What did you do to your TJ today?

Rebuilding yes, stroker no. If was looking for more hp I would look more into turbo

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Well a 4.2 crank and rods is $50 used, use the 4.0 pistons, crane 753901 cam and 27# injectors, you gain 50 horsepower, that is fairly cheap and easy. Turbo $2K, for me it is simple math. Tim

Reactions: Shane Mckinley
Also installed the 5.25 Polks with boomat in the front dash.
Perhaps you can shed light on this.... crutchfield tells me that the 5.25 polks wont fit the front dash and that the 4x6 is the way to go. I see others have put in the 5.25s. Could you Tell me about what i need to know about getting the 5.25 into the dash corners? Thanks

Perhaps you can shed light on this.... crutchfield tells me that the 5.25 polks wont fit the front dash and that the 4x6 is the way to go. I see others have put in the 5.25s. Could you Tell me about what i need to know about getting the 5.25 into the dash corners? Thanks
Certain year TJs require you to trim a metal bracket, there are a few YouTube videos on it. My 04 did not though, the metal piece seen in videos wasn't there, I did trim the plastic bracket that crutchfield sent, don't know if I needed to but it was close to a different piece of trim that I didn't want to touch.

Reactions: Capt'n
I put chrome headlight bezels in to replace the black one's, courtesy of @MangoTango & put a pair of door sill guards on, also to replace the black one's.
20190324_110125.jpg

20190324_113232.jpg

Last edited:
Crutchfield info is about stock replacement for the most part. pick up some pods for the dash to allow 5 1/4 install
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_663DSHPD97/Select-Increments-Dash-Pods.htmlor
https://www.quadratec.com/products/14136_0401.htm

Reactions: Capt'n and Kiwi TJ
Certain year TJs require you to trim a metal bracket, there are a few YouTube videos on it. My 04 did not though, the metal piece seen in videos wasn't there, I did trim the plastic bracket that crutchfield sent, don't know if I needed to but it was close to a different piece of trim that I didn't want to touch.

Yep, my 99 I had to cut the metal bracket. Just used some tin snips and cut it then pushed it out of the way. It will probably be the thing that stabs me in a bad accident, but I got this Jeep to modify it, so I wasn't too concerned. LOL Although, if I would have known I had to cut it, I would have probably went with the 4x6 instead. I didn't know and ordered the adaptors and speakers, and I didn't feel like dealing with sending things back. Again, it came down to I didn't care because I bought it to modify it and have fun. :D

Changed the rear seat from tan to black with a seat cover from Corbeau (to match the front black sport seats) and reinstalled all the hardware and seat belts.

I had taken everything out when I did the Bed Tred install and liked it without a rear seat as a daily driver. Now that it’s not a daily, wanted the seat back for additional passengers.

View attachment 83979

Also added Poly Fil to the sound bar. I bought a VDP sound bar awhile back without doing any research to learn that they are junk. I’ve replaced all of the speakers and determined that it’s a 194 LED bulb that’s needed to replace the barely illuminated bulbs it came with. The Poly Fil made a big difference in sound. Also added Boom Mat to both front 4x6’s (no picture).

View attachment 83980

Boom mat:
Design Engineering 050350 Boom Mat Speaker Baffles, 4" x 6" Oval (Pack of 2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0039Z3SUM/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Poly Fil (1lb bag is enough for 1 Sound Bar):
Acousta-Stuf Polyfill Speaker Cabinet Sound Damping Material 1 lb. Bag https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002ZPLDY/?tag=wranglerorg-20

The separates you have installed? Did you modify that sound bar to make the tweet fit? How’s it sound and are you running an amp and sub as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi

The separates you have installed? Did you modify that sound bar to make the tweet fit? How’s it sound and are you running an amp and sub as well?

2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi

The VDP (Vertically Driven Products I think) soundbar came with the mid’s and high’s installed. They were junk and I swapped them out with some Rockford Fosgate one’s.

No amp and sub, just a Sony headunit, but I have an Alpine head unit and power pack on the way.

It’s a clean sound with some bass, but not much. It could use a small sub to balance it out for sure.

Reactions: Shane Mckinley
The VDP (Vertically Driven Products I think) soundbar came with the mid’s and high’s installed. They were junk and I swapped them out with some Rockford Fosgate one’s.

No amp and sub, just a Sony headunit, but I have an Alpine head unit and power pack on the way.

It’s a clean sound with some bass, but not much. It could use a small sub to balance it out for sure.

Good to know. I have a kenwood unit and poineer 5.25 that were donated from other members here a couple years back. They are well over stock. I’m sure some poly fil and aftermarket up front would make a world of difference for me

2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi

Re-spooled my winch line and did a general check over of the Jeep after a Rausch Creek run yesterday. My 4 banger handles the black trails very well. Totally amazed at how capable this thing really is. Here is a vanity pic:
694836e0e75021bfae40d285b34c49ad.jpg

Crutchfield info is about stock replacement for the most part. pick up some pods for the dash to allow 5 1/4 install
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_663DSHPD97/Select-Increments-Dash-Pods.htmlor
https://www.quadratec.com/products/14136_0401.htm
Definitely purchase these pods. They’ll likely make a bigger difference than whichever brand of speakers you put into them.

I used to be a car audio fanatic. With speakers and subwoofers, the enclosure you put them in matters far more than the speakers or subwoofers themselves.

Running the speakers on a bracket that has no enclosure will result in poorer sound quality in lower frequencies. Essentially the sound coming from the back side of the cone is 180 degrees out of phase with the front sound, which results in destructive interference. Hence you won’t ever hear those frequencies. By using a baffle like these ones, you eliminate the out of phase sound, thereby eliminating the destructive interference and increasing the sound output at lower frequencies.

Reactions: KCsTJ and Twopoint
noticed I was having issues with occasionally slow starts. Came out last week and found my fog lights on. I did some investigating and found my Multi-function Turn Signal Switch, if breathed on, would turn the fog lights.

So, got it ordered and it arrived today, and I got it swapped out. and since I had it open I swapped out the blinker module with an LED one

working on my '02 was a LOT easier then my son's '99

Yesterday rode up along the ocean, 3 humans and two dogs, to a Strawberry Festival. What I thought would be a waste of time turned out to be an awsome day. Today I struggled with - finally - replacing the track bar. Hardest part, Mr. Kotter pin on castle nut. I’m sure you guys already know this but I just learned it today from a small aircraft forum: “One thing I picked up from the hang glider and ultralight aircraft time is using castellated nuts but no cotter pin, rather a circlip/safety pin/latch pin (pick the term) done right, makes for a as secure as a cotter pin install but lets you quickly and tool free remove it repeatably.” Works for me.

Tightened up some of the damn worm type hose clamps on my cooling system that were leaking. I hate those damn things and can't wait to change them out to the factory constant tension clamps when I redo my cooling system coming up soon.