What did you do to your TJ today?

The interior door handle on my half doors (which I've only had for 3 weeks) decided to stop working. Took the door apart to fix the little plastic clip that attaches the handle to the bar (which goes to the latch). Pretty easy job. Bit of a pain in the neck to get the plastic clip to go in right, but not horrible. I would however recommend not doing it with the door laying on diamond plate. Scratched up the paint, but I don't really care that much...

IMG_0187.jpg

What happened? I’ve thought of doing that too.
The shift rod purchased from ebay was just different enough that the shifting was weird. I couldn't really tell when it was in each gear ratio. I pretty much attribute it to the bottom portion of the rod, that mounts through a hole in the TC shift rod, is too long, and may be hitting the front or back (or both) of the metal console bracket it's mounted inside, causing it to bind. I'm going to trim that to match the oem rod and try again. If that doesn't work, it's into the scrap heap.

Changed out the HVAC/blower motor resistor and finally upgraded the stock headlights to WHDZ LEDs I bought on Amazon. Anyone interested in some Classic Headlights? Ha!

Reactions: Fouledplugs
The shift rod purchased from ebay was just different enough that the shifting was weird. I couldn't really tell when it was in each gear ratio. I pretty much attribute it to the bottom portion of the rod, that mounts through a hole in the TC shift rod, is too long, and may be hitting the front or back (or both) of the metal console bracket it's mounted inside, causing it to bind. I'm going to trim that to match the oem rod and try again. If that doesn't work, it's into the scrap heap.
Hey are you saying you bought a new shift rod from ebay and it doesn't fit right? Because that is what I did and I compared it to the stock one and it was dead nuts. I wonder if you just got a bad one. I would see if they can ship you a new one.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Next thing on my list is to replace the brakes and change all the fluids. I think I've spent enough on the appearance this year. In the spring I'm gonna have it repainted then get some tube fenders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bill Clark
Reactions: ac_
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Yeah I bought exact same one, I had no problems with it. Maybe you just got a bad one.
I must have. The problems were:

Too long on the portion at the bottom, circled in yellow in the photo below, by about 1/8", and the hole for the retaining clip was too close to the end
Shift rod.jpg

It made getting the rod end started in the shift shaft for the TC almost impossible. I finally got it after messing with it for about half an hour.

The hole for the spring end in the flat portion was too small; I had a heck of a time getting that spring back in.
The rod was not flat quite high enough, it hit in the slot in the shift bracket up front, and wedged into that slot.

It sounds like I got one that was made in a hurry, and is just wrong. Ebay seller has been contacted, to hopefully get a replacement. I'm willing to try again if so.

So I suppose you had no shifting issues after your install...?

Last edited:
Reactions: ac_
Purchased a new JL Rubi take off tire (BFG KO2 285/70R17). Who knew this tire on the JL is actually a Load Range C. I remember my TJ had load range E tires from the factory. SMH

I must have. The problems were:

Too long on the portion at the bottom, circled in yellow in the photo below, by about 1/8", and the hole for the retaining clip was too close to the end
View attachment 58123
It made getting the rod end started in the shift shaft for the TC almost impossible. I finally got it after messing with it for about half an hour.

The hole for the spring end in the flat portion was too small; I had a heck of a time getting that spring back in.
The rod was not flat quite high enough, it hit in the slot in the shift bracket up front, and wedged into that slot.

It sounds like I got one that was made in a hurry, and is just wrong. Ebay seller has been contacted, to hopefully get a replacement. I'm willing to try again if so.

So I suppose you had no shifting issues after your install...?

yep here is mine I did one on the stick and the transfer case no issues on either:

20171119_224412.jpg

20171112_225934.jpg

Reactions: CybrSlydr