What do I need to run 33x12.5 tires with no off-roading?

To my understanding, 2.5" may clear 33" tires but in order to maintain close to oem specs at least 4" of lift is recommended for the 33" tire.

So i think that is the route am going as i am trying to do it right.

Jeeps were meant for off roading. So if it doesn't go off road, you don't have to "do it right", you can do it the way you are going to drive it. Sort of like saying my Audi S5 doesn't have enough clearance for off roading. Yeah, no kidding. I prefer a little lower center of gravity and a nicer look. Therefore, doing it right for me is 2.5" of lift and 33's. If I was Jerry B, I would do it completely different. My TJ has a TON of clearance for on road use. More than I will ever need.

Now it seems you are not wanting to stick to your original post. You stated, "Note that I am not planning on going Off-road." You are setting your TJ up for off road use now, so you changed your mind. Factory spect is for off road use.

Anyway, I would take mine off road as it sets and not think twice about it. Not many rocks around my parts, so it would be more mud or preferably snow.

Last edited:
Reactions: primetime4
TJ's aren't Audi's. Your's does not have a ton of clearance for on road use.

A stock Jeep has about 4" of up. Would you believe that I routinely use 5-6" going to the grocery store? Up travel equals comfort and stability.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT and xxdabroxx
Jeeps were meant for off roading. So if it doesn't go off road, you don't have to "do it right", you can do it the way you are going to drive it. Sort of like saying my Audi S5 doesn't have enough clearance for off roading. Yeah, no kidding. I prefer a little lower center of gravity and a nicer look. Therefore, doing it right for me is 2.5" of lift and 33's. If I was Jerry B, I would do it completely different. My TJ has a TON of clearance for on road use. More than I will ever need.

Now it seems you are not wanting to stick to your original post. You stated, "Note that I am not planning on going Off-road." You are setting your TJ up for off road use now, so you changed your mind. Factory spect is for off road use.

Anyway, I would take mine off road as it sets and not think twice about it. Not many rocks around my parts, so it would be more mud or preferably snow.

I am sticking to my original plan, maybe you're not fallowing. the reason i want to lift it is so that i can run 33" tires and stay as close to specs as possible. Not just clearing.

Reactions: xxdabroxx and jjvw
It may be on a tag or stamped into your diff cover. Alternatively you can enter your VIN into this:

https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing
If you think it has already been regeared you can jack the back axle up, put it on jack stands. Chock the front tires. Then put the transmission in neutral. Then mark a spot on the tires and rotate the driveshaft until the tires have made one complete rotation. However many driveshaft rotations to one tire rotation is your gear ratio. IE 3.07:1, 4.10:1, etc.

There should be and axle tag on your rear axle that has the ratio tag on it. 3.07 and 3.73 seem to be the most common. Either way you will lose 5th gear on any type of grade if you run 33’s. It’s doable, but it will be gutless. Ideally you’d want 4.56 gears for 33’s which runs into the issue of what rear axle you have.

For the uninitiated a simple thing like putting bigger tires on your Jeep results in many other unforeseen issues and costs popping up. Any factory axel ratio below 3.73 will probably not be acceptable to you depending on your daily driving routine. A gear swap to restore stock performance will costs you $1200+. Going with 4” suspension lift will possibly necessitate lowering your T-case, engine lift mounts, lengthening sway bar links, adjustable front Track bar etc. The rabbit hole you venture into is deep young Padawan

Reactions: jazngab
All guys. Started to get needed parts for my jeep restoration. I am planing on running 33 12.5 tires and wondering if I need to do a body lift? i am planning on replacing all the body mounts after repairing the tub and frame.

Whats needed in term of suspension lift/body lift in order to run 33 with no issues?

Note that I am not planning on going Off-road. It will be mostly for look as I love how the 33" 12.5 look.

Please advise

attached is my jeep

View attachment 107608

You won't find a lot of praise for RC around here :)

I have this kit on my Jeep and it rides great both on and off road with 33s and no rubbing issues. It's an all in one kit with good products and pretty much one stop shopping. Dirk at DPG Off road is a good guy to talk to. I don't know your price point but this isn't super cheap.
Also the guy who said the idea about cutting corners and going cheap just because it won't off road is a bad idea is very correct. Don't cut corners.

https://dpgoffroad.com/product/old-man-emu-ultimate-tjlj-wrangler-kit/

1565294406406.png

here is the doc for the specs. i believe its a 3.55 gear ration

Attachments

• document(3).pdf
    4.8 KB · Views: 187
Can't see the pdf file, it won't show up. I don't think they are "ration"ing gears ;)
But from what I understand you will be miserable with 33s and anything less than 4.88 gears.

Reactions: jjvw
That still doesn't show your gear ratios. At the end of the day, to do this right you are going to be dropping...
$1500 lift
$1800 gears
$1000 for 33s

You could absolutely cut corners...
$200 spacer lift
Don't regear (you'll be miserable)
$1000 for 33s

Its not about the money. I just wanted to know what gear ration am seating on.

Reactions: JMT
Its not about the money. I just wanted to know what gear ration am seating on.

OH, well that's good then. Most of the time money is a gating factor as to what people can do to their rig :)

In the end I think you get the idea that everyone encourages going the right route and not cutting corners because in the long run you have less problems.
Whatever you decide to do start a rig build page so we can follow you :)