What did you do to your TJ today?

Huge PITA! I didn't waste a lot of time on them though. I saw that a lot of people, if not most, had the same issue so I just figured I'd order the bolts and cut them out next week once the new ones arrive. Hopefully that 'll be the main hang up. But I'm dreading the upper arm bushings at the axle too. Sounds like they suck.
They do. I made my own bushing press for the occasion. I have the parts listed in my build thread.

Reactions: Don Ashcraft
Of course not all today but during the coarse of the last week when time allowed.

Threw the ole Wild Boar grab handles on that have been sitting in garage for a while now and got rid of the wimpy velcro around bar style. Seem pretty solid.

IMG_1080.JPG

IMG_1076.JPG

Took the evidently not original hood latches off since the sun didn't play nice with them, I knew it was hot but damn.

IMG_0758.JPG

IMG_0754.JPG

And put on some stainless style. Lock down nice and secure with no rattles,squeaks from hood at all. Adjustment is made with hooks mounted on hood. Seem nice so far, but as with anything we'll see.

IMG_0787.JPG

IMG_0887.JPG

IMG_0885.JPG

Oh, and threw on a new valve cover gasket since old one was dripping down back of motor. And changed the oil while I already had it on my hands.

IMG_1049.JPG

Now after seeing that pic I need to get in there and clean up that nasty engine bay.

Of course not all today but during the coarse of the last week when time allowed.

Threw the ole Wild Boar grab handles on that have been sitting in garage for a while now and got rid of the wimpy velcro around bar style. Seem pretty solid.

View attachment 119912
View attachment 119913

Took the evidently not original hood latches off since the sun didn't play nice with them, I knew it was hot but damn.

View attachment 119914

View attachment 119915

And put on some stainless style. Lock down nice and secure with no rattles,squeaks from hood at all. Adjustment is made with hooks mounted on hood. Seem nice so far, but as with anything we'll see.

View attachment 119917
View attachment 119919
View attachment 119920

Oh, and threw on a new valve cover gasket since old one was dripping down back of motor. And changed the oil while I already had it on my hands.

View attachment 119921

Now after seeing that pic I need to get in there and clean up that nasty engine bay.
Looks like you've had a bit of a coolant leak at the temp sending unit. I like the hood latches. They look solid.

View attachment 119912
View attachment 119913

View attachment 119914

View attachment 119915

View attachment 119917
View attachment 119919
View attachment 119920

View attachment 119921

I have those same grab handles (y) ...they do the job well. Now you have me thinking about those hood latches lol

View attachment 119922
So this weekend I managed to finally get my reverse lights done. I wired off a three way switch and added a additional relay under the hood. There setup so that I can turn them on by themselves, come on with the reverse lights, or stay off completely.

Can you give some detail on how you wired it up? I've been thinking about doing the same thing on mine.

Reactions: matkal
Noticed last night that I may have a small oil leak coming from the front L/hand side..its dripping just behind the radiator. I think its coming from the Oil pan gasket. :(...
How difficult is it to remove the pan ? (I'm guessing its just bolts and I may need to remove part of the exhaust too)...I mean how hard can it be !!! 😁

Noticed last night that I may have a small oil leak coming from the front L/hand side..its dripping just behind the radiator. I think its coming from the Oil pan gasket. :(...
How difficult is it to remove the pan ? (I'm guessing its just bolts and I may need to remove part of the exhaust too)...I mean how hard can it be !!! 😁
You will need to remove the exhaust. And then lots of bolts. These 4.0 pans go on forever. The gasket is 1 piece and the one I bought had some alignment pins that screw into 4 of the bolt holes and will hold the gasket and pan in place while you reinstall all the other bolts. Easy as pie.

I replaced my oil pan gasket in 2017. Not sure in your KIwi version will be any different, but on my 2006 I had to remove the two front cats. Getting those nuts loose was a pain ended up letting them soak overnight in some auto trans fluid / acetone 50/50 mix.the next morning they came right off.

I’d suggest a FelPro gasket. Be sure to use RTV in the corners where the gasket curves on the front and back. The instructions with it were pretty clear. I used Permatex Ultimate Black sealant and it worked great.

I thought I had a rear main seal leak but when I got the pan off I could easily see it was coming from the oil pan gasket. No leaks since replacing.

You will need to remove the exhaust. And then lots of bolts. These 4.0 pans go on forever. The gasket is 1 piece and the one I bought had some alignment pins that screw into 4 of the bolt holes and will hold the gasket and pan in place while you reinstall all the other bolts. Easy as pie.
Easy as pie you say...lol...you haven't seen me in the kitchen haha...Thanks for that though..its does seem pretty straight forward (Its not like Jeep makes things harder than it should be haha)
I replaced my oil pan gasket in 2017. Not sure in your KIwi version will be any different, but on my 2006 I had to remove the two front cats. Getting those nuts loose was a pain ended up letting them soak overnight in some auto trans fluid / acetone 50/50 mix.the next morning they came right off.

I’d suggest a FelPro gasket. Be sure to use RTV in the corners where the gasket curves on the front and back. The instructions with it were pretty clear. I used Permatex Ultimate Black sealant and it worked great.

I thought I had a rear main seal leak but when I got the pan off I could easily see it was coming from the oil pan gasket. No leaks since replacing.
Pretty sure the Export TJ's are exactly the same under there...haven't had a 'good' look under there yet but I think it coming from one of the corners..
Thanks for the soaking tip....Need to get under there and have a good dig around.

The roll bar works fine. I've done it too but only on good days.

Your tire cover looks like it has a square top but I think I'm seeing something in the back ground on the wall. An "optical confusion". 😊
It got me, too. The breaker panel on the bulkhead is darn near the color of the tire cover. Had to enlarge it to see the delineation between the two, LOL.

Nice lookin ride
Thank you very much..
I've gotten older, probably not smarter.. So now days I don't do near as much off roading as I did years ago and don't have the time or energy to do all the clean up after the trails, but I still love the Jeep's, mostly the TJ's even though I've had a couple of new JK Unlimited RUBICONS.
I've always had this OCD thing about all my vehicles, even my trail beaters about keeping them clean and shiny..🤪😜

Reactions: TJ Rubicus