What did you do to your TJ today?

My son is learning to work on the Jeep. He did the majority of the work removing the throttle body, fuel rail and injectors. Installed new injectors and put everything back together. She was on the road for the 1st time in years. Oh and she passed NC inspection. Pic is at the inspection station.
IMG_20190905_143111598.jpg

Found out from digging a little deeper that the Currie rear trac bar I have takes a 12mm bolt, not the 1/2" or 7/16" I was told by Currie. 7/16" too small and 1/2" too big. They do have a trac bar that takes 1/2" but it's for the rock jock rear end. Got 12mm 10.9's today from Fastenal and they fit great! Glad I did my own research.

20190905_192932_HDR.jpg

I put my purple pinstripes on and also replaced the missing pin for the soft top. :D Before and after pics are in my build thread. :D

View attachment 113602

View attachment 113603

View attachment 113604

i recently replaced a missing pull pin too, my original only lasted a few short weeks after installing my new bestop. the bracket was there but the pin assembly rattled apart and is along a local road i assume. it took a while due to warm weather season to hear back from bestop but they sent me a replacement kit at no charge quickly. ill be looking into loctite soon so it doesnt happen again.

Ordered my lift and have a used set of 33s I picked up last week for cheap on 5x5.5 Ford rims that I need to take off.

i recently replaced a missing pull pin too, my original only lasted a few short weeks after installing my new bestop. the bracket was there but the pin assembly rattled apart and is along a local road i assume. it took a while due to warm weather season to hear back from bestop but they sent me a replacement kit at no charge quickly. ill be looking into loctite soon so it doesnt happen again.

Mine actually came out of the bracket. I'm guessing the weld or whatever holds the tube the pin slides in and out in, came apart. They sent me an spare along with the replacement one. :D Free of charge also. :D Here's my old one. There is supposed to be a metal tube pressed in that hole.
nfm2k5GeTteeha%LXcJ1oA.jpg

same issue i had. its a 2 piece assembly, not press in. one side of the bracket is threaded male and the other side female. if you pull out the pin with the finger pull hoop you will see 2 flat spots hidden that you can fit a small wrench on. i checked my passenger side and found it was very loosely threaded together and snugged with a wrench. im also keeping the other one sent in my kit as a spare.

this is all i could find when i found that i was missing the pull side.
IMG_20190713_212242 (1).jpg

Reactions: KimsJeep
same issue i had. its a 2 piece assembly, not press in. one side of the bracket is threaded male and the other side female. if you pull out the pin with the finger pull hoop you will see 2 flat spots hidden that you can fit a small wrench on. i checked my passenger side and found it was very loosely threaded together and snugged with a wrench. im also keeping the other one sent in my kit as a spare.

this is all i could find when i found that i was missing the pull side.
View attachment 113634

Ok, thanks for that info. I will go check my passenger side to make sure it is tight.

Edit to ad a pic of what you are talking about. :D

rSKFWzgvRq+CZtGYIi2MKw.jpg

Last edited:
Replaced spark plugs with Autolite Iridums. Holy hell what a difference! Very, very noticeable increase in power and a smoother idle. I'm sure my MPG will go up as well, though I don't track it. Looking at the old spark plugs, I could see why; they were incredibly worn, and also the gaps were all over the place. Two were around .035, 1 was at .04, and the other three were at .060 or greater, I'm not even sure how they could've gotten that messed up, is that normal? Here's a picture of the gap setting tool I used with the iridiums (it worked very well) as well as the old, beat up plugs:
20190903_150642.jpg

20190903_150659.jpg

With the performance gains I've gotten from the spark plugs, I'm really excited to do the O2 sensors, as I've heard that can provide a noticeable increase in performance.

Also, last few boxes arrived for the Clutch/SYE/CV DS/Cable Shifter extravaganza. I thought they would never stop arriving. So that will probably take place next week.

I can't tell if it's placebo or not, but I am definitely happy with my O2 change. I'm going the reverse order and doing spark plugs next :)
Well if you get anywhere near the results that I did, I'm sure that you will be happy. I'm legitimately downshifting less now on hills near my house due to the increase in power.

Reactions: RipSteakface
Ok, thanks for that info. I will go check my passenger side to make sure it is tight.

Edit to ad a pic of what you are talking about. :D

View attachment 113637

thats it. i think i slipped a wrench on one side and grabbed under the pull with small channel locks at the time the parts arrived because i didnt have a thin wrench on hand. either way i guess its a good idea to periodically check until i take it apart and loctite the threads.

Well if you get anywhere near the results that I did, I'm sure that you will be happy. I'm legitimately downshifting less now on hills near my house due to the increase in power.

Mine is stalling out randomly on me again, I am back on that track first :/