What is the best riding and performing lift kit for my 2001 TJ?

Anyone here has every opportunity to explain to the rest of us how to tune the ride quality through springs. But that will never happen because no one here can do it.
Too bad you've never heard of a VW Rabbit and a VW Rabbit GTI. Or a Mustang and a Shelby Mustang. Or a 1/2 ton P/U and a 'Heavy Half ton. Or a Crown Victoria and a Police Crown Vic. Or.........
If the concept that a softer spring will deflect more than a heavier spring under the same load is past anyone's understanding then I wonder if they understand a standard 100 w light bulb puts out more light than a standard 60 w bulb🤔. Or that their freezer is maintaining a colder temperature than their pizza oven.🤔 Sad. So sad.😥

Mine is a copy of a Blaine-style build on stock axles. It's my daily, I'm not done with the shock work, and I already get a lot of comments about how well it drives and behaves. There is nothing about mine that he would do differently that would make it worse on the street. A big reason for that is what started this argument. Springs set the ride height and shocks determine the ride.
View attachment 169042
Now we are actually starting to help OP answer his question. List the components of your build so OP has some idea of what he needs to build a TJ like yours. Thanks.

Too bad you've never heard of a VW Rabbit and a VW Rabbit GTI. Or a Mustang and a Shelby Mustang. Or a 1/2 ton P/U and a 'Heavy Half ton. Or a Crown Victoria and a Police Crown Vic. Or.........
If the concept that a softer spring will deflect more than a heavier spring under the same load is past anyone's understanding then I wonder if they understand a standard 100 w light bulb puts out more light than a standard 60 w bulb🤔. Or that their freezer is maintaining a colder temperature than their pizza oven.🤔 Sad. So sad.😥
Now we are actually starting to help OP answer his question. List the components of your build so OP has some idea of what he needs to build a TJ like yours. Thanks.

Can the OP weld? My build is very well documented if he cares to do anything I did.

Explain to us how to tune the ride through springs. I double dog dare you.

You're stretching there and not getting anywhere with inane and basically silly arguments like those. The fact is that springs WHOSE SPRING RATE IS APPROPRIATE TO THE VEHICLE have far less to do with ride quality than shocks do yet you just refuse to accept it.

Should I compile a list of names in this thread of those who claim that the ride can be tuned with springs, but are unable to explain how to do it?

Should I compile a list of names in this thread of those who claim that the ride can be tuned with springs, but are unable to explain how to do it?
Maybe a better list would names in this thread that can't comprehend that springs are part of the ride quality equation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: T_Hase89
Maybe a better list would names in this thread that can't comprehend that springs effect ride quality.

Comparing those two lists would be interesting. One list will contain a bunch of people who claim that the earth is flat but can't prove anything. The other list won't.

Are you going to explain how to tune the ride though springs or not?

It has been entertaining.

Bill-Hader-Eating-Popcorn-Smiling-SNL.gif

Maybe a better list would names in this thread that can't comprehend that springs are part of the ride quality equation.

I wish you guys would speak more slowly. The buckboard springs in my old CJ shook my eardrums loose years ago.

Reactions: Bill M.

Here are two examples from your list. You are not allowed to quibble over the GTI vs the R. I am already doing far too much work on your behalf.

The Shelby and Golf R ride heights are both lower than their respective regular versions. However each one adjusts the springs to achieve these lowered ride heights, one thing is guaranteed-- the shock damping is going to be increased as a way to account for the deceased suspension travel as well as the presumption of higher speeds and more aggressive driving. The Shelby Trackpack that provides 550lbs of down force is also going to be complimented with stiffer springs to account for the increased vehicle "weight" at high speeds. Can you relate that to a Jeep? Even one on the highway going 75mph?

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1124390_2020-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-specs-deep-dive
Beyond the trick dampers, the Shelby GT500's handling is helped along by increased front track width (which required wider fenders) and lower ride height compared to other Mustangs. And with the available Carbon Fiber Track Pack, adjustable strut top mounts allow camber settings to be adjusted for a more aggressive wheel alignment, which helps enhance cornering ability.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Golf_Mk7?wprov=sfla1
The ride height is 20 mm lower than the standard Golf. Golf R models equipped with the optional 'DCC' (Dynamic Chassis Control), offer three suspension modes: 'Comfort', 'Normal', and 'Race'. Each mode adjusts the stiffness of the suspension damping, thereby offering drivers a way to change the way the vehicle responds by the push of a button.

I don't care to research Crown Victorias and "heavy half tons" , but I suspect their suspensions are designed to account for increased weight and/or large variances in weight compared to their regular versions, which again is going have direct effects on the ride height and the shock damping. With respect to the Crown Vic Intercepter, it isn't hard to imagine that they are designed to better handle higher speed and more aggressive driving than the boring grandma versions. Shocks are going to play a significant role in those differences.

Once again, shocks cannot be ignored. You and all the others still have yet to provide any method of tuning the ride quality through the springs and the springs alone. Until you or anyone else can do so, you may as well be insisting that Santa Claus is real. The burden of proof is on you to prove he exists. I do not need to prove he doesn't.

What I will do is continue to explain where your Christmas presents really come from.

Last edited:
If the OP can hang on, he is getting a valuable lesson in where to focus his thinking and effort to achieve something worthwhile.
The OP was last seen on June 4th which was page 1. Hopefully he took the advice in the first response he got and is ready to install the recommended 2.5” lift and go have fun with it.