What did you do to your TJ today?

My youngest finally came home from the hospital after being inpatient since July 25, 2023.
Thoughts and prayers to you and your family!!

I'd be interested as well. Got a passenger fender that is rusting through and I can't find a good replacement that is already black.
I'm going to the shop on Wednesday for some powder coating.. I'll ask.

So why paint the underside? Does it make it quieter or something or is it for looks?
No quieter as far as I can tell. It looks much more finished. So, just looks better.
2022-06-26 TJ Painted TrekTop 09.jpg

Attempting to put on a new Bestop Super top NX on the LJ. I need the square back due to hauling luggage on the trips.
What a pain in the ass this one is to install.
Installed replacement tops on YJ/TJ’s and also a new soft on my previous JKUR but this one seems to be the worst.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Oh and try to get the bow on the lower hole…
Check out the dimple extending outward from the mount preventing the bow from seating lower.
I finally got it on the lower setting but had to massage it a bit.
Not the only problem.

View attachment 528471
Did you lay it out in the sun all day? They are very easy IF you leave them out in the sun for 3-4 hours.

Decided to measure the bore diameter on all cylinders and the ring gap on cyl 4 rings, I think all bores are out of spec.

Manual specs say bore diameter should be 3.4446-3.4452 but all mine are 3.45132-3.45148, that’s roughly 0.006-0.007 out of spec.. so they definitely aren’t oversized.

Top ring Gap:

Spec: 0.0098-0.020
Measured: 0.018

2nd Ring Gap:

Spec: 0.009-0.018
Measured: 0.014

Those bore diameters have me confused.

IMG_3929.jpeg

I ratchet strapped the axle to drivers side a bit so I could move the track bar to the passenger-most hole. Not a lot of guys have 3 adjustment holes in their track bar axle-bracket … and for good reason! But my PO has blessed me with this adjustability!
I thought about getting an adjustable bar but in the interest of time and money this should get me driving and hopefully solve my intermittent driveshaft/exhaust interference issue.

The big win is this used to take me about 5 times longer to do! I’m a learnin’!

IMG_1465.jpeg

Manual specs say bore diameter should be 3.4446-3.4452 but all mine are 3.45132-3.45148, that’s roughly 0.006-0.007 out of spec.
If that’s an unmolested engine, it’s almost inconceivable that it left the factory with bores that large. Don’t take this the wrong way - are you using a bore gauge to measure, and have you set the bore gauge properly? That’s really the only way to accurately measure.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and Duner
If that’s an unmolested engine, it’s almost inconceivable that it left the factory with bores that large. Don’t take this the wrong way - are you using a bore gauge to measure, and have you set the bore gauge properly? That’s really the only way to accurately measure.

It was rebuilt when I bought it so it had to have been oversized then. I do have a 3 prong bore gauge, and I think I was using it right. I at least was consistently using it wrong since my measurements were all very close LOL.

I did find on the piston head “0.50” which would it is 0.50mm/ 0.019685in oversized.

Also found 87.97 SF0.03 which I’m pretty sure is the piston diameter +\- 0.03mm.

It was rebuilt when I bought it so it had to have been oversized then. I do have a 3 prong bore gauge, and I think I was using it right. I at least was consistently using it wrong since my measurements were all very close LOL.

I did find on the piston head “0.50” which would it is 0.50mm/ 0.019685in oversized.

Also found 87.97 SF0.03 which I’m pretty sure is the piston diameter +\- 0.03mm.
According to the manual, for the 2.4L, you have the following dimensional ranges for stock pistons and cylinders:

Piston OD - 3.4434" to 3.4441"
Cylinder Bore - 3.4446" to 3.4452"
That puts line-on-line clearance between .0005" and .0018"

That means, if you're using a +.50mm piston, keeping the same clearance, those numbers become:

Piston OD - 3.4631" to 3.4638"
Cylinder Bore - 3.4643" to 3.4649"

But you're measuring bores to be 3.4513" to 3.4515". If your interpretation of the piston markings is correct (and it does make sense to me), and you are correctly using your bore gauge, your bores are about 12 thou smaller than your pistons. That's not possible (assuming these pistons were in the cylinders at one time). Measure your pistons. If they are between 3.4631" and 3.4638", your interpretation of the markings is definitely correct, and the logical conclusion is that you are not getting correct bore readings from your gauge, either from improper use, or from a broken bore gauge. That's where my money is.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and Duner
According to the manual, for the 2.4L, you have the following dimensional ranges for stock pistons and cylinders:

Piston OD - 3.4434" to 3.4441"
Cylinder Bore - 3.4446" to 3.4452"
That puts line-on-line clearance between .0005" and .0018"

That means, if you're using a +.50mm piston, keeping the same clearance, those numbers become:

Piston OD - 3.4631" to 3.4638"
Cylinder Bore - 3.4643" to 3.4649"

But you're measuring bores to be 3.4513" to 3.4515". If your interpretation of the piston markings is correct (and it does make sense to me), and you are correctly using your bore gauge, your bores are about 12 thou smaller than your pistons. That's not possible (assuming these pistons were in the cylinders at one time). Measure your pistons. If they are between 3.4631" and 3.4638", your interpretation of the markings is definitely correct, and the logical conclusion is that you are not getting correct bore readings from your gauge, either from improper use, or from a broken bore gauge. That's where my money is.

@Duner - can you post of picture of the bore gauge?

you might be right, I tried my best to really nest it correctly but I might just have to pull the block and have it looked at.

IMG_3934.jpeg

IMG_3935.jpeg