What's your Warn winch and why?

I paid $450 for the Zeon 8-S on my LJ. It was a ornament on a JK headed for trade-in. I have a M12000 on the Ram 2500 because it came with the truck. :D

The Zeon was a killer deal!!!

It has been a while since I owned one but what is wrong with a Harbor Freight? The small amount I used it worked just fine.

I got a Warn Zeon 10S... even though I was looking for the 8S, i went with the 10S because at the shop it was missing the remote and mounting hardware and discounted it down to $980. solid deal i couldn't pass up. Then found a warn winch plate used for $70. rather be over powered than under powered when out and about.

Reactions: Irun
M8000 with synthetic. Seemed to be the best compromise when all aspects are put together.

Capability
Parts Availability
Warranty
Small footprint
Lighter Weight (for a winch)
Price

Warn 9.5 TI on my driver Rubicon and another 9.5 TI on the shelf waiting for my project Jeep to get finished. I picked up one brand new in still in the box a couple of years ago $600 or $650 CDN.

I recently switched from Superwinch to a Warn Zeon 8. After doing the relocation to under the hood I now know why they are regarded as the best. The quality and thickness of the copper, metal and screws is very high. Everything fit together extremely well.

Keep an eye out on EBay, I was able to find a new in box with free shipping for six in change.

• Angry
Reactions: Plumber1 and Irun
I sold a brand new in the box never opened M8000 instead of replacing this.

hs9500.jpg

Reactions: Irun and L J
Thanks for all the comments and pictures. At this point I'm down to either a M8 or 9.5 XP. Although both winches have an outstanding reputation, the ability of the 9.5 to store 100' of synthetic rope (vs 85' on the M8), better sealing for water resistance, and additional pulling capacity makes it desirable. Also, the 9.5 has a considerably faster line speed, but that isn't a big requirement for me.

On the flip side, the M8 has more than enough power for my Jeep. It also weighs 55 lbs vs 68 lbs, assuming synthetic line and hawse fairlead, and is $600 less than the XP, with synthetic line from Warn.

Since I have a perfectly good winch now, I think I'm going to wait until Black Friday and see what kind of deals pop up. Frankly, I'm not expecting any significant price differences beyond what I found below, but I can afford to wait. Thanks again for all the input. At least my choice is down to two now!

Best prices I could find to date:

Warn 9.5 XP (Model 68500) - $1315
Warn 9.5 XPS (Model 87310) - $1526

Warn M8 (Model 26502) - $649
Warn M8S (Model 87800) - $920

I have an older XD9000 and sitting on the floor in my shop is an even older XD8000 (pretty sure both are the same with different labeling, although one may have a slightly different gear ratio?). I got both for free by doing some work for people. I have rebuilt both, just tearing them completely apart, cleaning them up and putting new grease in them.....everything I have read and experienced is the worst thing you can do to a winch is not use it. Sitting out in the weather is a non-issue as well as submersing it in fresh water while wheeling....but do not use it for an extended period of time and it tends to begin to have issues....

10s Platinum I really like having that remote

You need to stop teasing me with this sweet setup! :LOL: I have seriously looked at the Zeon Platinum. The issue I have is they're longer, at 24.25". With the existing bumper and fixed bar, a UCF steel ultra clearance, I don't think it will fit. It does look like I could drill new mounting holes, because I could move it back a little. Then, I'd be worried about not enough space at the base of the grill for airflow. I'm going to look at this a little more closely!

https://undercoverfab.com/jeep-tj-l...nch_hoop/36-fairlead_mount-add_fairlead_mount

You need to stop teasing me with this sweet setup! :LOL: I have seriously looked at the Zeon Platinum. The issue I have is they're longer, at 24.25". With the existing bumper and fixed bar, a UCF steel ultra clearance, I don't think it will fit. It does look like I could drill new mounting holes, because I could move it back a little. Then, I'd be worried about not enough space at the base of the grill for airflow. I'm going to look at this a little more closely!

https://undercoverfab.com/jeep-tj-l...nch_hoop/36-fairlead_mount-add_fairlead_mount
No issues with my Metalcloak front bumper ;)

I'd keep an eye out for a used M8000 or get a new steel cable one. Swap the steel cable with the synthetic line you already have. Steel cable for a rarely used trailer winch would be fine and the weight there is less critical. YMMV

M8000 came with my Jeep with a receipt from original purchase in 2005. Still going strong. Will be updating the cable and fairlead to synthetic as soon as the USPS package shows up. More than enough power of a TJ, and with a snatch block can really pull hard if needed.

Bought my 9.5cti new off some woman that worked for Toyota. She had a 2WD taco she planned on throwing it on but realized she’ll never go off road. 😂

Scored a screaming deal paying $600 for it and made most my $ back selling my old winch setup🤟🏽

F476720F-C4B8-448F-8344-62F8B041B3C6.jpeg

1CB933F8-2945-45AF-80E7-8A27D4683E23.jpeg

Reactions: TJ Starting