What did you do to your TJ today?

Deleted the rear bumper and installed the Savvy tailgate skin. As soon as I find the proper drill bit I’ll install the nutserts.

01F61FB4-BBA8-4932-8C13-B58F0584B5C2.jpeg

Pulled the radio out that I just bought in Feb of this year because on the way home the tuner part just died. I only have a couple of lights and it makes beeping noises when I push buttons. Was going to put a Pioneer that hubby found in a car at work, but after spending 45 minutes disconnecting and reconnecting wires, it was bad too. So now I am radio less. LOL Was thinking of just buying one of the 25 dollar cheapie bluetooth Boss units off of Amazon. Figured since a good name brand radio only worked for 8 months, maybe I would have better chances with a cheap one. LOL

Edit to add, this just showed up at my door!! :D

fullsizeoutput_3e35.jpeg

I don't think it looks half bad.

6iCWhj2tRsa5u4NtxPWo5Q.jpg

Only bad thing is, it arrived with 2 very small dents and a minor scratch. Now, I can live with that, but, I know hubby will give me grief. I contacted the seller and let them know about the dents. I'm hoping they will refund some of the money. I am not going to send it back for such small dents. I think hubby would hush up about it if he knows they gave me a discount on it. :D

They are kind of hard to see in the pic, but you can easily see the scratch. The first dent is just to the left of it, and then the other is about 2 inches to the left of that one. Like I say, pretty small, but still noticeable.
fullsizeoutput_3e37.jpeg

So now, the question is.............leave it black, paint it white or paint it purple??

Last edited:
Pulled the radio out that I just bought in Feb of this year because on the way home the tuner part just died. I only have a couple of lights and it makes beeping noises when I push buttons. Was going to put a Pioneer that hubby found in a car at work, but after spending 45 minutes disconnecting and reconnecting wires, it was bad too. So now I am radio less. LOL Was thinking of just buying one of the 25 dollar cheapie bluetooth Boss units off of Amazon. Figured since a good name brand radio only worked for 8 months, maybe I would have better chances with a cheap one. LOL

View attachment 121392

View attachment 121394

Only bad thing is, it arrived with 2 very small dents and a minor scratch. Now, I can live with that, but, I know hubby will give me grief. I contacted the seller and let them know about the dents. I'm hoping they will refund some of the money. I am not going to send it back for such small dents. I think hubby would hush up about it if he knows they gave me a discount on it. :D

They are kind of hard to see in the pic, but you can easily see the scratch. The first dent is just to the left of it, and then the other is about 2 inches to the left of that one. Like I say, pretty small, but still noticeable.
View attachment 121393

So now, the question is.............leave it black, paint it white or paint it purple??
Not white! Black or purple might be cool too, maybe even a combo? There's only one Jeep on here with that guard, I think they look pretty nice.

Not white! Black or purple might be cool too, maybe even a combo? There's only one Jeep on here with that guard, I think they look pretty nice.

I didn't realize someone else on here had a guard like it. Cool, I'm not totally nuts! :D I really do like it and how big it is. I can't wait to get it on. Just need to do some modifications to make everything fit right. I will have to remove the little square lights I put on the bumper and possibly relocate them a little further out. Hubby will have to weld some tabs on the guard so the light bar will be able to be used still and then just have to remove the current bull bar. Should be done in 20 minutes! LOL Seriously though, I will start working on it this weekend. :D

I will most likely go purple but just don't know if that is going to be too much purple up front. If I do go purple with it, I will probably repaint the hooks black. Those get reinstalled once the guard is in place.

Reactions: Vasq

View attachment 121392

View attachment 121394

View attachment 121393

Since your windshield lightbar is purple the grille guard should probably be purple as well. Of course the decision is all yours.

Reactions: KimsJeep
Since your windshield lightbar is purple the grille guard should probably be purple as well. Of course the decision is all yours.

I agree and the thing that was throwing me off is the current bull bar. I was thinking it was going to be to much purple but with it gone, it should look good. :D

I hate mud, but my wife loves it. I guess it's because she never has to clean the Jeep LOL

Yah, it was a lot of fun going through it, but cleaning it, and specially the soft top, not so much fun! :D

My main 4 wheeling that I want to do doesn't include mud. Mainly want to do forest roads and trails.

I've had better luck with Marine head units in the 3 TJs I've owned over the years. Other than the obvious moisture resistance I think they make them a little sturdier.. Not sure if you've ever ridden in a small boat or not but "smooth" doesn't come to mind when thinking about the ride quality.🙂

Reactions: KimsJeep
I've had better luck with Marine head units in the 3 TJs I've owned over the years. Other than the obvious moisture resistance I think they make them a little sturdier.. Not sure if you've ever ridden in a small boat or not but "smooth" doesn't come to mind when thinking about the ride quality.🙂
Unless you're the first on the water on a calm morning.

Reactions: reddvltj
I did the boring spark plug replacement. Since the shocks are original, I assumed the plugs would be too.

Gaps at 69,500 miles on the ZF R5Ns
2 at .06, 2 at .065, 1 at .075, 1 at .078

6 at .035 should get rid of the slight stumble I get occasionally when accelerating from a stop. And the occasional rough idle when cold.

The plugs were clean at least.

Changed out the rusty outer door handles. I thought about just cleaning them up and painting them but found a pair of new ones on ebay for $20. Sanded and painted the new ones before install as added insurance. For those who have struggled with this job....I did cheat a little bit and took a hole saw to create two access holes, which makes removal and replacement of the wedges a breeze. It also makes it very simple to remove and replace the tiny lock pin on the latch itself. The other trick that helps in replacing the wedges, is to shorten them up a wee bit by grinding about 3/16" off the widest end. Makes getting them into position a little bit easier. Hope this saves somebody a little time and frustration.

IMG_1286.JPG

IMG_1280.JPG

IMG_1278.JPG

IMG_1279.JPG

IMG_1281.JPG

Installed a warn steering box skid plate. Why do the easiest projects become the most difficult? “Oooo warn steering skid for $60 on amazon warehouse! Only one available! Gotta buy it!” This was supposed to take me 5 minutes. Of course I broke a bolt that goes from frame thru the steering box. Spent a few hours trying to extract the bolt. Unsuccessful. Enough of the broken bolt is still in there to support the box so I’ll just live with it. Hope this steering box never needs to be replaced! So aggravating!

DFB6C8E1-0A5F-4419-B706-54508BF67782.jpeg

Changed out the rusty outer door handles. I thought about just cleaning them up and painting them but found a pair of new ones on ebay for $20. Sanded and painted the new ones before install as added insurance. For those who have struggled with this job....I did cheat a little bit and took a hole saw to create two access holes, which makes removal and replacement of the wedges a breeze. It also makes it very simple to remove and replace the tiny lock pin on the latch itself. The other trick that helps in replacing the wedges, is to shorten them up a wee bit by grinding about 3/16" off the widest end. Makes getting them into position a little bit easier. Hope this saves somebody a little time and frustration.

View attachment 121410

View attachment 121411

View attachment 121412

View attachment 121413

View attachment 121414
Another project I have yet to do. I appreciate the simple hacks. Should keep me from getting frustrated.(y)

Reactions: TJ Rubicus
How did you figure out where to drill the holes? Could you add approximate dimensions?

Ha, just realized measuring from the outside works. Duh.

How did you figure out where to drill the holes? Could you add approximate dimensions?
The largest of the two holes is in the center of the recessed panel on the inside of the door and gives access to the latch pin and wedge and the second of the holes is approx. the bottom of the other wedge. I just used my hand to judge the approx. area. Use a 1" and 1 1/2" hole saws and you'll be in the right ballpark.