What is the best winch for my Jeep Wrangler TJ?

Is there any worth getting a stronger winch to make recovering others easier? I'm asking cuz my younger brother has a full sized truck, and drives like a younger brother.

• Haha
Reactions: Irun
Is there any worth getting a stronger winch to make recovering others easier? I'm asking cuz my younger brother has a full sized truck, and drives like a younger brother.
If you do a lot of recoveries or your recoveries tend to be slog fests then having more winch is not a bad thing. Problem with putting on a larger winch because you want to recover larger vehicles is that it will not work. Your TJ weighs less than they do so unless you plan on anchoring yourself down and adding that stress to your chassis you would be better off setting your brother up so he can self recover.

Reactions: JMT
If you do a lot of recoveries or your recoveries tend to be slog fests then having more winch is not a bad thing. Problem with putting on a larger winch because you want to recover larger vehicles is that it will not work. Your TJ weighs less than they do so unless you plan on anchoring yourself down and adding that stress to your chassis you would be better off setting your brother up so he can self recover.
Anchoring my Jeep wouldn't really be an issue. But ya, my major concern is how well the TJ frame can handle it long term.

Would I need a winch plate for this?

Screenshot 2022-03-03 145452.jpg

Anchoring my Jeep wouldn't really be an issue. But ya, my major concern is how well the TJ frame can handle it long term.
You wont have an issue if you get a 12K winch. Obviously a good winch plate and rear bumper are essential. Take a look at a 6 ton press, the steel that supports it, then take a look at a Jeep frame. 12,000 lbs isn't enough force to permanently bend the frame and the winch will catch on fire before it gets much past that number. 12k is also fine for full size recovery.