TJ Fest 2021
Join us in Moab, Utah from 4/24/2021 to 5/1/2021 for the first annual TJ Fest 2021. Click here for more information.

What would it take to run 37 inch tires?

OP
J

Jainee

Thanks @JMT .

I have been always dreaming about jeeps since my childhood and finally got one. I’m not mechanically inclined so I have been doing cosmetic things myself.

I have been reading and learning and opening and breaking every part I could and it’s always fun!

I want to use her more than I’m currently using and of course I want her to be safe.

the parts are available in variety of range and there are so many YouTube. All Jeep owners are very helpful and really happy to share their journey.

i do want to go on a road trip, I have seen events organized for off road experience. I’m not aware where to register and need to check more. That definitely sounds fun!

I don’t think I ever got attached to any vehicle I ever owned :)

Kris M

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Thanks @JMT .

I have been always dreaming about jeeps since my childhood and finally got one. I’m not mechanically inclined so I have been doing cosmetic things myself.

I have been reading and learning and opening and breaking every part I could and it’s always fun!

I want to use her more than I’m currently using and of course I want her to be safe.

the parts are available in variety of range and there are so many YouTube. All Jeep owners are very helpful and really happy to share their journey.

i do want to go on a road trip, I have seen events organized for off road experience. I’m not aware where to register and need to check more. That definitely sounds fun!

I don’t think I ever got attached to any vehicle I ever owned :)
Being from Virginia you have a fantastic trail system up there. The Hatfield and McCoy trails system hundreds of miles of trails.

Rescue6

Long time wheeler
Supporting Member
You will really wish you didn’t. I’m on 37”s but my Tj is stretched 5.5”s in the rear so far and another3” up front happening in the next month. I also have aftermarket HP D44 front and HP D60 rear axles, 5.13 gears and lockers, an Atlas 4 speed t case etc etc etc. honestly the 5.13 gear ratio is not bad for driving daily. And I live innCO at altitude. I can easily get it up to 80 although I typically drive it around 65-70 tops on the road. I’m sure 5.38’s would be fun but not worth the cost at this point. I have the AX 15 trans for now but will soon have one of two auto’s I’ve sourced. Just have not decided whatcha to keep and go with yet. But having done it I’d say stick to 35”s or less. Especially if on a D30/D35 combo and only for the street. Your money is better spent elsewhere.

T_Hase89

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
He is my advice -

Right now it’s a daily for you. Do a 2” lift build set up for 31/32’s. Drive it. Enjoy it. Check local Facebook 4wd clubs etc... and find a beginner trail ride event. Go learn the basics of off roading. Get hooked on it. Spend hours a day reading and wondering and dreaming of this and that. Immediately think you want 40s / tons/cool kids stuff. Realize how expensive it is. Save you’re money. Buy a one ton rig for 30% of build cost because a guy is tired of it. Park it in the garage next to your 32” tire TJ you still daily. Enjoy it.

First half I was serious. Second half, mostly still serious. You’ve gotten some good advice here. Glad to see you are soaking it in well🙂

Reactions: mots

Daryl

2004 Rubicon
Supporting Member
He is my advice -

Right now it’s a daily for you. Do a 2” lift build set up for 31/32’s. Drive it. Enjoy it. Check local Facebook 4wd clubs etc... and find a beginner trail ride event. Go learn the basics of off roading. Get hooked on it. Spend hours a day reading and wondering and dreaming of this and that. Immediately think you want 40s / tons/cool kids stuff. Realize how expensive it is. Save you’re money. Buy a one ton rig for 30% of build cost because a guy is tired of it. Park it in the garage next to your 32” tire TJ you still daily. Enjoy it.

First half I was serious. Second half, mostly still serious. You’ve gotten some good advice here. Glad to see you are soaking it in well🙂
This is my mantra. Always cheaper to buy than build.

Reactions: DrDmoney

tworley

Bent Currie Club
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Ive been building my rig since 2014, I just recently completed what I believe takes to run 35s correctly. Gears being the last item I checked. Its fun endeavor, but its not cheap. Keep your 33s, build it up in the meantime, and get 35s when every other box is checked. I went everywhere on 33s that my friends on 35s did.

Reactions: DrDmoney