I realize this is an old thread but I thought someone might like to know Autozone is running a winter sale right now. I just picked up an Odyssey 34/78 PC-1500 for about $60 off. Price was $296 (battery) + $18 (core charge) + $16.18 (CT tax) - $59.20 (discount code "winter20") = $270.97. Shipping was free. Not sure if I'll get the core charge back but that would save an extra $18 making the total price $252.97. The cheapest price could find elsewhere was $295 total. The Odyssey web store wants $304.87.

And no, I don't work for Autozone.

I realize this is an old thread but I thought someone might like to know Autozone is running a winter sale right now. I just picked up an Odyssey 34/78 PC-1500 for about $60 off. Price was $296 (battery) + $18 (core charge) + $16.18 (CT tax) - $59.20 (discount code "winter20") = $270.97. Shipping was free. Not sure if I'll get the core charge back but that would save an extra $18 making the total price $252.97. The cheapest price could find elsewhere was $295 total. The Odyssey web store wants $304.87.
They don't come better than Odyssey. When my nearly ten year old Sears Diehard Platinum, manufactured by Odyssey, finally gives up the ghost that'll be my #1 first choice.

I’ll be putting an AGM Deka Battery this year. Made in USA. . I do work for Deka ( fork lift batteries) so I’ll get a nice discount. Deka makes bmw batteries. Harley Davidson, AAA , bass pro shop, duracell car batteries. Plus a lot of other private label batteries.

Just purchased the OReillys branded AGM also made by Deka. I have used them in a few different vehicles and had zero issues.

FYI costco interstate is not the same as a dealer interstate. The dealers wont warranty them, have to warranty at costco. Tim

Installed an Odyssey Battery last week, noticed the gel units are a lot heavier than the liquid. Neither here nor there though. Just happy with the extra aux posts for my lights and amplifiers

Group 65 batts fit the stock tray without modifying. It takes a little effort to pop it in the hold down tab.

850-cca
150min reserve
Available at any walmart for easy replacement.
$95
https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Maxx-Lead-Acid-Automotive-Battery-Group-65n/20703125

I've run optima's, diehard and other AGM batts in other vehicles. They don't last
any longer(anymore) and are not worth the added cost.
The original panasonic AGM in my miata lasted 14 years with no float charging/etc, the dealer purchased AGM replacement lasted 2.

Float charge any battery you want to last in vehicles not driven weekly.

Last edited:
If you offroad your Jeep on anything but smooth fire roads AGM batteries will definitely outlast any conventional 'wet' battery. Odyssey batteries have the best reputation of any of them, my battery was made by Odyssey and it's now ten years old and doing great. I agree with keeping a float charger on the battery of any vehicle not driven regularly, I do that with my TJ and trailer batteries.

I use NorthStar AGM batteries in all my cars.

NorthStar is a manufactuer of a lot of OEM and retail batteries, and are well regarded especially in the car audio world. Granted we aren’t running 10kW subwoofers and 4+ alternators.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...e-competition-in-torture-tests-190660061.html
https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/189121-my-test-group-31-battery-roundup-round-1/
https://www.impactbattery.com/blog/2017/01/the-best-agm-battery-no-one-knows-about/
Canadian tire AGM batteries are actually rebranded NorthStar batteries.

By the way, a group 24 battery fits in the TJ stock location with no modifications. It has the same footprint, but is an inch taller than a group 34. Usually means 10-20% larger capacity.

I put the NSB-AGM24M in mine. Comes with a 76 Ah capacity, and has both automotive and marine terminals built in.

Reactions: ftwhite3
Group 65 batts fit the stock tray without modifying. It takes a little effort to pop it in the hold down tab.

850-cca
150min reserve
Available at any walmart for easy replacement.
$95
https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Maxx-Lead-Acid-Automotive-Battery-Group-65n/20703125

I've run optima's, diehard and other AGM batts in other vehicles. They don't last
any longer(anymore) and are not worth the added cost.
The original panasonic AGM in my miata lasted 14 years with no float charging/etc, the dealer purchased AGM replacement lasted 2.

Float charge any battery you want to last in vehicles not driven weekly.
How is that Everstart Maxx working out? I might be buying a new battery in the next few days, was just looking at the Everstart Maxx group 34 with 800cca. It seems hard to beat at less than a hundo, and a 3 year no questions asked warranty

I know this is an older thread but don’t want to start one of my own, does anyone have any kind of experience with NAPA batteries enough to have an opinion on them? I’m looking at buying this one to replace the one in the Jeep I got about a month ago cause it looks like they shoved a lawn mower battery in the Jeep and called it a day, and long story short it doesn’t like starting once in a while haha
00CF5182-8807-41CB-905E-E8A912CD6E26.png

2022 resurrection. 😁

My Jeep came with a yellow top Optima dated 4/19.
Today it shit the bed. Put it on a charger and after a long slow charge the charger said it was at 100% at 6v?? What?
The charger has a jump start feature. That didn't work, trickle charge didn't work.

Yellow top is dead. Here in Southern AZ the sun likes to eat batteries for lunch.

Looks like I will be searching for a new battery.
My choices around here are Interstate, Autozone, Batteries Plus and Walmart.

I don't run winches, big sound systems, or 50 million lumen lights, so I may go pretty basic.

But the Interstate AGM doesn't look too bad and I think I get a small discount there.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
2022 resurrection. 😁

Today it shit the bed. Put it on a charger and after a long slow charge the charger said it was at 100% at 6v?? What?
The charger has a jump start feature. That didn't work, trickle charge didn't work.

Yellow top is dead. Here in Southern AZ the sun likes to eat batteries for lunch.

I don't run winches, big sound systems, or 50 million lumen lights, so I may go pretty basic.

But the Interstate AGM doesn't look too bad and I think I get a small discount there.

What I got to run the Jeep and the fridge ,been great

AA6CFD11-35EE-4DD1-BD62-4319B5775B7A.png

2022 resurrection. 😁

My experience with yellow tops, they,ve lasted about 2 years just long enough to get thru the warranty period. After three batteries never again. I'm running Odyssey now going on four years now without a hiccup.

Last edited:
The Interstate battery in my '01 is 6 1/2 years old.
With the temperatures in FL during the summer months and the continual use of the A/C; I check the battery terminals, cable clamps, cables and cable eyelets periodically for signs of oxidation.
Prior to leaving for a trip to the PI; I placed the battery on a Battery Tender due to prolonged inactivity.
Report after a recent load test on the battery while getting an alignment; the battery is in good condition and has plenty of life remaining.
When the battery finally gives up the ghost; I probably will be looking at another Interstate battery or NorthStar X2 battery.

Up until recently, I've always bought and recommended Autozone batteries because they last 7-8 years for me, but I'm trying out O'Reilly batteries now.

I was a Hell NO on Walmart batteries due to experience from years ago, but I bought a used car with one in it that was dated 6 years old and worked fine until I sold it, so Walmart batteries might be fine now.

Up until recently, I've always bought and recommended Autozone batteries because they last 7-8 years for me, but I'm trying out O'Reilly batteries now.

I was a Hell NO on Walmart batteries due to experience from years ago, but I bought a used car with one in it that was dated 6 years old and worked fine until I sold it, so Walmart batteries might be fine now.

How long have you had the O'Reilly battery?

I feel like a lot of these companies are selling off of past performance that no longer applies. The brand has been bought and sold so many times that these aren't even close to the same battery from 10 years ago. I bought my jeep a couple of years ago and it has a diehard platinum in it from 2013. I doubt I could get the same experience from the exact same battery today. The battery will die if I leave the doors off and don't drive it over a week. I keep thinking I need to replace the battery but I'll jump it and it starts working again until I leave it for another week.