What is the best riding and performing lift kit for my 2001 TJ?

A soft spring and stiff spring can both achieve the same lift. The soft spring will just be longer uncompressed. So long as the soft spring does not have coil bind at full compression it will give a customer a better ride until it hits the bump stop.

Show us two different OME springs that provide the same ride height on an otherwise unchanged Jeep.

Show us two different OME springs that provide the same ride height on an otherwise unchanged Jeep.
OME makes a HD and LD 2.5" lift kit, the difference is the springs according to our rep. I don't have the spring numbers today, Sunday, but if you like I will call our jobber tomorrow and get them for you. Just PM me.

OME makes a HD and LD 2.5" lift kit, the difference is the springs according to our rep. I don't have the spring numbers today, Sunday, but if you like I will call our jobber tomorrow and get them for you. Just PM me.

No need. I have a spreadsheet. The difference between the LD and HD is .5-.75". And to further undermine your assertion, both fronts are the same spring rate.

No need. I have a spreadsheet. The difference between the LD and HD is .5-.75". And to further undermine your assertion, both fronts are the same spring rate.
Your point is well taken, I don't have OME info in front of me. Assuming you are right then what is the difference between the OME LD and HD? By the way could you post that spread sheet.

To muddy the waters a bit more for the OP and since OME has been the only thing discussed so far I recently used some Procomp springs on my lift with the Rancho shocks and I was very happy with the results. I had quite a bit of sag in the springs I removed so I can't testify to how much lift you will get out of them, but they are listed an 2" springs and I got at least that with a winch on the stock front bumper.

The Procomp springs were also $60 each less expensive then the OME, and Procomp makes good quality springs.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
To muddy the waters a bit more for the OP and since OME has been the only thing discussed so far I recently used some Procomp springs on my lift with the Rancho shocks and I was very happy with the results. I had quite a bit of sag in the springs I removed so I can't testify to how much lift you will get out of them, but they are listed an 2" springs and I got at least that with a winch on the stock front bumper.

The Procomp springs were also $60 each less expensive then the OME, and Procomp makes good quality springs.
Procomp 2" is very close to the OME light duty, but the rate is higher and the lengths shorter. If those springs, paired with whatever specific ranchos you have makes for a good combo, it further undermines the argument that springs affect the ride.

Procomp 2" is very close to the OME light duty, but the rate is higher and the lengths shorter. If those springs, paired with whatever specific ranchos you have makes for a good combo, it further undermines the argument that springs effect the ride.

To be fair this is my 1st TJ, and the original springs had 170k on them and had about 2" of sag, so I do not have a good basis for comparison, but with the Rancho 5000x shocks I am very happy with the ride and stability on road now. I have not had an opportunity to get off the pavement with them yet, so I cant comment on offload ride quality. I just wanted to provide a slightly cheaper alternative to the OP that I was happy with.

My post here has the part numbers I used:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-tj-today.1784/page-834#post-594966

Reactions: jjvw and Bill M.

The Zone kit has also been recommended. Not just the OME.

Reactions: gbirk
To be fair this is my 1st TJ, and the original springs had 170k on them and had about 2" of sag, so I do not have a good basis for comparison, but with the Rancho 5000x shocks I am very happy with the ride and stability on road now. I have not had an opportunity to get off the pavement with them yet, so I cant comment on offload ride quality. I just wanted to provide a slightly cheaper alternative to the OP that I was happy with.

My post here has the part numbers I used:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-tj-today.1784/page-834#post-594966

I don't doubt your combo might be a good one. :)

Reactions: gbirk
Reactions: Captainchad
A soft spring and stiff spring can both achieve the same lift. The soft spring will just be longer uncompressed. So long as the soft spring does not have coil bind at full compression it will give a customer a better ride until it hits the bump stop.
This is exactly what I am saying. A spring does not control a shock. It is the other way. And always the other way. The shock is there to control the movement of the spring.

And if 20 lb makes no difference why would OME make both?
Every Jeep owner wants it to ride the way he/she wants. A firmer shock can control a softer spring. But a harder spring will move LESS. Always has, always will. So a harder spring can not be made to give a softer ride no matter what shock is used. It isn't such a hard (😉) issue to understand. 🤷‍♂️🤔

Reactions: Bill M.
https://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-s...1c.html?find=2000-jeep-wrangler-tj-4wd-567239Not trying to highjack the thread but this seems like a really good lift for the cost. Any opinions? Might be a good opton for the op.
For what OP is looking for the RC reference kit is one of the best on the market.

Dual rate springs, pressurized emulsion shocks, adjustable arms, extended sway bar links and the dropped adjustable track bar. That kit is a winner for OP needs. The only thing I would add is a drop pitman arm to match. If OP didn't like the little stiffer ride he could change to a Rancho 7000 or Bilstein shock.

Great buy from a company that knows suspension engineering.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Captainchad
This is exactly what I am saying. A spring does not control a shock. It is the other way. And always the other way. The shock is there to control the movement of the spring.

Every Jeep owner wants it to ride the way he/she wants. A firmer shock can control a softer spring. But a harder spring will move LESS. Always has, always will. So a harder spring can not be made to give a softer ride no matter what shock is used. It isn't such a hard (😉) issue to understand. 🤷‍♂️🤔
A well designed suspension spring and shock package should always start with the spring and then shock valving used to tune the ride characteristic of that spring package to the intended use and owners expectations.

All stiff or soft springs are not created equal. To make the right spring selection one needs to match the spring rate and frequency to a vehicle's intended use. A rock crawler is going to use a very low frequency spring where a trophy truck will use a much higher frequency spring. Both may use the same spring rate and may even be the same spring length but be made of different wire gauge, metal composition and coil numbers.

MY current '03 TJ has an Old Man Emu/ARB lift with some JKS components as well. It rides better than any other Jeep I've owned. Exceptionally smooth when needed and stiff when needed. I'll see if I can find the link, but the place that sells them actually has you send them the details of your Jeep, what bumpers, winch, accessories, ect. That you have, or plan on adding, and they will build a kit for you, based off that as things like an aftermarket bumper, winch, adds weight, and needs to be accounted for in order to keep your Jeep to ride as close to exceptional as possible💯. This is the exact kit on my current Jeep https://dpgoffroad.com/product/old-man-emu-ultimate-tj-lj-wrangler-kit/

Having said all of this my 2000 TJ that I had before this one had a budget Procomp lift, with the selectable shock absorbers, and honestly for the money, it rode damn good both on and off road. The difference being I had to get out and lay under each corner and turn each shock to hard or soft depending on where I was going for a ride.

Last edited:

Find us two different sets of OME springs that provide the same ride height on the same Jeep.

BTW, I'm telling you why OME offers both and it isn't for the reason you want it to be.