Went out ealier and battery was dead. Charged it up and if its dead again Ill be going by Batteries + to get a new Odyssey. The winch battery is ok and I can use it to start it but prefer to keep them isolated.

If younhave a batteries + store you can pay online and get 10% off

Reactions: Chris
I picked up a new AGM battery today.
20161227_163314.jpg
20161227_163500.jpg

Reactions: KCsTJ and Chris
Never heard of AGM
Absorbed Glass Matting.... it is still a conventional lead-acid battery design but the acid is not a liquid, it is a paste that is pressed into woven fiberglass matting which is sandwiched in between the layers of lead.

An AGM battery's design is solid so it is far more resistant to being damaged by shock, jarring, etc. encountered while offroad. Conventional 'wet' acid design batteries suspend their lead plates in liquid acid and the lead plates can be broken off by impact which shorts the cell out.

Where Jeeps that go offroad are concerned, AGM is generally always a better choice.

This is how your Optima's AGM cell design compares to a standard AGM design... you get less battery for your buck in the same space with Optima's. Optima of course is on the right.

OdysseyVs.Optima.gif

Reactions: derekmac and Chris
Absorbed Glass Matting.... it is still a conventional lead-acid battery design but the acid is not a liquid, it is a paste that is pressed into woven fiberglass matting which is sandwiched in between the layers of lead.

An AGM battery's design is solid so it is far more resistant to being damaged by shock, jarring, etc. encountered while offroad. Conventional 'wet' acid design batteries suspend their lead plates in liquid acid and the lead plates can be broken off by impact which shorts the cell out.

Where Jeeps that go offroad are concerned, AGM is generally always a better choice.

This is how your Optima's AGM cell design compares to a standard AGM design... you get less battery for your buck in the same space with Optima's. Optima of course is on the right.

View attachment 8643

Makes sense! Of course I've heard from many that Optima batteries have gone downhill from what they used to be. Do you know if there's any truth to that?

Of course I've heard from many that Optima batteries have gone downhill from what they used to be. Do you know if there's any truth to that?
Absolutely true. Optima was bought by Johnson Controls who moved all of Optima's manufacturing down into Mexico. They started using less pure lead at that point which is when their problems started. I met a rep from an Optima distributor a couple years ago, his company also served as an Optima warranty return center. He said their warehouse was overflowing with returns of defective Optima batteries. Many former Optima dealers like Costco stopped carrying them due to all the returns they suddenly started getting once they started being manufactured in Mexico.

I had three Optima batteries fail prematurely, two Yellow Tops and one Blue Top. I will never buy another Optima.

Reactions: MaloStapalo
Absolutely true. Optima was bought by Johnson Controls who moved all of Optima's manufacturing down into Mexico. They started using less pure lead at that point which is when their problems started. I met a rep from an Optima distributor a couple years ago, his company also served as an Optima warranty return center. He said their warehouse was overflowing with returns of defective Optima batteries. Many former Optima dealers like Costco stopped carrying them due to all the returns they suddenly started getting once they started being manufactured in Mexico.

I had three Optima batteries fail prematurely, two Yellow Tops and one Blue Top. I will never buy another Optima.

I'll bet Johnson Controls is kicking themselves in the ass for that move. They're probably losing more money on all the warranty replacements than they would have if they'd just kept things the way they were.

The last Optima I had was back in 2005 I believe, and I never had a single issue with it. Of course, that was likely before they made the move to Mexico. I haven't bought once since due to all the issues I've heard with them floating around the Internet.

You just confirmed it for me too. They won't be getting my business (or word of mouth) anymore.

Reviving this thread:

Been taking longer to start my Jeep recently. Took it to Autozone to get a free battery check. The dude said he'd start to look for a replacement soon.

However, I have honestly no knowledge on the subject of batteries.

I've had an Autocraft Silver for about 3 years now, and currently it is slightly swollen.

But I still don't truly know what the cause is for my longer starting times? Shouldn't my alternator charge up my battery and leave it good as new no matter how weak my current battery is?

In addition, I've been wanting to replace my battery cables anyway just as a preventative maintenance measure. I understand that corroded cables could also contribute to longer start times?

Regardless. For a replacement battery, if that's what it has to come to, I'm willing to pay the $$$ for an Odyssey, however, I'd like to know what value I'd be getting over buying another typical $120 over the counter battery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reviving this thread:

Been taking longer to start my Jeep recently. Took it to Autozone to get a free battery check. The dude said he'd start to look for a replacement soon.

However, I have honestly no knowledge on the subject of batteries.

I've had an Autocraft Silver for about 3 years now, and currently it is slightly swollen.

But I still don't truly know what the cause is for my longer starting times? Shouldn't my alternator charge up my battery and leave it good as new no matter how weak my current battery is?

In addition, I've been wanting to replace my battery cables anyway just as a preventative maintenance measure. I understand that corroded cables could also contribute to longer start times?

Regardless. For a replacement battery, if that's what it has to come to, I'm willing to pay the $$$ for an Odyssey, however, I'd like to know what value I'd be getting over buying another typical $120 over the counter battery?

Your In Texas. Unless your using power elsewhere, like lights or winch etc, get the cheapest battery you can find.

Up north where starting cold can happen at -20 f. Don’t mess around, and get a solid battery.

Just my two zinc chips.

Reactions: jeepins and Kyle_W
I tested my voltage on the battery, and it's at 10.4. I just need to put a trickle charger on it to bring it back up to 12?

But - up north, the cold really takes a toll on your batteries?

I tested my voltage on the battery, and it's at 10.4. I just need to put a trickle charger on it to bring it back up to 12?

But - up north, the cold really takes a toll on your batteries?

Up north definitely needs a stronger battery. I'm running 850 cold cranking amps and wish I got more. It's been fine with a winch and -20*. I'd also suggest replacing it with a new one if yours isn't at 12v. Get at least 600 cold crank apps but it's not going to matter much since your in Texas. Number of things could be causing longer start. Fuel pump, battery, alternator for starters. I wouldn't advise "cheapest you can find" but you don't need to go overboard with an expensive one.

Reactions: Chris
Up north definitely needs a stronger battery. I'm running 850 cold cranking amps and wish I got more. It's been fine with a winch and -20*. I'd also suggest replacing it with a new one if yours isn't at 12v. Get at least 600 cold crank apps but it's not going to matter much since your in Texas. Number of things could be causing longer start. Fuel pump, battery, alternator for starters. I wouldn't advise "cheapest you can find" but you don't need to go overboard with an expensive one.

Roger that.

I am curious as to why my alternator doesn't just charge the battery up to 12 volts?

Or do I need to put a charger on the battery and watch it until it goes back up to 12?

Roger that.

I am curious as to why my alternator doesn't just charge the battery up to 12 volts?

Or do I need to put a charger on the battery and watch it until it goes back up to 12?
This may not apply, my knowledge of batteries is limited. I know say aa batteries and phone batteries lose their ability to hold a full charge slowly over time. If your battery is old enough it may be going thru the same thing. I can't see why else it wouldn't recharge it. I do know there are many types of car batteries, some better than others. I would stay away from the current optima batteries as I've heard few good things about them since they were bought out. orielys carries a rebrand of the platinum something (sorry I can't remember I bought it over a year ago) and is a rebranded version of one of the best batteries for TJs. It possibly was Oddessy?ill try to figure it out if your interested. It was like $180 I belive.

Reactions: Kyle_W