What size tires will fit a stock Wrangler TJ?

As you know, owners of new Jeeps like to replace their tires and wheels the first chance they get. I'm in the market for what they are taking off! Does anyone know if 17" rims with 245/75R17 Goodyears would fit on my bone-stock 2004? There are five 2019 wheels, just waiting for me to pick them up. I did a comparison on TireSize.com and its just a wee 1/4" in radius, and almost an inch of width less. The second image is the set that I am interested in.

Edit: The required spacers, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T896NRW/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 4.21.02 PM.png

00X0X_1X4shJDohG7_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:
They might. If you have proper backspacing on the wheels you should be fine with the turn radius. To know for sure you’d have to cycle the suspension. By that point you’d already own the tire/wheel combo and you’d find a way to make it work.

They might. If you have proper backspacing on the wheels you should be fine with the turn radius. To know for sure you’d have to cycle the suspension. By that point you’d already own the tire/wheel combo and you’d find a way to make it work.
Thanks! I’ll probably just go for it. Three hundred for five new wheels and tires is something I can’t resist.

• Wow
Reactions: Captainchad
Thanks! I’ll probably just go for it. Three hundred for five new wheels and tires is something I can’t resist.
Yeah, and in the end, you could always add a 0.5” spacer or body lift if you needed to.

Reactions: Captainchad
As you know, owners of new Jeeps like to replace their tires and wheels the first chance they get. I'm in the market for what they are taking off! Does anyone know if 17" rims with 245/75R17 Goodyears would fit on my bone-stock 2004? There are five 2019 wheels, just waiting for me to pick them up. I did a comparison on TireSize.com and its just a wee 1/4" in radius, and almost an inch of width less. The second image is the set that I am interested in.

View attachment 197282

View attachment 197283
What are those rims off of? If it's a 2007 or newer Wrangler, then you'll need adapters as the rims are a different bolt pattern.

What are those rims off of? If it's a 2007 or newer Wrangler, then you'll need adapters as the rims are a different bolt pattern.
That is correct! These are 2019 17” rims. I’m trying to figure out the offset difference with 1.25” adapters. Will post here when it’s all done. Or if it fails!

Reactions: Chris
That is correct! These are 2019 17” rims. I’m trying to figure out the offset difference with 1.25” adapters. Will post here when it’s all done. Or if it fails!

Look forward to seeing the results đź‘Ť

Here are 245/75R17 on what I believe to be 2017 or 2018 17” rims.

I do have the 1.25” adapters on to get the right wheel pattern.

This was on stock 1999 TJ before I added a 1” BL.

I got lucky on the wheels and tires as well. Got the wheels a little over a year ago from a dealership that was cleaning out storage and about to throw them away. Cost - $0. Got the tires from a dealership that took them off a stock Gladiator with less than 4K miles to put on bigger ones and were going to send them to the recycler. Cost - $0 (+ $80 to mount and balance.) I bought a matching used tire for about $35 for the spare and got the matching spare wheel from LKQ for $35 as well. So I guess I have about $150 in my set.

909BC1F7-7E38-4F28-8742-D5C9A12A8287.jpeg

OLD:
Stock 2004 TJ steel rims and Michelin 31x10.50R16:
Tires were about $900 total at Costco
Weight 62 pounds per wheel/tire
Inner rim of right front tire rubbed slightly when steering full-lock right.

NEW:
Stock 2020 JL aluminum rims and Michelin 245/75/17:
Wheels and tires (24 miles driven) $300 on Craigslist
Adapter/spacers $100 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IVKIZW0/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Weight with adapters 58.5 pounds (for a savings of 3.5 pounds per wheel).
No rubbing lock-to-lock. Suspension flex to be tested.

Street performance seems the same with no noticeable loss of torque. The radius has increased 0.25 inches.

IMG_0534.jpeg

IMG_0535.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Welding Goats
Here are 245/75R17 on what I believe to be 2017 or 2018 17” rims.

I do have the 1.25” adapters on to get the right wheel pattern.

This was on stock 1999 TJ before I added a 1” BL.

I got lucky on the wheels and tires as well. Got the wheels a little over a year ago from a dealership that was cleaning out storage and about to throw them away. Cost - $0. Got the tires from a dealership that took them off a stock Gladiator with less than 4K miles to put on bigger ones and were going to send them to the recycler. Cost - $0 (+ $80 to mount and balance.) I bought a matching used tire for about $35 for the spare and got the matching spare wheel from LKQ for $35 as well. So I guess I have about $150 in my set.
Free is good!

OLD:
Stock 2004 TJ steel rims and Michelin 31x10.50R16:
Tires were about $900 total at Costco
Weight 62 pounds per wheel/tire
Inner rim of right front tire rubbed slightly when steering full-lock right.

NEW:
Stock 2020 JL aluminum rims and Michelin 245/75/17:
Wheels and tires (24 miles driven) $300 on Craigslist
Adapter/spacers $100 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IVKIZW0/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Weight with adapters 58.5 pounds (for a savings of 3.5 pounds per wheel).
No rubbing lock-to-lock. Suspension flex to be tested.

Street performance seems the same with no noticeable loss of torque. The radius has increased 0.25 inches.

View attachment 198201

View attachment 198202
20210116_103625_HDR.jpg

Same size here with 1.25" adapter/spacers and no issues! I had the same setup as you did. 2018 JK rims.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
I am looking to put 245/75R17 from 2019 Wrangler to my 2000 TJ, using 1.5" wheel adapter from 5x4.5 to 5x5, do you see any issue beside rubbing? On a budget at a moment, but is it cost effective in the long run? Eventually, I will have 2.5" lift and get the correct rims and tires.

Last edited:
I am looking to put 245/75R17 from 2019 Wrangler to my 2000 TJ, using 1.5" wheel adapter from 5x4.5 to 5x5, do you see any issue beside rubbing?

I did that recently. No problems. But if you don't have a lift (I haven't checked your profile to see), then keep in mind that the new set will fill up your wheel well a bit more, and you won't have as much room for up-travel.

I used a 1.25" adapter, so yours may stick out beyond the fender flares by a quarter-inch, increasing mud-fling on your paint.

I did that recently. No problems. But if you don't have a lift (I haven't checked your profile to see), then keep in mind that the new set will fill up your wheel well a bit more, and you won't have as much room for up-travel.

I used a 1.25" adapter, so yours may stick out beyond the fender flares by a quarter-inch, increasing mud-fling on your paint.
The purpose of my rig is mostly on-road use, town driving, and very very occasionally off-road, but not much. Here is my BumbleBee.. I just got her 2 weeks ago and been surfing the net and looking for things I want to do with her. I have a list and it is becoming so costly for the things I want to do, lifts, how much lifts, the rim and tires, front and rear bumper and I don't want to rush myself. My thoughts, for now, buy use rims and will give me time, at least to look and come up with a blue print and talk to people/forum and get opinions. She doesn't have a lift at all, as far as I know.

BumbleBee.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: SSTJ

Also, who is the manufacturer of the adapter. If you don't mind to share the link for the spacer and the lug nuts that you used.

Also, who is the manufacturer of the adapter. If you don't mind to share the link for the spacer and the lug nuts that you used.

I was given the adapters by another forum member, and can't recall the manufacturer. For the nuts, I just used the nuts that came with them.

There are several threads on here about adapters. But to get the best results in searching this forum, you should either use the Google-Search feature (not the standard site search bar). Or, start a new thread and enter the title, but don't actually post the thread. Instead, check the recommended similar threads list that pops up when you enter your title. That works well too.