What do you guys use to camp / live out of your Jeeps?

Yeah hard sides are a good thing sometimes

beartent.jpg

When I get home from this trip offshore, I plan on adding linear actuators, so I can lower the COG on my trailer during travel and then raise it to annex height for when I find a spot.

Just to make it more complicated, because it can't be any worse than the freaking table on the right in the pic to set up.
View attachment 60214

I have that same table buy mine has the back drop and a third table with a sink. Sometimes I need an extra day on vacation to set it up and break it down.

I never said there was anything wrong with it, I simply said that I don't understand it.

In no way am I trying to be negative. Like I said, I think it looks cool!
Hey buddy, yeah, that’s what I said, “don’t understand.” I didn’t say you said anything was “wrong with it.” Check post #65, which has not been edited. My post was in good fun. Sorry if there was some misunderstanding.

Reactions: 05 Blue Unlimited
Sometimes when we camp this way and are traveling down the Hwy, my wife walks back to use the bathroom. On her way back, she stops at the refrigerator, takes out a cold beer and sits at the table and looks out the window at the country we are going through. Great way to travel and camp.
IMG_20160715_124934142_HDR.jpg

I wish I could sleep in a hammock. I find them too constricting. Same with sleeping bags.

If you can lay in a bed there is a hammock for you.

Don't think of these hammocks like the casual ones in your backyard, they don't leave you sleeping like a banana.

There is a foot box in the gathered end asymmetrical hammock and you actually lay flat in it at a slight diagonal.

Or you can use a bridge hammock if that is still too much for you, they lay flat like a bed.

Footbox style:

diag.jpg

Bridge Style:

bridge.jpg

For winter camping w/o heat a very good mummy bag and insulation below you is a must, sounds like you wouldn't be caught in a sub zero degree bag with the hood closed and only your mouth exposed haha:

mum.jpg

Both inside your mummy bag, right? :)

I call that the bear burrito!

Anything you want to keep warm goes in the bag with you (lighters, gas canisters or stove alcohol, water filters, side arms, etc...).

You hope that you hear them messing around before they are close enough. They are surprisingly quiet animals for their weight but tend to stumble around stuff in camp. When you hear that large stick crack in the middle of the night you know its something heavy...

In conditions above 20 degrees F I use a top quilt with a foot box that isn't zippered shut.

Ive had coyotes run into camp, grab a hot dog off the fire, and run off into the dark with 10 people standing there having a beer.

Ive also had what I estimate to be a 500 pound + bear show up to the perimeter of camp (100 yards away) and we had been target shooting and making all kinds of noise.

Hungry animals do desperate things.

What scares me most is big cats honestly, they usually mean business.

Last edited:
Who remembers the sleeping bag scene from Friday the 13th? That's another reason I prefer blankets!
30f1ddc758eb5197b9dc712a936f7d8c.jpg