What is the best riding and performing lift kit for my 2001 TJ?

Are you saying a 200 lb/in spring can be tuned to give the same ride as a 145 lb/in spring with dampening alone? Or are you saying that the only purpose of different spring rates is to set ride height?

Yes.

The better question to ask is what perceivable difference in ride is there between those two springs, assuming the ride height is the same with both.

Just so you know, I've played with rates with a similar variance to the ones you are suggesting.

The better question to ask is what perceivable difference in ride is there between those two springs, assuming the ride height is the same with both.

The difference is too close, especially on something as heavy as a TJ.

Go to a 300lb spring and you'd see some seat of the pants difference from a 150lb.

The issue is that you are comparing springs built for TJ's so the sample that you are drawing conclusions from isn't as spread as it should.

The people making these springs are generally locked into a shock of some description along with whatever else they manufacture and are specc'ing springs to suit the package. FWIW the issues people have with rake on the OME kit for instance, I don't have. I'm presuming it's because I run the heavy ARB rear bar (that I'd like to change at some point).

Ok, if we are talking numbers here, assuming we are talking about a constant rate spring that has 200 in/lbs. spring rate, in which 200 lbs. of force will compress the spring 1", if we compare that to a 140 in/lb spring in which it takes 140 lbs. to compress it 1", and we apply 600 lbs of force on the springs, the 200 in/lb spring will compress 3". The 140 lb. spring more, which in turn has a relationship with how far the shock will compress. Do we then conclude that we need to tune the springs with the shocks?

OP your original question has got lost the spring rate tussle, "what would be the best 2.5 lift kit for your TJ.

A nice combination might be a Rock Krawler kit, upgrade with King 2.5" bypass, add a Currie sway bar. 35" BFG KO tires on Method wheels with some of Blaine's Black Magic brakes. Then upgrade the axles Currie Dana 44 with RVC shafts. Did I mention more power is always makes TJ's ride better better so a supercharger or turbo kit would be real nice. Oh don't forget a winch and bumpers, Warn makes the best.

I know the list is short but the above should be a good start. Anytime you need more sage advice just start a new thread. Your fellow forum members will be here to help you.

P.S. Your new ride will be screamer so get some LED lights, don't settle for any of that cheap Chinese crap, go KC all the way.

The difference is too close, especially on something as heavy as a TJ.

Go to a 300lb spring and you'd see some seat of the pants difference from a 150lb.

The issue is that you are comparing springs built for TJ's so the sample that you are drawing conclusions from isn't as spread as it should.

The people making these springs are generally locked into a shock of some description along with whatever else they manufacture and are specc'ing springs to suit the package. FWIW the issues people have with rake on the OME kit for instance, I don't have. I'm presuming it's because I run the heavy ARB rear bar (that I'd like to change at some point).

We are talking about TJs. Find us a TJ spring with a 300lb rate.

This Jeep runs them.
10D1FBB6-6468-47F5-87CF-394A69F987D9.jpeg

For what OP is looking for the RC reference kit is one of the best on the market.

Dual rate springs, pressurized emulsion shocks, adjustable arms, extended sway bar links and the dropped adjustable track bar. That kit is a winner for OP needs. The only thing I would add is a drop pitman arm to match. If OP didn't like the little stiffer ride he could change to a Rancho 7000 or Bilstein shock.

Great buy from a company that knows suspension engineering.

Please tell me this is sarcasm that is flying over my head 🤣

Reactions: Hopper and Chris
BuildBreakRepeat; The OP asked about the "best lift" for a grocery getter/weekend mild trail rig. I run that same referenced kit on my wife's 2002 TJ and she loves it. Easy to keep aligned, tracks good, no driveline vibration, rides like a new JL. Do you have experience with this combo?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rubicon express have a 240lb rear spring, Thats quite close, you'd see the difference between the OEM 105lb spring and a 240lb version. Oh, we are discussing TJ's.

Can I have the explanation on how you understand spring design now.

OP wants to know about lift kits for his DD. Got any suggestion for him beyond the spring food fight?

Last edited by a moderator:
Rubicon express have a 240lb rear spring, Thats quite close, you'd see the difference between the OEM 105lb spring and a 240lb version. Oh, we are discussing TJ's.

Can I have the explanation on how you understand spring design now.

OEM isn't 105lbs. Rubicon Express isn't the same ride height as OEM. Try again.

Like others, I'm out. The Dunning-Kruger effect is strong with this one:ROFLMAO:

Distract and deflect and run away. You are unable to explain how to tune the ride through springs, while I say don't bother trying.

Distract and deflect and run away. You are unable to explain how to tune the ride through springs, while I say don't bother trying.
Since our conversation, I've been trying to come up with an equivalent comparison that shows why you will always fail in these discussions and it finally came to me. Whilst entertaining at times, your continual involvement trying to spread a teensy bit of enlightenment to some in hopes that they will get past long held beliefs however incorrect and flawed, is identical to showing up at every meeting of the Flat Earth Society carrying a globe. The end result will always be the same. No one will listen, you will be beaten upon with examples so far out of context as to be laughable, no one will answer any pointed question that opens a path of understanding, and when the meeting is over and they run you off, they will all turn to each other and laugh at you. Jeebus, you believe that fucking guy, round earth indeed!!!