What did you do to your TJ today?

nice! What kind did you get? I had a hell of a time finding the exact one I wanted: compass/temp/map lights. The Rubicon comes stock with a wiring harness for this. That was handy!

View attachment 126441

You guys with nice jeeps make me envious. My jeep just isn't nice enough to sport a digital readout rear view mirror. lmao! It would look out of place.

Finished the Bestop rear bumper and Bestop rear tire carrier install. Went pretty well, think I want some frame tie-ins though, as will be using for recovery and for towing a small utility trailer.
Before:
View attachment 126525
After:
View attachment 126526
View attachment 126528

Don't mind the yj with 33s and a half inch lift... Mistakes where made before I got to it :unsure:

Also, had an issue with the rear seat belt. When I unbolted it to attach the Bestop support bracket to the roll bar, it went up, but nothing I could do would make it come down! So I unbolted it completely, then held it over a bucket and sprayed a bunch of brake cleaner into the the little hole in the mechanism shown below. I finished it off by spraying a bit of silicon spray lube in there. It works great now!
View attachment 126534

On another weird note, the new rear bumper's receiver hole is too small to fit the hitch's pin, but just barely. I could almost pound it in with a hammer. Guess I need to buy a new one?
View attachment 126536

Love the single action carrier.

I’ve heard that hitch pin is a known issue. I think it’s because it’s not supposed to be used as a hitch, just recovery

The best defense against MN winters:

E035280E-9F4F-442C-9D47-414C32C79A23.jpeg

Completed my audio upgrade with 2 pair of Polk Audio db522's. The dash speakers went in alot easier than the roll bar speakers. Trying to line up the holes with the speaker bar padding in the way was a pita. Especially when I can't contort my body in tight places anymore. The dash didn't have metal braces in the way like all the YouTube videos show nor did it have any indication that braces were removed. By 02 there must have been a redesign.
1126191125.jpg
1126191124.jpg

These were the old dash speakers.
1126191126.jpg

The audio is much cleaner. I anticipate that next year with the top off I should be able to actually listen to music heading down the highway.

Swapped out my cracked plastic gas bezel with a nice s/s one. Easy peasy. Then I swapped out my rusty, bed liner painted up driver side outside door latch with a s/s unit. Thank goodness I’ve got long skinny fingers, wow what a nightmare. The old latch worked fine but looked like crap, this one looks super but it has to be pulled forward a lot farther to unlock the door. I didn’t change any of the linkage so what gives? Tomorrow i get to do the passenger side inside and outside.

Every time I consider trading the LJ for a newer Jeep, I think to myself "what is it about the new one I really like?"

I realized it came down to a better infotainment system, a hard top, and cleaner interior.

I can have all those things for under $3k. Why would I go commit to a monthly payment for THAT?!
Here what I likes. Mid arm, good stance stability and since I have a prosthetic hip it was easier to get in and out of oh! And of course the 3.6 is pretty nice. BUT regardless the LJ is more nimble, easier for ingress and regress ( thanks to Roll Cage ) and I could always swap out for an LS and last but not least ( drum Roll ) wheelbase. 104” Score!!!!

Replaced a bad 02 sensor this morning, replaced the door straps (broke one) and went for a short test drive. The bad sensor was only about a year old, but I kept getting a pending P0133 code. Also cleaned the air flow sensor too. That platinum wire was coated with black crud. The 4.0 was pretty lively again on the test drive.

Finished the Bestop rear bumper and Bestop rear tire carrier install. Went pretty well, think I want some frame tie-ins though, as will be using for recovery and for towing a small utility trailer.
Before:
View attachment 126525
After:
View attachment 126526
View attachment 126528

Don't mind the yj with 33s and a half inch lift... Mistakes where made before I got to it :unsure:

Also, had an issue with the rear seat belt. When I unbolted it to attach the Bestop support bracket to the roll bar, it went up, but nothing I could do would make it come down! So I unbolted it completely, then held it over a bucket and sprayed a bunch of brake cleaner into the the little hole in the mechanism shown below. I finished it off by spraying a bit of silicon spray lube in there. It works great now!
View attachment 126534

On another weird note, the new rear bumper's receiver hole is too small to fit the hitch's pin, but just barely. I could almost pound it in with a hammer. Guess I need to buy a new one?
View attachment 126536
1. I was thinking the same thing about a frame tie in. I’d like to know what you go with as I’d be interested as well
2. I had the same seatbelt issue! It went up and wouldn’t come back down so I spent a good hour taking it apart when all I had to really do was hold it flat so the little marble inside stays in a position to release the seatbelt🤦🏻‍♂️ Oh well, impromptu seatbelt mechanics 101 session
3. I used a hitch carrier last weekend to carry my tires to the shop and my pin didn’t fit either. Luckily I had a bolt from the hitch stabilizer I was able to use but it was a bit annoying.

I continued to disassemble the front drive assembly by removing the hubs.

I’m getting ready to replace the front end wearables during the winter down time. And I will also be installing an old man emu lift.

View attachment 126660
Can you explain what you mean by "winter down time"? The only down time I know of is prescribed maintenance and breakage repair. Everytime else is wheelin time. 😉

I think I finally found my chirp/squeak that happens after I've driven a little while and only when I hit bumps. Like the chirping u-joint sound but only one chirp per bump.

I pulled up on the park brake handle slightly while driving and it stopped. It's a little hard to do that when you drive a stick, but every time I let go to shift, chirp, every time I held the handle, quiet.

At the end to the drive, just a slight squeeze of the handle using the center console seemed to work. Which makes me think it's the pivot point of the handle. So I'll be tightening up the brake lever and cables after the holiday to see if that fixes it.

I've owned enough old creaky, squeaky, cars but this noise is like nails on chalkboard to me and high enough pitch you can still hear it over a turned up radio.

1. I was thinking the same thing about a frame tie in. I’d like to know what you go with as I’d be interested as well
2. I had the same seatbelt issue! It went up and wouldn’t come back down so I spent a good hour taking it apart when all I had to really do was hold it flat so the little marble inside stays in a position to release the seatbelt🤦🏻‍♂️ Oh well, impromptu seatbelt mechanics 101 session
3. I used a hitch carrier last weekend to carry my tires to the shop and my pin didn’t fit either. Luckily I had a bolt from the hitch stabilizer I was able to use but it was a bit annoying.

I bought the Poison Spyder ones off of Amazon, the price was right. Only con (if you see it as a con) is that they need to be painted before install. It said 14 left in stock a couple days ago when I ordered but now it says only two left, so you might want to jump on it if you're set on them.

I actually googled it too when my seat belt wouldn't come down, and I thought I was being dumb too with not holding it level, but turn out mine was too gunked up anyways.

Other people have said that it's the powder coat that causes the pin not to fit, which I can definetly see as I could almost get mine in with a hammer. I have no doubt that a bit of sand paper wrapped around a pencil will get rid of the issue.