STICKY What should I look for when buying a used Wrangler TJ?

Looking at the TJL down south. Looks super clean but wanted to run it by this group first. 6 speed , 2005. 150k miles is my concern. As far as I can tell and from the owner it is rust free. Small spring lift, no body and 33’s , new top

0A8F5106-E652-41CB-ADFE-21F8BF89ADF1.jpeg

FF24BF4D-22F6-442F-93E3-98C38FB4DFF9.jpeg

19F12E99-C9D6-4AA8-BD05-71D46CAA4786.jpeg

AC594174-CE2F-4CC0-B37E-C874CF32605E.jpeg

C4096FAD-A069-4A4C-8CC2-457AF4FFC435.jpeg

CC38E40F-E744-4BF7-A5A9-D3C8162553CE.jpeg

1D65FA82-E028-42C7-9D68-8F4578A5AAA3.jpeg

E0C08404-9AC6-4A04-8DD5-5573612540D1.jpeg

Looking at the TJL down south. Looks super clean but wanted to run it by this group first. 6 speed , 2005. 150k miles is my concern. As far as I can tell and from the owner it is rust free. Small spring lift, no body and 33’s , new top

View attachment 215530

View attachment 215531

View attachment 215532

View attachment 215533

View attachment 215534

View attachment 215535

View attachment 215536

View attachment 215537
Looks clean. Wouldn’t worry about the mileage. Wouldn’t hestitate to buy depending on the price.

Reactions: 2001slvrstntj

View attachment 215530

View attachment 215531

View attachment 215532

View attachment 215533

View attachment 215534

View attachment 215535

View attachment 215536

View attachment 215537

That frame looks very clean, seems like a solid buy to me!

$13k. Thoughts?
Not unreasonable. I’d offer $12k but $13k isn’t a bad deal but it’s not a great deal either. But that frame and body both look pretty immaculate rust wise.

Edit: on 33s already and new top...yea I’d buy for $13k even if he doesn’t budge on price.

Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
Thanks gents. I felt the same way. It’s a bit far from me, but living in CT the further from here the better haha

does anyone ever use 3rd party to do an inspection ? For boats and homes this is very common, almost 100%. What about for cars. For me, to get to this Jeep it’s going to cost me an easy $500. I rather pay a local mechanic to go take a look. Does that make sense ? He knows engines and vehicles better than I. Obviously I wouldnt be there so there could be some
Foul play, but assume all is right with the world, would that be a better use of $$.

does anyone ever use 3rd party to do an inspection ? For boats and homes this is very common, almost 100%. What about for cars. For me, to get to this Jeep it’s going to cost me an easy $500. I rather pay a local mechanic to go take a look. Does that make sense ? He knows engines and vehicles better than I. Obviously I wouldnt be there so there could be some
Foul play, but assume all is right with the world, would that be a better use of $$.
If I was unable to see the vehicle in person I certainly would have a 3rd party inspection. Otherwise, I'd do the inspection myself. Assuming you can tell if the engine sounds off or the transmission isn't shifting right, $500 would cover the cost of a new set of tie rod ends, ball joints, and OEM arms.

My main concern would be rust. Everything else is fairly easy to replace.

I highly recommend a vehicle inspection. But $500 sounds very excessive. Dealerships typically charge $200 for an inspection.

I'd for sure run a carfax. Dont skip this. Its $30. And will show the entire jeeps history. Maintenance, repairs, accidents etc etc. Alot of information.

If your not a mechanic you can miss alot. My Jeeps inspection showed over two grand in needed repairs. Few of them were obvious. Most were suspension issues. That i would not have diagnosed. I used the needed repairs to negotiate the price down accordingly.

Mind you im not a mechanical idiot. Ive changed water pumps. And pulled and replaced transmissions. Etc. Etc. But when i start acting like a mechanic im not in the most shallow waters. And can easily miss something.

$200 is good insurance. Ive never had an inspection not turn up needed repairs that i was unaware of. But i would shop around $500 is to much.

Lastly, dont let an inspection replace your own inspection. Some things are obvious to the eye. Like paint condition or sun fade. A rip in a seat. Certain custom items on the jeep. How the jeep drives. Those may not come up on an inspection. And only u know if they are things u can live with or not.

Excellent points. Thank you I called the local Jeep dealership and they’ll do an inspection for $135. I’ll also do the Carfax, I agree $39.99 is a great insight to the jeeps history. The seller has been very accommodating with pictures videos FaceTime videos live and the like. The inspection and Carfax will give me the confidence to pull the trigger.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron505 and Alex01
Carfax questions and concerns:
3 accidents. Front driver side fender was replaced, appears no other body work was done. No signs of filler.

The other strange thing is... own # 4 owned the Jeep for 13 days and owner number 5 for about 20. Current keener number 6 is getting it register now. Decided to sell it and get a TJL rubi.

time to walk?

4D190D82-F6F8-4EA7-B38B-F94D790B69A0.jpeg

CF15F0CE-89C4-4B8D-AA8E-A2F30492B63B.jpeg

06712BA5-5F56-4E51-A665-7D28C5AA5984.jpeg

130E8190-BE94-40B3-B055-ADF0E00A878A.png

Carfax questions and concerns:
3 accidents. Front driver side fender was replaced, appears no other body work was done. No signs of filler.

The other strange thing is... own # 4 owned the Jeep for 13 days and owner number 5 for about 20. Current keener number 6 is getting it register now. Decided to sell it and get a TJL rubi.

time to walk?

View attachment 215815
View attachment 215816
View attachment 215817
View attachment 215818
Both accidents said air bags not deployed. I would let the mechanic inspecting the Jeep know and give extra attention to areas where the jeep has been damaged. Check if any frame damage especially. Have them look over the body repairs and make sure it was repaired properly. I wouldn’t sweat the amount of owners. Sometimes the title exchanges hands and they count that as an “owner”. I believe I’m the 5th or 6th owner on mine but the guy I bought it from owned it the last 8 or so years. I didn’t get an inspection but I got lucky. I had to move fast and I drove 3 hours away to see it. I planned on upgrading and replacing the whole front end anyways. Plus I had a good vibe from the owner that he was an honest guy. That said, I would get an inspection especially if you will not be seeing the Jeep in person. Use the information you have to negotiate the price. From the pics it still looks like a clean Jeep.

Reactions: Ron505
Other questions to ask yourself...what’s the purpose of those Jeep? Weekend toy? Daily driver? Plan to mod like crazy? Will you keep it forever? Or just have it for a bit then sell?

Other questions to ask yourself...what’s the purpose of those Jeep? Weekend toy? Daily driver? Plan to mod like crazy? Will you keep it forever? Or just have it for a bit then sell?
Weekend toy. Slight mods, keep forever or at least for a long while.

Reactions: jazngab
Both accidents said air bags not deployed. I would let the mechanic inspecting the Jeep know and give extra attention to areas where the jeep has been damaged. Check if any frame damage especially. Have them look over the body repairs and make sure it was repaired properly. I wouldn’t sweat the amount of owners. Sometimes the title exchanges hands and they count that as an “owner”. I believe I’m the 5th or 6th owner on mine but the guy I bought it from owned it the last 8 or so years. I didn’t get an inspection but I got lucky. I had to move fast and I drove 3 hours away to see it. I planned on upgrading and replacing the whole front end anyways. Plus I had a good vibe from the owner that he was an honest guy. That said, I would get an inspection especially if you will not be seeing the Jeep in person. Use the information you have to negotiate the price. From the pics it still looks like a clean Jeep.
This is excellent advice. Mine had a similar accident one year into its life. I made sure inspection took that into account.

Short owners could be dealers just swapping vehicle around.

If you can find an actually good Jeep mechanic or 4x4 garage that can inspect might be good. And to drive it. If not, the dealership will do.

I always tell the owner "would you mind if i paid for an inspection at your local dealership?". I almost always get a yes. If the answer is no. I walk. Just to many variables. And there is no justifiable reason to not allow a dealership to inspect your car. If it is what u say it is. No reason not too.

But if u find something bothersome during your own test drive. Dont be afraid to take it back to the inspector. You can always negotiate the price down.

I found 2k in repairs needed on mine. I negotiated based on the dealerships 2k estimate. And then took it to my local guy and paid half (1k) to have it fixed.

Reactions: Ron505
Had the local Jeep Dealership do a full inspection of the car. Bumper to Bumper.

this is what they discovered. The body, frame and all mechanicals inspected were excellent.

When I asked him about the "leaks" he said they are all what he would consider to be minor. Not dripping but "wet". Owner states there is not one drop of oil on his garage floor.

Seems that for a 165k Jeep, The wet seals are pretty common. Owner has been very good and honest. Walked around the car via FaceTime and he is going to snap pictures of all the dealerships called out areas.

Anything that jumps out at you?

Doing some research now on these seals and replacement costs.

Screenshot 2021-01-06 184503.png

Had the local Jeep Dealership do a full inspection of the car. Bumper to Bumper.

this is what they discovered. The body, frame and all mechanicals inspected were excellent.

When I asked him about the "leaks" he said they are all what he would consider to be minor. Not dripping but "wet". Owner states there is not one drop of oil on his garage floor.

Seems that for a 165k Jeep, The wet seals are pretty common. Owner has been very good and honest. Walked around the car via FaceTime and he is going to snap pictures of all the dealerships called out areas.

View attachment 216065

View attachment 216065
If it’s not dripping onto the floor then don’t worry about it. All these TJs have “wet” seals at this age.

I think your fine. Youve definitely done your due diligence. I say buy it. Those leaks are very common. And most are part of maintenance you'd want to do anyway.