What do I need to do to put 35s on a stock Wrangler TJ?

Putting my 31" KO2's to work.
blackcanyon003.jpg

I would say a properly built TJ on 33’s would destroy a badly (read: cheaply?) built TJ on 35’s…

(No winky needed here)

I passed several JK’s on 37’s during the Red Clay Rally.

In fact I shocked myself at what a savvy set up with 5.13’s and a pair of ARB’s will do.

They spun all over stuff I just billy goated over.

I keep thinking I need to go to 35’s but can’t really justify why. My LJ loves it’s 33x10.5’s.

Cost isn’t a concern just wondering what do I really gain. I know what I’d lose.

I passed several JK’s on 37’s during the Red Clay Rally.

In fact I shocked myself at what a savvy set up with 5.13’s and a pair of ARB’s will do.

They spun all over stuff I just billy goated over.

I keep thinking I need to go to 35’s but can’t really justify why. My LJ loves it’s 33x10.5’s.

Cost isn’t a concern just wondering what do I really gain. I know what I’d lose.
What do you mean by "a pair of ARB's?"

I really like the the way the jeep looks with 35s on it. 33s would work just fine though. I just want to know what exactly I need to do/buy to make my jeep work with 35s. It doesn't need to be super tough, just enough that I don't have to worry about something breaking all of a sudden
I put together a list of absolute minimal things you will need and reasonable prices for components that are mid-grade and not junk. You wouldn’t save much if you went with garbage, so this is very reasonable, but not including a regear which is not required to run 35’s safely, and not including a spare, so running a spare delete. This is absolute least I would do and I would not wheel it on anything beyond easy trail (AKA Mall Crawler)

4” Springs ($350)
4” Shocks ($250)
1” Body Lift ($175)
1” Motor Mount Lift ($50)
Adjustable front TB ($225)
Adjustable rear TB ($200)
Extended front brake lines ($30)
Extended rear sway bar links ($40)
Front sway bar disconnects ($80)
Bumpstops front and rear ($20)
Transfer Case shifter cable ($170)
Adjustable control arms ($1000)
SYE ($350)
DC ($350)
BMB Pads ($300)
35x 12.5r15 ($900)
15x8” wheels ($450)
Dana 30 4340 shafts ($550)
Dana 35 1541H shafts ($300)

$5015 + tax + install or diy

Last edited:
Reactions: Fluxor and Woodrow
I put together a list of absolute minimal things you will need and reasonable prices for components that are mid-grade and not junk. You wouldn’t save much if you went with garbage, so this is very reasonable, but not including a regear which is not required to run 35’s safely, and not including a spare, so running a spare delete. This is absolute least I would do and I would not wheel it on any difficult trails.

4” Springs ($350)
4” Shocks ($250)
1” Body Lift ($175)
SYE ($350)
DC ($350)
BMB Pads ($300)
35x 12.5r15 ($900)
15x8” wheels ($450)

Regear
$1500
Bingo. All this proves really, is that if you're not going wheeling, save the cash for when you need an engine or transmission. Because that is about what it would cost to go up 5inches in tire size. Not worth it for looks.

Reactions: JMT
ARB's are Air Lockers so the Jeep had front and rear Air Lockers

Correct, should of been more specific.

flexy suspension + lockers + 33's = low speed traction machine.

I avoid wheel spin on things when I can now, why I love locking it up on the big obstacles.

I put together a list of absolute minimal things you will need and reasonable prices for components that are mid-grade and not junk. You wouldn’t save much if you went with garbage, so this is very reasonable, but not including a regear which is not required to run 35’s safely, and not including a spare, so running a spare delete. This is absolute least I would do and I would not wheel it on anything beyond easy trail (AKA Mall Crawler)

4” Springs ($350)
4” Shocks ($250)
1” Body Lift ($175)
SYE ($350)
DC ($350)
BMB Pads ($300)
35x 12.5r15 ($900)
15x8” wheels ($450)

@JMT made a good list and it is the most comprehensive answer to OP's question in 6 pages. As OP is now talking 33s and with stated intentions of 2 tracks for mountain biking access, I think a 3" spring only lift would work OK. So the body lift, motor mount lift, cable T-case shifter, brake pads and axle shafts could all be done without from the mall crawler list. That is pretty much my current set up. Here's my front end being cycled recently (definitely not a rock crawler but no significant interference w/ just under 8" up + down) :
1642779340930.png

But, that only removes about $1350 from the roughly $11000 (parts and labor) cost WITHOUT re-gear. Add lockers, shafts and gears and you're around $15K. So, as others have said, by far the most bang for your buck (looks and function) on a stock TJ is a 1" lift and 31s (see @RINC s pic on 31s, albeit w/ several other mods...).

Last edited:
Reactions: P man
Will running highline fenders eliminate the body lift? I was looking at doing a 4 inch lift and running 33s with some flex. Not a huge fan of body lifts.
Yes. You could run 35’s with 4” + highline as long as the highline gives room not only up, but also back.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
Will running highline fenders eliminate the body lift? I was looking at doing a 4 inch lift and running 33s with some flex. Not a huge fan of body lifts.
33s with a 4" lift won't benefit from highlines unless you also move the shock mounts to create more up travel.

Depends what cheaply and good quality mean to you.
-35”’s tires=>$1000
-Lift kit= $400-800 or $1800 like you posted.
-wheels=$400
-lots of gas money b/c you’ll get 8-9 MPG’s or less
I get 14.6 mpg with my 35's. You just have to gear appropriately and not drive like an idiot. :)

Reactions: Jamesval035