What do you do for a day job?

Materials Manager at a large diesel engine assembly facility. I started working there 23 years ago as a test cell controls engineer. Pretty cool job, testing and diagnosing engines. This is where my interest in mechanics begun. I later had the opportunity to run the engine audit lab, also a really cool job. Some years later, I managed the manufacturing and assembly areas until I got my current job. I`ve also been teaching at a local University mainly technology and IoT stuff. Also working from home (both jobs) for a few months now...

Wow , Some of you guys have Real Jobs.. I spent 39yrs working on the BN Railroad. Worked 5yrs in the Car Department, beatin on boxcars with a sledgehammer, and 4yrs Laid off in the 80's, And 30yrs in Train Service, 25 of those as a Engineer. Retired 3yrs ago.. Now I work as a domestic engineer for the bride as she has 3 1/2 yrs to go as a Train Dispatcher for the UP Railroad..

What a great thread. I’m an A&P mechanic by trade. Was lead mechanic at the Cessna Service Center repairing business jets. Moved up the ladder to management at the center. Was also the manager for post production test flight and customer delivery. Today, I’m an off site DOM (Dir. of Maintenance) for a number of companies and also assist people in buying or selling their jets, acting as their maintenance rep. I started this business 5 years ago. I bought my parents company a few years ago, so doing both now. It’s an ads specialty’s business. They stared with Pizza Hut and did much of the early marketing for them. If you’ve seen a rent a center sign, that was moms design.

When you ride a desk all day, sometimes you dream about doing your job. Then you look outside and it's -10F and snowing and go back to work on your PC. 🤭

I was raised on a farm, so I know the work involved. And remember the conditions (hot, cold, rain, snow) it had to be done in. It's why I still like to get my hands dirty to regain some balance.
Exactly right, not always an easy day on the job, especially in the peak of summer or winter, but at the end of the day I wouldn't trade it for any office job in the world.

Sales Manager in the Security Branch, we do CCTV/ Network installations complete with CAT network/fiber cabling for different kind of companies and government buildings.

after being a VW mechanic for 10 yrs
I worked on VW at a dealer in NH for 5 years. Got the job right out of tech school. It turned my passion and love for wrenching into work so I left it all behind and joined the Marines.

Now I'm a fireman. The schedule is great for working on the Jeep, 2 24hr shifts a week. With the wife working FT and no kids (other than the furry kind) I'm in a good spot to keep up with the mods.

Last edited:
I run this thing. I am a CT Tech at a small rural hospital. Actually really in enjoy my job. One of the few jobs you can tell the person you are helping out "I hope I never see you again." and you don't get in trouble. Before that I was in the Army for about 8 yrs and change.

IMG_20190205_141347 (1).jpg

I worked on VW at a dealer in NH for 5 years. Got the job right out of tech school. It turned my passion and love for wrenching into work so I left it all behind and joined the Marines.
Mine right out of school was the Honda dealer, was only there 3-4yrs.

Reactions: Axeman
I'm a Field Engineer and Civil Design Lead for a large energy corporation. I travel mainly in the Southeast, inspect power plants and manage Civil Engineering projects. It's actually a lot of fun. Very challenging and I get to use my brain to solve different problems almost everyday, so it keeps my mind sharp. The pay is good, the benefits are great, and I pretty much make my own schedule. My boss is a good friend and flies high cover for me.

I plan on retiring in about 3 years, but it's going to be hard. I love my job and the people I work with. My wife and I have both been working from home since march (With me travelling off and on) and at this point I don't see me ever going back to the office full time. I'll keep working from home most days of the week. Which is good, because our mountain cabin is about a 1.5 hour commute to the office.

I'm a Field Engineer and Civil Design Lead for a large energy corporation. I travel mainly in the Southeast, inspect power plants and manage Civil Engineering projects. It's actually a lot of fun. Very challenging and I get to use my brain to solve different problems almost everyday, so it keeps my mind sharp. The pay is good, the benefits are great, and I pretty much make my own schedule. My boss is a good friend and flies high cover for me.

I plan on retiring in about 3 years, but it's going to be hard. I love my job and the people I work with. My wife and I have both been working from home since march (With me travelling off and on) and at this point I don't see me ever going back to the office full time. I'll keep working from home most days of the week. Which is good, because our mountain cabin is about a 1.5 hour commute to the office.

I understand the commute, my other job is 1.5hrs 1 way from home, I am glad on only go one maybe two times a month now.

I'll be starting as a trader at a professional trading firm in Chicago very soon. The options and futures markets that started in Chicago are very interesting and the amount of math / tech that goes into trading derivatives effectively is second to very few other industries. I don't like project work very much so being a trader where you are constantly reacting to whats going on in the market suits me well.
Be sure to alert me of the next Kodak
Please

Super cool seeing all the different things everyone here does! Some of this stuff I had no idea existed.

I currently work as a tax analyst with a payroll company, basically making sure our system is up to date with all the tax-related legislative changes out there (and there's a lot this year! lol).

Some of me would love to have an outside job again, but I get to work from home full time, during the summer it's usually pretty low-key and it pays the bills pretty well so I'm not complaining ha.

I’m RETIRED! I have a mechanical engineering degree from Michigan Tech (wheeled a K5 Blazer back then) and spent 35 years working for the local utility company at a nuclear power plant.

Another husky here! Graduated with a mechanical engineering degree. I spent ten years in automotive as a manufacturing engineer. I designed and built the assembly line for the previous gen F150 outside rearview mirror, as well as other Ford programs. Worked for GM for a while too, building lifters of all things. Got out of automotive and into the place I've been for the last ten years. I'm now the ops director. We run 11 injection molding presses for ourself and assemble all of it. We have our own tool room and build our own molds. 1 wire, two sinkers, four CNC's for steel and carbon work... Plus the assorted general machine shop stuff. It's been pretty rewarding working for a place like this, as I get to do a lot of different things that strike my fancy.

If you really boil it down though, my job is lead problem solver and Lean implementation expert.

I dove into buying a restaurant about 3 years ago this month. So my job title is trash picker upper, cook, server, toilet cleaner!.. my wife and I have had to learn to be around each other every day, all the time!... but after 23 years of marriage it has been fine.. we are doing a lot of catering and some BBQ competitions... haven’t this year for obvious reasons, but hope soon we will buy a large building to rent out for weddings And gatherings and provide food to it.