What did you do to your TJ today?

Tom's Unsolicited Advice

My classic questions (or variants) are from many years driving cars and motorcycles where a slight mistake can turn into a big problem. I used this with my kids when they learned to drive.

1. You are travelling down a road and there is an intersection with a stop sign for intersecting traffic. There is a car on the left coming up to that stop sign. What can you assume?

Answer: Nothing. You expect the car to blow right on through the stop sign. If you are wrong and they actually stop, you may be rightfully amazed at your wrongness. If you are right and you didn't slow down or stop, weren't prepared to turn away to your way out (and you *always* keep your eyes open for a way out, right?), or didn't take other evasive action, you and/or your passengers are injured or die.

2. You are sitting at a red light waiting for it to turn green. It turns green, but a car is approaching on the cross street. The other car has the red light. What can you assume?

Answer: Nothing. You expect the car to blow right on through the red light. If you are wrong and they actually stop, you may be rightfully amazed at your wrongness. If you are right and you didn't slow down or wait to go until after they stopped, weren't prepared to turn away to your way out (and you *always* keep your eyes open for a way out, right?), or didn't take other evasive action, you and/or your passengers are injured or die.

3. You are stopped at a stop sign waiting to cross a street and an approaching car to your left has their turn signal on to turn onto the street you are on. They start to slow down to make the turn. What can you assume?

Answer: Nothing. You expect the car to blow right on by, accelerating as it does so. If you are wrong and they actually turn, you may be rightfully amazed at your wrongness. If you are right and you had turned out onto the road in front of them, you and/or your passengers are injured or die.

4. You are stopped at a stop sign behind another car waiting to cross a street or take a right turn. Traffic clears and they pull ahead or turn to the right. What can you assume?

Answer: Nothing. You expect the car to stop right in front of you for no apparent reason. If you are wrong and they actually continue, you may be rightfully amazed at your wrongness. If you are right and you had accelerated expecting them to continue with their progress, you would have rear-ended them; causing a chain reaction; you and/or your passengers are injured or die.

5. You are travelling behind another car on a street with no turn-offs, no obstructions, no kids jumping into the street, no other traffic. There is no reason at all why the driver should suddenly slam on their brakes for no apparent reason. What can you assume?

Answer: Nothing. You expect the driver ahead to suddenly slam on their brakes for no apparent reason. If you are wrong and they actually continue all the way down the street or highway in a sane and safe manner, you may be rightfully amazed at your wrongness. If you are right and you didn't slow down or fall back to be prepared, weren't prepared to turn away to your way out (and you *always* keep your eyes open for a way out, right?), or didn't take other evasive action, you and/or your passengers are injured or die.

Over-arching Rule of Survival: ALL other drivers, seen and unseen, are idiots, asleep, drunk, yelling at their kids, putting on makeup, shaving, ordering a pizza on their cell phone, texting pictures of their cat, just spilled hot coffee on their lap, don't know what a turn signal, red light or stop sign means, or are looking to get an insurance payment (they are out to get you).

Any other conclusion or not paying attention to that rule will get you and/or your passengers injured or killed.
Exactly what my parents told me!

Reactions: TomT509
Link please!

6a0d3b12f2ee7dbe6a816626a64500a9.jpg
actually here is the exact one. Not sure what hockey pucks cost but thus cost me 3 dollars each for 3 inch. Stackable too with longer bolt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JMT
Starting to put my new NX Trek Top on today. Didn't finish, got too late, and I really need sunlight to heat up the top a little more. It got down to 76 degrees in the shop and wasn't warm enough to pull the rear windows around the corner. We will try again tomorrow.

I did remove the ratty roll bar covers.

IMG-0075.JPG

Oh ya, and it got a most needed bath!

It got down to 76 degrees in the shop...

You just slay me, @ac_... I mean, I completely understand the need for warmer temps/sunlight for installing the top, but I have to laugh. I was transferring tools from my old toolbox into my new (larger) one this evening, and was pleased with the balmy 48 degrees I had in the garage! LOL Sharp TJ, btw!

Garage family photo.jpg

You just slay me, @ac_... I mean, I completely understand the need for warmer temps/sunlight for installing the top, but I have to laugh. I was transferring tools from my old toolbox into my new (larger) one this evening, and was pleased with the balmy 48 degrees I had in the garage! LOL Sharp TJ, btw!

Thanks @Squatch, congrats on the toolbox.

Starting to put my new NX Trek Top on today. Didn't finish, got too late, and I really need sunlight to heat up the top a little more. It got down to 76 degrees in the shop and wasn't warm enough to pull the rear windows around the corner. We will try again tomorrow.

View attachment 30519

So clean! What are you putting on your flares? Love Flame Red!

I washed mine the other day, already dirty now, but it came out nice...
IMG_7905.JPG

I think there's a screwdriver missing...

Reactions: VallenMaes and ac_
I was reading through a thread and stumbled on a post by @jerrybransford he was talking about modifying your ride to what you’ll use it for. Realized this is great advice!!! I wasn’t doing what my vision was for my first one! So I made changes and did that very thing.
07f43bbfed1ebc30a52931bec88a5c4d.jpg

So here she is... new 31” tires. Removed the light bar... @Chris the whistling was driving me Bat Sh** crazy!!! And added my red letters IN THE CORRECT SPOT!!! Drivability has returned!! More power, better braking.. no rubbing! I’m happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was reading through a thread and stumbled on a post by @jerrybransford he was talking about modifying your ride to what you’ll use it for. Realized this is great advice!!! I wasn’t doing what my vision was for my first one! So I made changes and did that very thing. View attachment 30556
So here she is... new 31” tires. Removed the light bar... @Chris the whistling was driving me Bat Sh** crazy!!! And added my red letters IN THE CORRECT SPOT!!! Drivability has returned!! More power, better braking.. no rubbing! I’m happy

I love the look, well done...its one of those 'less is more' Jeeps. :)

Reactions: TrooperJosh
I was reading through a thread and stumbled on a post by @jerrybransford he was talking about modifying your ride to what you’ll use it for. Realized this is great advice!!! I wasn’t doing what my vision was for my first one! So I made changes and did that very thing. View attachment 30556

Looking good! Now find yourself a set of factory flares and you will be in like Flynn

Reactions: TrooperJosh
How do you like the STT Pro tires?
So far I’m really impressed. I thought I might do a review every rotation (5,000 miles). I’m hopefully going off-road here in the next couple of weeks, so I’ll report back. The road noise is not bad to me, but I often have my sound system going pretty strong. This time of year the hardtop is on, but there are days when the windows are down. I think they look awesome, truly one of the better looking tires, and I think Cooper has a very good reputation for building a great tire and so I was confident buying them. Also, the sidewalls have Armor Tek which gives increased strength via cross ply technology. A must for me and the rocks

Reactions: JMT

View attachment 30519

Got some sun today so finished the top!
Back veiw:
IMG-0076.JPG

Side view:
IMG-0077.JPG

inside view:

IMG-0078.JPG