What did you do to your TJ today?

Gave mine it's first oil change today(well it's first since I just got it Tuesday) put new wiper blades on. Grease everything that had a fitting, tightened up the negative battery cable end with a screw till I can get to the parts store and buy a new one!!!!! Geeze my BIL sure wasn't to preventive maintenance oriented........
While you're at it, look all over for loose bolts and things that look disconnected. I've found several bolts on mine that were loose and one that had no nut at all! Tug on things, push on things, try to get things to move that shouldn't.

Last edited:
Put the new matching spare in rotation today. Seems out of balance, little shimmy at 40mph. Guess it’s back to the tire shop to have them rebalance. Is that common on a 35in tire or just my luck? They used the stick on weight vs clamp on.

Rotated the tires and put black center caps and lugs on. Looks much better

View attachment 169552

View attachment 169553
Definitely better with the black center caps!
I have seen people here mention on multiple occasions that it has taken them 2 or even 3 tries at getting a tire balanced before it actually is balanced, especially with 35" or bigger.
Do make sure that your spare wheel is not out-of-round or out-of-true/bent as either will cause it to be un-balancable. A competent tire technician (not as common as you might expect) should be able to detect either of those situations.

Last edited:
Reactions: John Cooper
What kind of tree is that behind your TJ? Does it naturally grow like that with a 20 cm trunk and 180 cm canopy (eyeball estimates)?

Yes, it naturally grow like this. even bigger. last year it was around 250 cm.. i have two of them.the offical name is . Catalpa Bignoniodes Nana.. we call them Catalpa tree.

they are very common over here also in parks.

Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
103028587_10102973743486714_1565188742220577398_o.jpg

Today, I finally stopped saying "I need to take the painted fender flares off and repaint them" and started on it.

I removed one front flare and then a small lower piece after I took this photo. All it took was an 8mm wrench, a pair of needle-nose pliers, and the patience of a saint. 😆 I cleaned all the dirt and grim off afterward with warm soapy water. It went pretty well — nothing stripped out. Now to do the other three. 😭 I took the plastic "Jeep" branded piece off from in front of the grill, removed one of the front bumper bolts, and called it a night.

View attachment 169704

Today, I finally stopped saying "I need to take the painted fender flares off and repaint them" and started on it.

I removed one front flare and then a small lower piece after I took this photo. All it took was an 8mm wrench, a pair of needle-nose pliers, and the patience of a saint. 😆 I cleaned all the dirt and grim off afterward with warm soapy water. It went pretty well — nothing stripped out. Now to do the other three. 😭 I took the plastic "Jeep" branded piece off from in front of the grill, removed one of the front bumper bolts, and called it a night.
Welcome to the Forum. I have found it a Great place to learn and definitely a Great place for some laughs :)

Front diff service is next, but I think I may do a lunchbox locker at the same time so it may be a little while. I have never pulled a diff apart, so I have to build up some confidence to tackle the front locker.

When you disassemble the front differential and remove the axles to install the lunch box locker; I would suggest you consider replacing the inner axle seals and inspect the axle unit bearings. This would be an ideal time to replace them IF they are needed...
Recently I upgraded the R&P on the '01 Sport; this was the perfect time to have the front axle seals replaced along with an inspection of the unit bearings since I did not know if they were the originals.

Last edited:
I bent my ZJ tierod on the last outing, so I just installed a currectlync system. I was rather annoyed with the bracket for the stabilizer. I had a perfectly good OME stabilizer but the metal shroud over the rod interfered with the bracket. Now have a Rancho 5000 stabilizer.

Definitely better with the black center caps!
I have seen people here mention on multiple occasions that it has taken them 2 or even 3 tries at getting a tire balanced before it actually is balanced, especially with 35" or bigger.
Do make sure that your spare wheel is not out-of-round or out-of-true/bent as either will cause it to be un-balancable. A competent tire technician (not as common as you might expect) should be able to detect either of those situations.

Thank you! Yeah the one out of balance is a new tire and wheel freshly mounted. Ill swing by the tire shop then, I really appreciate the input, I can see where balancing a 35 might be tricky. Went to Discount Tire hoping they do a lot of these.

Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
Took off my Smittybilt roof rack, rear carrier cargo basket and gas can holders. Gonna sell the RTT as well. Probably 150lbs of stuff I never used the PO had put on. Put on a Monroe steering stabilizer. No more shimmy at 50mph.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Fixed the tailgate hinge nut issue I created (stripped nut threads) when installing the MORryde reinforcement kit.

Going through the nut, drilled through the tailgate with a 1/4" drill. Opened the hole in the rear side of the tailgate with Harbor Freight step dills (no one was hurt!). Due to the shallow depth of the tailgate, the final size was drilled with a cut down step drill. Used a 5/16-18 serrated flange nut and finished off with a 3/4" rubber hole plug.

Tailgate_Hinge_Nut.jpg

This week;
Changed the oil, checked the fluids (will need to drain / refill all), ordered new parts for the cooling system overhaul.

Today, took her for a bath and VRP'ed everything plastic. I'll be buying new fenders eventually, but for now, they looked like crap and really needed it. Looks so much better now!! I also cleaned the interior dash and vaccuumed the seats, I'll be getting covers for those eventually but for now they definitely needed at least to be vacuumed and I'll probably rent an extractor next weekend to clean both my mazda and the jeep seats.

Also, found out that I'm pretty sure my end links need replaced, you can see the amount of play between the two pictures...

IMG_20200614_192437.jpg

IMG_20200614_192434.jpg

IMG_20200614_190019.jpg

Worked on getting my new-to-me fog lites up and running. Tapped into the necessary wires in the MFS, and routed the wires down to the center console/shift surround area where I'll install my switch. Something is "up" with the lites themselves apparently - I was able to get 12v through the PDU relay, but the lites themselves aren't working. Further troubleshooting will be required once I'm done with the switch.