What do you have left you would like to do?

Hmmm…..what a great question. Really this is the central point of a hobby like this.

First and foremost, people say it never ends. It will, of course, but I still hope it doesn’t.
Second, mine’s 25 yrs old so everything will probably get fixed or replaced/upgraded at some point.

Some folks here have very specific and sometimes really well imagined, planned and and executed TJ build strategies. Those build threads are fun to read through and inspiring (so thank you!).

In my case, there’s no particular end point in my mind. For now, a stock-ish moderate build is underway. You know, a reliable daily driver that can wheel (like a new stock TJ, but cooler). Along the way, not everything works out exactly as planned and that’s OK with me. If you pay attention, you always learn. Just did my 1st engine swap and learned a lot. So what’s next?

1. Brake upgrade. Some solid options here and pretty well within my skill skill set.
2. Next isn’t a Jeep upgrade but will lead to some: I’m going to teach myself to weld (with all the help I can get).
3. I’m also trying to learn more about suspension dynamics (theory and practice). My TJ had some questionable changes by a previous owner and seems like an excellent test bed for this endeavor.

What about way down the road?

Who knows? A V8 swap? An electric crate motor? A stretch w/ coil overs? A stereo I can hear?-Nah😂.

I could go on and on…

Got the big part done. The axles upgraded with shafts, lockers and the re-gear.

Only being in this a full year now, my gear is lacking. Slowly adding to my recovery gear, tools. Spare parts. Running with friends who are farther along with gear and knowledge than me.

Reactions: JMT and L J
@rasband when is outboarding shocks a good idea or necessity: after a certain amount of lift or after a long arm install?

Wondered what the benefits, if any, would be for a 3" short arm lift.
My reasoning is primarily around travel, which translates to stability. Mine will be on a short arm for the foreseeable future.

I'm still learning though, I'm sure @jjvw can expand more.

@rasband when is outboarding shocks a good idea or necessity: after a certain amount of lift or after a long arm install?

Wondered what the benefits, if any, would be for a 3" short arm lift.
The primary benefit is to fit a tunable shock like a Fox in there. That also assumes unit can get access to a good shock tuner.

Secondary is to get as much reasonable travel as you can get. That means 11" front and 12" rear with a 4" spring lift with RockJock springs to support that shock travel. A 1.25" body lift is very helpful in making this work.

Other benefits include a wider shock stance to improve stability and also moving the lower shock mounts behind the control arm mounts to open up the clearance under the axle.

3" springs are rarely long enough to get the preferred 50/50 shock travels on 11" and 12" shocks. This makes the effort less worth it.

Arm length has nothing to do with the shocks. This who have good shock tunes and have also experienced different arm configurations will tell you that the outboard far exceeds the benefits of anything arm related.

I've outboarded on both short arm and mid arm. And converted an existing outboarded short arm to a mid arm. The process is all nearly identical. I don't like long arms, but that wouldn't change anything either.

The primary benefit is to fit a tunable shock like a Fox in there. That also assumes unit can get access to a good shock tuner.

Secondary is to get as much reasonable travel as you can get. That means 11" front and 12" rear with a 4" spring lift with RockJock springs to support that shock travel. A 1.25" body lift is very helpful in making this work.

Other benefits include a wider shock stance to improve stability and also moving the lower shock mounts behind the control arm mounts to open up the clearance under the axle.

3" springs are rarely long enough to get the preferred 50/50 shock travels on 11" and 12" shocks. This makes the effort less worth it.

Arm length has nothing to do with the shocks. This who have good shock tunes and have also experienced different arm configurations will tell you that the outboard far exceeds the benefits of anything arm related.

I've outboarded on both short arm and mid arm. And converted an existing outboarded short arm to a mid arm. The process is all nearly identical. I don't like long arms, but that wouldn't change anything either.
Thank you for the detailed reply. I often asked myself if that's something that would benefit my daily ride but see that's for someone who's often wheeling and taking on challenging terrain. I dont foresee going taller than 3" anyway and I haven't hit a trail since last year.

Cheers ✌️

1) Continue driving off-road weekly and getting more and more off camber. Risk element while driving is my key goal so I learn the rigs limits and expand mine.
2) Decide whether I want to and have the time to learn to weld.
3) if 2, then rear frame tuck and raised body mounts this winter.
4) BedRug
5) Fix evap and heater core.
6) There’s always something else.

EDIT: I forgot some of the something else

7) Noico sound deadener on firewall, doors, and center console area
8) Seat heaters
9) Savvy trail doors (wrapped. I want to learn that skill)
10) Currie mini skids

Done, for now, till I think of something else.

Last edited:
Reactions: RINC
Make it more better...

Actually, after the last year, most of the fun stuff is done. I'm now on 35s, with 4" springs and a solid 1.25" body lift. I have my tummy tuck done.

Needs good shocks
Needs a new frame :mad:
Needs a paint job
Probably a big brake kit... Still working that out
Hardened axles, front and rear

Then, go play in rocks and fix the broken stuff!

Reactions: psrivats
I have the parts for everything, what I don't have is time:

Install Golen 4.6 stroker
Tie rod flip
Lower control arm mini skids
Body mount rise
Butt crack fix
Selectable locker up front
Paint 1/2 doors
Paint and install Savvy corner and tailgate armor
Install Savvy rub rails

Crap, and I thought I was close! :(

1) Continue driving off-road weekly and getting more and more off camber. Risk element while driving is my key goal so I learn the rigs limits and expand mine.
Finding that limit is going to be a hard day!

I can honestly say working on my vehicles (especially the Jeep) is a hobby unto itself. I will never be done. I'll always find something else I NEED to do to it. That being said, I've been in a rut for a while and want to finish my current iteration i.e 33s with a TT so I can get back out on the trail. So much more work is involved getting that done right. Much more than I anticipated.

-fix/reroute exhaust for clearance
-Install Raised body mounts
-Install Transmission temperature gauge
-Install Currie JJ upper axle side control arm mounts
-Install my Detroit in the rear.
-flip the tie rod
-find a high clearance front diff cover or diff guard.
-Some type of rim stiffener so I stop bending the lips on rocks.
-better lower control arms with some type of fex joint or modify my current ones to accept a a better joint.
-a stand alone crossmember, independent of the skid plate, so I can drop the skid without supporting the drivetrain.
-a better cage, currently running rock hard bolt in
-better rock sliders and fenders, currently running smittybuilts.
-Adding extra brakes to my trailer
-Move the trailer jack so I can but my tailgate down

Reactions: Irun
You can stick a fork in mine, it's done!
Screen Shot 2021-11-18 at 8.21.28 AM.png