What did you do to your TJ today?

man whats the issue with installing the double din ? thats so easy a caveman could do it !

Several issues.

I'm a perfectionist.

I bought a 25 year old Jeep. Everything the PO's tried to fix, they did half-ass or not at all. When I start working on one thing, I end up working on two or three things.

You know how things snowball. I pulled the seats to run a tap down a couple of the mounting holes. I didn't feel safe with the seats moving all over the place. Each seat only had two bolts and neither of them were correct. Since the seats were out, may as well pull the console, clean under it and paint it. There was overspray on it and the shift light was out. I pulled 14 coins, 3 pens, a bunch of toothpicks, a baby sock and about a 1/4" of muck off the top of the hump. The console only had one screw holding it in. The seats and console are out, so may as well put down the Kilmat and install the flooring. Meanwhile, figure out what bulb I need in the fog light switch since the radio bezel is off, screw around with the wiring on the HVAC, run the backup cam wiring, wire in a power port under the dash for the USB plug and phone charger. Get rid of the extra wiring behind the dash that isn't connected to anything. I also noticed most of the fuses were corroded and some of them were the wrong amperage. Replaced all of them.

So yeah, installing a radio is easy if that's all you are doing.

My last Jeep that wasn't new was almost 40 years ago. There is a learning curve.

On my 65 and 67 Mustang, I can rip through almost anything in a day, but I have owned vintage Mustangs since I was a kid.

Several issues.

I'm a perfectionist.

I bought a 25 year old Jeep. Everything the PO's tried to fix, they did half-ass or not at all. When I start working on one thing, I end up working on two or three things.

You know how things snowball. I pulled the seats to run a tap down a couple of the mounting holes. I didn't feel safe with the seats moving all over the place. Each seat only had two bolts and neither of them were correct. Since the seats were out, may as well pull the console, clean under it and paint it. There was overspray on it and the shift light was out. I pulled 14 coins, 3 pens, a bunch of toothpicks, a baby sock and about a 1/4" of muck off the top of the hump. The console only had one screw holding it in. The seats and console are out, so may as well put down the Kilmat and install the flooring. Meanwhile, figure out what bulb I need in the fog light switch since the radio bezel is off, screw around with the wiring on the HVAC, run the backup cam wiring, wire in a power port under the dash for the USB plug and phone charger. Get rid of the extra wiring behind the dash that isn't connected to anything. I also noticed most of the fuses were corroded and some of them were the wrong amperage. Replaced all of them.

So yeah, installing a radio is easy if that's all you are doing.

My last Jeep that wasn't new was almost 40 years ago. There is a learning curve.

On my 65 and 67 Mustang, I can rip through almost anything in a day, but I have owned vintage Mustangs since I was a kid.

Depending upon the coins, it could be anywhere between 14 cents and $3.50 that you found! Score!

Finally pulled the trigger on a new Bestop- replace-a-top today...400.00 USD in just shipping !!!!....my old one I'm sure is original (25yrs old) and has done well over the 11 years I've had the Jeep. but its showing its age now and starting to come apart.
Plus, its Summer over here and will need the heat from the big yellow thing in the sky to make it easier to put the new one on.

I did think about buying the cheaper ones from other makes but because I live so far away and shipping killing me as well as the exchange rate I thought I'd just buy the thicker sailcloth one. Hope this lasts along time.... and fingers crossed it doesn't have the giant tramp stamp logo on the back :p

Plus, its Summer over here and will need the heat from the big yellow thing in the sky to make it easier to put the new one on.

If I understand geography & astronomy, and I’d like to think that I do, I believe south of the equator it’s called “the moon.”

Last edited:
Finally pulled the trigger on a new Bestop- replace-a-top today...400.00 USD in just shipping !!!!....my old one I'm sure is original (25yrs old) and has done well over the 11 years I've had the Jeep. but its showing its age now and starting to come apart.

I did think about buying the cheaper ones from other makes but because I live so far away and shipping killing me as well as the exchange rate I thought I'd just buy the thicker sailcloth one. Hope this lasts along time.... and fingers crossed it doesn't have the giant tramp stamp logo on the back :p

Does being upside down make it easier or harder to install the soft top?

🙃

Depending upon the coins, it could be anywhere between 14 cents and $3.50 that you found! Score!

When I got my TJ home and started cleaning it out, I found $12.35 in change in the ashtray.

Lots of quarters, no pennies.

Looking Back To School GIF

I installed a full layer of Noico 80mil over the weekend and started on the second layer of 157mil foam. The foam layer goes on much faster than the buytl/foil layer. My LJR was an Arizona softtop for most it’s life and the inside was packed with dust pretty severly. I’ve ordered a bedrug full kit to go in over the sound insulation.

For people who installed bedrugs did you remove the insulation from the backside of the carpet for the rear wheel wells and rear flooring and place it under the bedrug? The stock carpet has very thick insulation underneath it and I’d hate to loose that if the bedrug will still fit with it the insulation added.

IMG_6237.jpeg

I installed a full layer of Noico 80mil over the weekend and started on the second layer of 157mil foam. The foam layer goes on much faster than the buytl/foil layer. My LJR was an Arizona softtop for most it’s life and the inside was packed with dust pretty severly. I’ve ordered a bedrug full kit to go in over the sound insulation.

For people who installed bedrugs did you remove the insulation from the backside of the carpet for the rear wheel wells and rear flooring and place it under the bedrug? The stock carpet has very thick insulation underneath it and I’d hate to loose that if the bedrug will still fit with it the insulation added.

View attachment 489513

I used the Noico stuff and topped it off with Bedrug…but that’s it.
My original carpet didn’t have any insulation. It was laid straight down on the metal floor.
It’s definitely helped with the noise volume I can’t say too much about keeping it warm in the cab as it doesn’t really get that cold down here.

Reactions: BradyW
Fixed the HVAC control panel wiring, I should have done that when I first noticed it was screwed up. Next JY trip I will cut a plug off a Cherokee and rewire it properly.

Cleaned 25 years of sweat of the shifter handle, steering wheel, e-brake handle and transfer case handle. Yuck, I threw the rags away.

Painted the AT shifter, reinstalled the plate and handle. It's alot easier to shift now. The light also works.

( prepare to read my bad ways of writing stuff😆 )
Welp y'all i cant really show what i did to my jeep but i tuned it and unless yall want a pic of my timing tables and ECT. on HpTuners i can snap a pic when i get around to my buddies laptop again !
But anyways i added timing where it needed it since stock is super and i mean super conservative so the timing at redline was in the 20's now its set to 31 i could've gone close to 36 but ill see how my jeep reacts to this timing i have set once we're in the hot Texas weather as far as detonation and pinging goes as well i raised my rev Limiter to 5,500 which allows my jeep (has a 42rle) to actually shift at 5k as before it was more like 4700 ish
But now in the freeway she hooks and books, As before it would just bog down and not really accelerate but now when i mash the throttle it just locks up and wants to go and it goes alright :D ! And same from a launch it does better than before too but accelerating from a slight roll can now put me back in my seat at full throttle
Overall im very happy with how my jeep is performing and driving except that for some reason my 02 sensors aren't reading much from what i see on HPTuners with the "LTFuelTrim" reading but my AFR's should be at 15.1(cause it was) which is a bit lean for me but the jeep is happy.....very happy there at that AFR near/at redline.
As far as the AFRs go on HpTuners not working i will say that im sure its my fault since i was messing with the idle and it was running super rich,low rpm,timing was retarded by alot since i wanted my jeep to chop and which it was but i returned it back to where it was after realizing i messed up my 02 sensors from doing so.....Oh well the more i learned 🙃

Have any interest in sharing the HP tuners dongle with other's who are interested in the tune but don't want to pay extra for the dongle?

Reactions: Kiwi TJ