, as we have never had one.
After installing a Sunrider panel on our ‘15 JKU, it seemed like a no-brainer to get this option on the TJ with the new top.

The biggest PRO on the SR panel in the JK is that it can be opened (or closed) while at a stop light, without leaving the driver’s seat.
It seemed reasonable to expect this same (or similar) convenience & function from the TJ top that touts the Sunrider feature.
Unfortunately, the TJ top w/ Sunrider is a giant disappointment. It cannot be opened/closed without getting out of the vehicle and removing the plastic side clips from the door surrounds. The doors must be opened (or removed) to achieve this.

Once opened (with the side windows removed) it is not possible to drive without the hanging/flapping fabric assaulting those in the front seats.

THIS is what my mod will prevent.
IMG_3575.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Kiwi TJ
I cannot comment in regards to an OEM soft top, as we have never had one.
After installing a Sunrider panel on our ‘15 JKU, it seemed like a no-brainer to get this option on the TJ with the new top.

The biggest PRO on the SR panel in the JK is that it can be opened (or closed) while at a stop light, without leaving the driver’s seat.
It seemed reasonable to expect this same (or similar) convenience & function from the TJ top that touts the Sunrider feature.
Unfortunately, the TJ top w/ Sunrider is a giant disappointment. It cannot be opened/closed without getting out of the vehicle and removing the plastic side clips from the door surrounds. The doors must be opened (or removed) to achieve this.

Once opened (with the side windows removed) it is not possible to drive without the hanging/flapping fabric assaulting those in the front seats.

THIS is what my mod will prevent.
View attachment 447951
That picture certainly “says” a lot. As you I love the SR on my JK. On the TJ so far it’s fine, but only opens up 14” or so. And as you stated have to open the door to unclip the front half of the top from door surrounds.