What did you do to your TJ today?

Put the new matching spare in rotation today. Seems out of balance, little shimmy at 40mph. Guess it’s back to the tire shop to have them rebalance. Is that common on a 35in tire or just my luck? They used the stick on weight vs clamp on.

Rotated the tires and put black center caps and lugs on. Looks much better

A23FC4D1-9EE4-4ABD-B6D6-11B65031F384.jpeg

D55784ED-D67E-446C-B07D-7BDBF911B273.jpeg

Three small projects today.

1. 2.5# fire extinguisher mounted under the driver's seat. I don't know how some of you fit a 5# unit there. the 2.5# only has about 1/4" of clearance under the seat when moved forward.
1592091793660.png

2. Dead-pedal installed. Even with the nutsert tool I hate nutserts.
1592091840244.png

3. Rear diff oil changed. PO must have done it recently as it came out golden, but the plug was leaking a bit so it had to be done. Everything looks good. Used a Lubelocker gasket when I put it back on, and took the opportunity to clean and paint the cover. Also, used to Teflon tape on the plug so hopefully it will not leak.
1592091962631.png

1592091984726.png

Front diff service is next, but I think I may do a lunchbox locker at the same time so it may be a little while. I have never pulled a diff apart, so I have to build up some confidence to tackle the front locker.

Last edited:
That's not the correct elbow from what I can see.

You want the one that has a .060" restrictor inside for the REAR elbow - and O'Reilly's apparently doesn't carry it because they didn't have one when I went through this...

Or am I missing something?

The new PCV from O’Riellys matched the old one that was in the valve cover exactly... perhaps the old elbow was the wrong one anyway? Also what do you mean by “REAR” elbow; I only have one in the valve cover?

Not much to this airbox and certainly no baffles inside. I'm running an OEM Wix paper filter. Just lucky or poor hearing? lol
I can hear mine when the top is off and climbing a hill at low speed...makes a "sucking" noise. Weird huh?
I also have a Magnaflow exhaust which covers it up most of the time...and a radio. My TJ definitely felt "peppier" after the install, not a placebo because I wasn't expecting anything at all.

Can penetrating fluid soak upwards though? I'll likely use the ATF/acetone mix and will definitely give it a try. I'm curious about anything regarding the effectiveness against bolts threaded upwards rather than down or horizontally.
Yes, penetrating oil can actually soak upwards, by capillary action ("creeping" along narrow spaces). It's not as fast or as effective as horizontal, or, certainly, downward motion, but it will move up some. The problem is, it generally runs out of supply fairly quickly because most of the oil sprayed runs down and away/off, thus robbing the creep upwards of more oil with which to advance.

Reactions: RHP61 and Fonz54