Where should I mount my hi-lift jack?

Roel Salazar

I dont know where to put my Hi lift jack, but I dont have a roof rack and Indont like it in top of the hood,

Can you name some cool locations tonput the jack?

Mine sits behind the factory roll cage, sitting on part of the tub just below the rub rails if you will, I have two heavy black rubber straps holding it firmly in place.

E3BF7F4F-0854-4ECB-B674-C7D84E239E8D.jpeg

On the floor in the garage had it on for 4 years never used it.

There are no cool places to mount a HiLift. You either mount it in the passenger space where you need to make it as secure as possible so if something goes awry it does not hurt you making it difficult to access or mount it somewhere on the outside where the elements get to the working bits and make it more difficult to operate.

I’ve used one a handful of times on the trail but never needed one. I carried on for a year or two years ago but not in the last 10-15 years. But when there is a brake down someone on trail inevitably says “ I have a high lift jack” I’ll that help and sometimes it can be used for something other than it’s original intent. I Have made a winch point out of one once, used the bar to hold a shaft into a broken Dana 35 long enough to get a rig about 300 yards down a trail and out of the way, used one to raise the rear of a rig and then push it off the Jack to the side relocating the back end, and as a lever to roll a few boulders off a shelf road section of trail. That being said I still own a couple. And use them from time to tim on my property for pulling stumps or fence posts, moving farm implements ets.

Reactions: inkedrose
This question was asked last week and has been asked in some variation many times before that. The answer is—the factory bottle jack is superior in virtually all aspects of function, size, space, weight, and safety compared to a high lift.

Reactions: pbeach and bucky
I agree with @HornedToad and others, it’s not ideal. But my Jeep didn’t come with the factory bottle jack and I had an old Hi-lift in my garage So I did this for now:
1644303451164.jpeg

Ultimately, a winch and bottle jack will probably replace it, but it’s better than nothing. Brackets for bumper mount are available or it wouldn’t be hard to fabricate something.

I have a highlift that I’ve used a total of 5-6 times in the 10 years I’ve owned it. Never once was it used on the trail. Around the property it’s come in handy a few times but never used it on a vehicle. Under no circumstances would I mount one to my Jeep.

Mine rest in the corner of my climate controlled garage (whatever the climate is outside its the same inside) waiting for Jerry to make his move to Florida. Then I will be delivering it to him. He has been HiLift jackless for to long :ROFLMAO: 🤫

• Haha
Reactions: Tob and WSS
the factory bottle jack is superior in virtually all aspects of function, size, space, weight, and safety compared to a high lift.
So you're knee deep in mud and you have high centered on a rock as well, explain how you place your factory jack on a firm level spot so it doesn't slip off? I know there are two sides to this but really, "cowboy" jacks absouluty have a place on off road vehicles! Mine is on topp of my rear bumper and yes I have used it before, many many times quite successfuly. but you do need to be smart about it

I can think of maybe two occasions in the last 8 years where we thought a high jack could have helped us in a situation. Surprisngly though, we recovered without one.

Last edited:
So you're knee deep in mud and you have high centered on a rock as well, explain how you place your factory jack on a firm level spot so it doesn't slip off? I know there are two sides to this but really, "cowboy" jacks absouluty have a place on off road vehicles! Mine is on topp of my rear bumper and yes I have used it before, many many times quite successfuly. but you do need to be smart about it
Stay out of the mud.

Reactions: 707kevin
I have mine mounted behind the spare on the tire swing. It makes a great handle for opening the tire swing and I also hang my daypack from it while I’m putting my hiking boots on. I’ve never used it for anything else.

664C7692-E89F-467A-95E9-7D6500724088.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: WSS