What size tires will fit a stock Wrangler TJ?

I like that..If Im not doing any serious off roading - just beach really - then am I ok with 33s and a 2.5 inch lift on a Wrangler, in your opinion.

You'll likely be fine but the ride will feel harsh due to the limited shock uptravel. IMO, it's not worth compromising ride comfort for the "33" look". For 33s you really need more lift than 2.5". You can consider adding a 1.25" body lift (Savvy Offroad sells a great one) to the 2.5" suspension lift and then choose the right shocks so that you don't compromise ride quality. If you go this route, you'll also likely need adjustable control arms and SYE and/or new DC driveshaft in the rear. 33s are a lot of work, really. I recommend to stick with 31/32s for 2.5" lift and keep it simple and enjoy your Jeep.

This thread is to serve as the be-all end-all answer to questions such as "What is the largest size tire I can fit on my stock Wrangler TJ?".

The answer is simple: You can put a 31x10.50 - 15 tire on your stock Wrangler TJ with stock wheels. It may rub a little at full lock which is easily corrected with a couple of washers on the steering stops. A 31" tire will still perform just fine off road and won't encounter any major issues with rubbing under full tuck.

If all you're after is looks and not functionality, you can often times fit a 32" or 33" tire on your stock TJ, but at that size you will more than likely do some serious damage if you take it off road. Anything larger than a 31" tire needs a lift (among other things) if you want to have a proper, functional setup.

NOTE: Depending on your engine, transmission and gear ratios you may suffer disappointment in your performance after installation of larger tires.

I'm thinking about putting the 31x10.5 on mine, which is totally stock. I have a 4.0, manual, 3.73 ratio and my stock wheels are 15x7, I need to know if I will suffer disappointment lol

I'm thinking about putting the 31x10.5 on mine, which is totally stock. I have a 4.0, manual, 3.73 ratio and my stock wheels are 15x7, I need to know if I will suffer disappointment lol
Probably not. A six will push 31's just fine almost no matter what gear ratio you have. Just don't disconnect. It'll probably rub the spring perches in front when you flex.

I'm running 31x 10.5 x 15 on mine no issues at all...as long as you have stock fenders...(pocket fenders will reduce that gap and it will rub when flexing) So basically don't do what I did haha

I'm running 31x 10.5 x 15 on mine no issues at all...as long as you have stock fenders...(pocket fenders will reduce that gap and it will rub when flexing) So basically don't do what I did haha

I have stock fenders and it's a 5-spd manual since mine's a 98.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Hey @psrivats , replacing my wheels with your exact set-up. Do you have a side shot of your rig somewhere I can have a look-see?

This is the best I have. But note that it's parked on a bit of a slope.

I'll say though, don't go by looks, set the rig up so that you have the proper clearances for the tire size you choose.

IMG_20191110_114211.jpg

Reactions: TJRick and pchphx
Grateful for this thread. I have a question about the OP's note:

NOTE: Depending on your engine, transmission and gear ratios you may suffer disappointment in your performance after installation of larger tires.

I have a 97 SE (2.5L). I'm currently running 30x9.5s on steel 15x7s or 15x8s (need to check). If I go up to 31x10.5s would I have any issues with my engine, transmission, or gear ratios, as hinted in the "Note" above?

Grateful for this thread. I have a question about the OP's note:

I have a 97 SE (2.5L). I'm currently running 30x9.5s on steel 15x7s or 15x8s (need to check). If I go up to 31x10.5s would I have any issues with my engine, transmission, or gear ratios, as hinted in the "Note" above?
Do you know what gear ratio you currently have?

I'm running 255/75/17 an I think it's the perfect size tire....with 3"lift

Thanks. I have no lift, but I've read up on how to avoid rubbing at full turns. I'm mainly interested in the "Note" about engine and transmission issues, since I have a 2.5L engine.

You can find out very easily by looking up your factory build sheet here:
https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

Thanks Chris. Yep, as you typed, I was finding that same link in a 'sticky' post you wrote. But looks like that listing only goes back to '98, and of course mine is a '97. But I followed the advice on your other sticky, and I just checked the tag on the rear differential. I've been the only owner since '98, and I seriously doubt that the first owner would have changed it (the Jeep was as bare-bones "SE" as they come). My tag says: 4__11__5957__5.

So, 4.11? And based on your post here, I should have a AX-5 transmission. And from your other post here (these are all so helpful, thanks), it sounds like I should have the standard, stock gear ratio of 4.10—even though mine says 4.11?

p.s. I'm in need of a new set, and could easily just get 30s. But I read on here that 31s were an option, so got interested. I don't mind the chance of rubbing at full turn, but if it's going to have performance consequences or give me any engine trouble, I can always stick with 30s until I make more major changes someday.

Thanks Chris. Yep, as you typed, I was finding that same link in a 'sticky' post you wrote. But looks like that listing only goes back to '98, and of course mine is a '97. But I followed the advice on your other sticky, and I just checked the tag on the rear differential. I've been the only owner since '98, and I seriously doubt that the first owner would have changed it (the Jeep was as bare-bones "SE" as they come). My tag says: 4__11__5957__5.

So, 4.11? And based on your post here, I should have a AX-5 transmission. And from your other post here (these are all so helpful, thanks), it sounds like I should have the standard, stock gear ratio of 4.10—even though mine says 4.11?

Yep, 4.11 which is what it should be 👍

I didn’t realize that build sheet tool only went back to 98.