What is the best riding and performing lift kit for my 2001 TJ?

So you admit you are a fucking troll?
Let just say I don't drink anyones Koolaid without first testing it against best engineering practices. If challenging the dogma of a internet bullies is trolling then so be it.

Let just say I don't drink anyones Koolaid without first testing it against best engineering practices. If challenging the dogma of a internet bullies is trolling then so be it.

Anyone here has every opportunity to explain to the rest of us how to tune the ride quality through springs. But that will never happen because no one here can do it.

Reactions: Bill M.
What dropped pitman do you use on a 2” lift? And what trackbar bracket do you use to keep the geometry correct when you drop the pitman?
The ideal steering geometry when a straight axle is involved would be one where the track bar and drag link where of the same length, pivoted from same point and were parallel to the axle. Of course that is not possible, suspension and steering geometry is a always a compromise. Rock crawler are looking for high clearance, go fast desert guys need toe control with max travel and street guys are looking to go straight without hunting, cornering with predictability and good ride quality.

The OP that started this thread was looking for a DD that could do some weekend trails. Having the best street manners when you are tooling along at 75 mph with the consequence of a ill handling vehicle could be death are more important than the size of rock you can crawl over at 1 mph, at least for me. Thus the closer OP suspension can be designed to the ideal would my goal. Thus matching the track bar drop to the pitman arm drop will give a Jeep better street manners that the DD needs.

If I were designing a rock crawler that could limp to Big Bear Lake to crawl at the Old Baldwin Mine site then I would go Blaine's route in suspension design.

Sorry for the long answer.

• Face Palm
Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat
The ideal steering geometry when a straight axle is involved would be one where the track bar and drag link where of the same length, pivoted from same point and were parallel to the axle. Of course that is not possible, suspension and steering geometry is a always a compromise. Rock crawler are looking for high clearance, go fast desert guys need toe control with max travel and street guys are looking to go straight without hunting, cornering with predictability and good ride quality.

The OP that started this thread was looking for a DD that could do some weekend trails. Having the best street manners when you are tooling along at 75 mph with the consequence of a ill handling vehicle could be death are more important than the size of rock you can crawl over at 1 mph, at least for me. Thus the closer OP suspension can be designed to the ideal would my goal. Thus matching the track bar drop to the pitman arm drop will give a Jeep better street manners that the DD needs.

If I were designing a rock crawler that could limp to Big Bear Lake to crawl at the Old Baldwin Mine site then I would go Blaine's route in suspension design.

Sorry for the long answer.

What is meme trying to say, black people can't understand suspension design? That would seem racist.
If we are limiting ourselves to the factory platform, the correct answer is to leave well enough alone. Nothing needs to be dropped. As with the other thing being argued about, don't overcomplicate it.

Reactions: Mobusaki

Limp? Why does it limp?

Last edited:
Describing Blaine’s suspension as limping to a trial is the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard. I guess it “limped” it’s way to more KOH wins than anyone else on his suspension system.

Hush! I want to know why his stuff and what I've tried to copy can't go full highway speeds and also handle well. :)

• Haha
Describing Blaine’s suspension as limping to a trial is the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard. I guess it “limped” it’s way to more KOH wins than anyone else on his suspension system.
Exactly my point, Blaine's suspension is more KOH than DD. The OP is looking for DD suspension not a KOH win. When was the last time you saw a KOH winner loaded with the wife and kids stopped at the local In and Out for burgers and fries on the way home from Johnson Valley after their big KOH win?

When was the last time you saw a KOH winner loaded with the wife and kids stopped at the local In and Out for burgers and fries on the way home from Johnson Valley after their big KOH win?

I'm sure it was sometime before Governor Nuisance locked down the entire freaking state.

Exactly my point, Blaine's suspension is more KOH than DD. The OP is looking for DD suspension not a KOH win. When was the last time you saw a KOH winner loaded with the wife and kids stopped at the local In and Out for burgers and fries on the way home from Johnson Valley after their big KOH win?

Mine is a copy of a Blaine-style build on stock axles. It's my daily, I'm not done with the shock work, and I already get a lot of comments about how well it drives and behaves. There is nothing about mine that he would do differently that would make it worse on the street. A big reason for that is what started this argument. Springs set the ride height and shocks determine the ride.
CEE3305E-9B78-47D6-8B05-83BB96E0A744.jpeg

Last edited: