What did you do to your TJ today?

I guess today I am trying to figure out why the rear passenger shock is hanging down.

I felt up in there. There is that cross piece that the two upper bolts go into. That piece is bent. The thing is I have no idea how long it has been this way. Since I have the wheel off, I'll probably take this time to also redo the drum brakes which I needed to do anyways.

View attachment 452480

If you can’t get things bent back in place for the shock but it’s ok structurally, would it possibly make sense to outboard the shocks?

Not trying to spend your hard earned money im just curious if that might work in the event it’s structurally sound but not aligning for the shock without major labor.

If you can’t get things bent back in place for the shock but it’s ok structurally, would it possibly make sense to outboard the shocks?

Not trying to spend your hard earned money im just curious if that might work in the event it’s structurally sound but not aligning for the shock without major labor.

The bracket that holds the 2 bolts at the top is bent. I may have to try to see if I can buy just those at my local auto parts store. Worst case, I just buy another set of shocks.

Reactions: MikeE024
From what I can tell, the shock is still fine. It is just that little bracket that holds the 2 bolts in the top.

I'll have a better look tomorrow when I get a chance to take off the rear tire.

That pic looks like the shaft of the shock is bent. Unless the boot has come detached up top and just happens to be laying in that position.

Figured out the issue with the shock. The shock is bad. I can compress it, but I absolutely cannot pull it out of the body of the shock. What happened is that it compressed into he body a bit, and absolutely would not pull back out. Physics happened and the piece at the top of the shock that attaches to the 2 bolts eventually bent. Here's the best pic that I could get.

Also, I'm about to order another pair of shocks.

IMG_3960.jpg

Figured out the issue with the shock. The shock is bad. I can compress it, but I absolutely cannot pull it out of the body of the shock. What happened is that it compressed into he body a bit, and absolutely would not pull back out. Physics happened and the piece at the top of the shock that attaches to the 2 bolts eventually bent. Here's the best pic that I could get.

Also, I'm about to order another pair of shocks.

View attachment 452550

Damn!

What shocks are you ordering?

Is that oil from the shock or penetrating oil or something else?

Damn!

What shocks are you ordering?

Is that oil from the shock or penetrating oil or something else?

I was going to order the same shocks, but I am open to other options. They had the Explorer Pro Comp ES3000 32450 but I can't find them anymore. Any recs? This Jeep has a 3" lift on it, and I only plan on doing light to maybe moderate offroading.

That is penetrating oil. I watched a few videos that the nuts are welded to the frame and these bolts are prone to rust. So, I'm trying to soak them in penetrating oil for a couple of days to help loosen them up.

Last edited:
I was going to order the same shocks, but I am open to other options. They had the Explorer Pro Comp ES3000 32450 but I can't find them anymore. Any recs?

That is penetrating oil. I watched a few videos that the nuts are welded to the frame and these bolts are prone to rust. So, I'm trying to soak them in penetrating oil for a couple of days to help loosen them up.

I love my rancho shocks. Many others on the forum like them as well for a good priced, good quality shock

Reactions: JasterMereel42
I was going to order the same shocks, but I am open to other options. They had the Explorer Pro Comp ES3000 32450 but I can't find them anymore. Any recs?

I've only had 3 other shocks on my jeep besides the factory shocks. Old Man Emu, Rancho RS5000x and Skyjacker Black Max, in that order. The OME seemed nice but were very harsh even on the smallest bumps. The Rancho's were better, and the Skyjackers have been even better for me. Are they perfect? No. Are they softer and a better ride than the other two? Yes. Are they relatively cheap? Yes, especially if you can find a current rebate.

Overall, I'm happy with the Skyjackers but I know there are better (but more expensive for me) shocks out there.

Good call on spraying penetrating oil on there in advance.

I've only had 3 other shocks on my jeep besides the factory shocks. Old Man Emu, Rancho RS5000x and Skyjacker Black Max, in that order. The OME seemed nice but were very harsh even on the smallest bumps. The Rancho's were better, and the Skyjackers have been even better for me. Are they perfect? No. Are they softer and a better ride than the other two? Yes. Are they relatively cheap? Yes, especially if you can find a current rebate.

Overall, I'm happy with the Skyjackers but I know there are better (but more expensive for me) shocks out there.

Good call on spraying penetrating oil on there in advance.

Cool, I'll check out the Skyjackers because they are cheaper than the Ranchos.

Reactions: DB04RedJeep
So I think the piece you are seeing that is bent is from the shock. The shock I believe looks similar to the below. So I think that piece broke off from the shock.

IMG_1024.jpeg

Ordered a Magnaflow 53006M cut and weld cat from O'Reillys with their 20 percent off coupon.

Pretty sure my cat is plugged. Wanted to wait on exhaust for a body lift/tummy tuck but it just needs to happen.

I can weld so if it needs adjustment I can fix it later.

-Mac

53006m.jpg

I have got to get back to finishing up work on my Jeep , repairs on my home have tied me up.
Tried to sell the canyon wheels that I took off my jeep, I just have no luck selling anything , guess I will take the two good tires off and sell the aluminum to the metal scrap yard and see if a local tire dealer will give me a few bucks for the two almost new tires.

• Sad
Reactions: John Cooper
You could use this style of clamp. Easier to deal with in your future mods.
https://www.autozone.com/emission-c...clamp/p/walker-exhaust-clamp-36434/277000_0_0

Already have a V band clamp ready to go. Want a v band just outside the skid plate. Cat back exhaust from Hooker is stainless and uses those clamps.

And I'm adding a flex coupler to the Walker downpipe. I really don't like the walker bends...but it'll do for now. Need to finish building my shop and get a plasma table and a TIG torch and then I can do it right with 304 mandral.

-Mac

Reactions: All 4 Wheelin'
Good luck with the quality crapshoot of Rancho. Andy

[URL][URL]https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/excessive-bounce-body-roll.72493[/URL][/URL]

🤷‍♂️ mine have worked great, I’ve heard the same from others. Then again though, everything is relative… when I got the jeep, it had original oem shocks on it. The ranchos were a major improvement. I also expect a jeep to ride rough, this is smoother than what I would’ve hoped for. And they are still solid enough that I don’t feel like I’m driving a boat. Everyone has different experiences I guess. Mine has been very good