What the 4.0 could have been

Remember crash tests aren't driven by the government. They came about because of insurance agencies.

As for the 4.0, I don't need more power, I'd like more low end torque and better fuel economy. Like a TDI swap. An inline turbo eco diesel without the DEF crap would work.

All I know is that it isn't an all or nothing answer. I suppose it's nice we can rest assured that when the alt-right racists are chugging milk to show their supremacy, they aren't drinking contaminated milk thanks to the FDA.

I drank unpastuerized milk from the cow growing up. Scrape the creme off the top run it through a filter to catch bugs and hay. Awesome stuff. Like drinking ice cream.

But that's racist. :)

As for the 4.0, I don't need more power, I'd like more low end torque and better fuel economy. Like a TDI swap. An inline turbo eco diesel without the DEF crap would work.
^^^THIS^^^

In my world, the 4.0 has PLENTY of power, it flat gets up and goes when you put your feet into the carburetor - uh, fuel injectors. More low end is always better.

Yea it is - I think this Jeep has more HP (not torque) than any other engine I've ever owned.

I'd say it's the opposite for me. And definitely has the worst power to weight ratio of anything I've owned if there was something less.

It was adequate in stock form but I've only made it worse. That's not Jeep's fault though.

Some are, some are just stupid. Collapsible steering columns, re-enforced door panels, high back seats, 3 point seat belts, and maybe even ABS I can get behind. The stupid "safety technology" which is nothing more than an expensive add-on to replace driving skills - not so much. Our Benevolent OverLords apparently think we can't even back up safely, so mandate fucking screens for the backup cameras they insist we have. My neck and mirrors work just fine! They can keep the various "driver assist" nonsense.

Agree on cameras, I drive my wife's Expedition, and I always back into parking spaces....I use the camera....I'm crooked, 100% of the dam time. I don't look at them....well, unless I'm hooking up a trailer. It's pretty dam useful if you're by yourself, ha.

I'd say it's the opposite for me. And definitely has the worst power to weight ratio of anything I've owned if there was something less.

It was adequate in stock form but I've only made it worse. That's not Jeep's fault though.

Same here. My Jeep is the slowest vehicle I’ve ever owned, but I actually enjoy that. I have a "0-60 Eventually" sticker on the back for a reason.

A simple change would have been easy and cost effective, Colin Chapman did to the Ford Kent motor.

A a new bolt on casting at the front timing cover to accept the new Hemi twin cam head.

It would have turn the 4.0 into a 275hp stump puller for very little cost in tooling.

They could have sold retro kits to the public.

STOCK KENT.jpg

Twin cam.jpg

Twin cam 2.jpg

Last edited:

Forced induction could give your 4.0 better torque and fuel economy. ;)

• USA Proud
Reactions: Apparition
I drank unpastuerized milk from the cow growing up. Scrape the creme off the top run it through a filter to catch bugs and hay. Awesome stuff. Like drinking ice cream.

But that's racist. :)

The issue was more along the lines of things like leftover paint being used to cut and extend the product. Pure capitalism! 😉

That's a curious domino effect from crash safety requirements leading to modern vehicles becoming increasingly thicc and blobby while reducing driver visibility out the windows and mirrors.

The move away from leaded gasoline is interesting because it was becoming very clear in the 1960s that there was a strong correlation between endemic lead pollution from engine exhaust and widespread neurological impairment. The switch to unleaded fuel corresponds to a dramatic decrease in neurological disorders and a reduction in crime. Basically we were poisoning ourselves with lead in conjunction with the proliferation of the automobile. And the automotive and oil industries of the time fought these EPA regulations.

Little known factoid regarding lead and the unintentional poisoning of ourselves.

I grew up during the 70's (at the end of the leaded gas era), in rural Southwest Michigan.
We were surrounded by dirt and gravel roads.
We used to pick wild strawberries that grew along the side of the road on our way back from town.
They were undoubtedly the best strawberries I can remember eating.

It wasn't until many years later that I learned strawberries have the ability to absorb and retain lead in quantities/volumes higher than most other plants.
The exhaust gasses and inevitable fuel dripping that occurred along these rural roads probably created toxic levels of lead in those strawberries.

They sure were good though.

I'm fine with every bit of that. When you get your license to drive, all you have to do is post a bond large enough to cover your care should you accidentally wind up in a coma at the state's (read mine and yours) expense for a few years.

Agreed. Motorcycle helmet laws for example. Its only reasonable to protest the impingement on your freedom if you also have made provisions for the cost of your care if the unthinkable occurs. And even that doesn't take into account the pain you cause others (if you are lucky enough to have anyone who cares about you).

Forced induction could give your 4.0 better torque and fuel economy. ;)

I'd expect the gains from this to be the most expensive torque and HP gains in the modern era.
Add a $1500 injection system to get 2% more torque and 4 more HP?

No thanks. I'd rather replace the entire engine with something better.

^^^THIS^^^

In my world, the 4.0 has PLENTY of power, it flat gets up and goes when you put your feet into the carburetor - uh, fuel injectors. More low end is always better.

Those of ya'll worshipping at the alter of the 4.0 as being highly successful need to remember that the exact same qualities can be attributed to the venerable Dana 35. Prolific, used in several platforms, started a long time ago in the early YJ, miniscule failure rate in stock form, and just an outstandingly good axle. That is if you want some actual perspective on your adoration.

My first car was a '65 Rambler Ambassador with a 232. My current TJ has the 4.0L. I guess I'm in a 50-year rut.

My first car was a 66 rambler classic 660. 232 torqueflight. That car drove great. I wish I'd kept it and put a 401 in it

There was a turbo 199 with crazy boost levels run in racing back in the day. Indy500? Daytona?

Reactions: Squatch
I'd expect the gains from this to be the most expensive torque and HP gains in the modern era.

Expensive, yes, the most expensive, I doubt that. Power gains from FI are proportional to the air/fuel volume increase, i.e. 14.5 lbs (1 bar/1 atmosphere) of boost will theoretically double the power output. I say theoretically because of obvious efficiency losses. $4-5K and 8lbs should have a stock 4.0 in the 300hp range. Of course, an LS swap should cost about the same and potentially net more power.

the choice to modify my amc was based on being in CA.it got me the power i wanted and a fresh engine that passes smog without drama. A v8 swap would have been cool.heck even a ford 4.0l v6 would have been an improvement,but not worth the work to make legal.

the choice to modify my amc was based on being in CA.it got me the power i wanted and a fresh engine that passes smog without drama. A v8 swap would have been cool.heck even a ford 4.0l v6 would have been an improvement,but not worth the work to make legal.

The things I've seen/read online make CA sound like a nightmare when swapping engines.

• Sad
Reactions: Rickyd and Squatch