Yes sir I was looking at an odyssey 1500 as a replacement battery - however, my current battery is only 2 years old. It shouldn't be low on voltage? That's why I am hoping a battery expert will chime in. Because I know nothing! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes sir I was looking at an odyssey 1500 as a replacement battery - however, my current battery is only 2 years old. It shouldn't be low on voltage? That's why I am hoping a battery expert will chime in. Because I know nothing! :D

You should be getting much more than 2 years out of a battery. Especially if it doesn't have to deal with extreme cold. I would suggest the O'reily auto parts rebrand. Half the cost of the Oddessy and it is the same thing I called Oddessy to confirm. Not saying all of their batteries are that quality. If you want I can get the tag info off mine Monday.

Reactions: Kyle_W
You should be getting much more than 2 years out of a battery. Especially if it doesn't have to deal with extreme cold. I would suggest the O'reily auto parts rebrand. Half the cost of the Oddessy and it is the same thing I called Oddessy to confirm. Not saying any battery from orileys is oddessy but mine is. If you want I can get the tag info off mine Monday.

Double post I guess? Not sure what happened here.

Last edited:
There are two things that batteries need to do, store energy (as voltage) and deliver that energy when needed ( as current). Batteries do get old. A battery for automotive applications is made up of 6 cells internally, each just over 2 volts. If your measuring around 10 volts, then you probably have a bad cell. The chemical reaction that happens to allow the elections to flow back and forth isn't working for some reason.

The other reason it may not work is that it can't deliver the energy fast enough. That means all the cells in the battery are less that optimum.

A car battery is design to deliver a lot of power, very quickly. They don't like to be discharged...in other words, it's not good to let the radio play if the engine isn't running, use a winch without the engine on, etc. They also don't like to be charged quickly, so if you have a dead battery, the worst thing you can do is let the car charge it.

Obviously, stuff happens and you sometime need to misuse the battery. They hold up for a while. Repeated misuse will end its life more quickly tho.

So...why do people like Optimas? They are a different style of battery. They are not a pure starting battery. They are a hybrid between a starting battery and a deep cycle (a battery the is designed to be discharged and recharged all the time). So they deliver the energy nearly as quick as a starting battery, yet the can tolerate deep discharge, like running a winch, without as many bad effects. They are also constructed differently, so they don't leak on their sides or upside down.

The technical term for that type of battery is absorbed glass mat or agm. They are also called gel. Here is a link...note, optima isn't the only game in town on these types of batteries.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/absorbent_glass_mat_agm

To @Kyle_W you should bite the bullet, and get a new battery. Sounds like yours is toast. When they test them at an auto store, they are doing a load test, too see if the battery can release enough current quickly for dependable starting. When it fails that test...you're on borrowed time.

You should be getting much more than 2 years out of a battery. Especially if it doesn't have to deal with extreme cold. I would suggest the O'reily auto parts rebrand. Half the cost of the Oddessy and it is the same thing I called Oddessy to confirm. Not saying all of their batteries are that quality. If you want I can get the tag info off mine Monday.

Exactly. Two years isn't a lot. I could throw money at the problem, which I typically like to do, however currently I have more time than I have money. I'd like to try and fix my battery before I buy a new one? I am not sure if I can attempt to recharge my battery with a trickle charger?

There are two things that batteries need to do, store energy (as voltage) and deliver that energy when needed ( as current). Batteries do get old. A battery for automotive applications is made up of 6 cells internally, each just over 2 volts. If your measuring around 10 volts, then you probably have a bad cell. The chemical reaction that happens to allow the elections to flow back and forth isn't working for some reason.

The other reason it may not work is that it can't deliver the energy fast enough. That means all the cells in the battery are less that optimum.

A car battery is design to deliver a lot of power, very quickly. They don't like to be discharged...in other words, it's not good to let the radio play if the engine isn't running, use a winch without the engine on, etc. They also don't like to be charged quickly, so if you have a dead battery, the worst thing you can do is let the car charge it.

Obviously, stuff happens and you sometime need to misuse the battery. They hold up for a while. Repeated misuse will end its life more quickly tho.

So...why do people like Optimas? They are a different style of battery. They are not a pure starting battery. They are a hybrid between a starting battery and a deep cycle (a battery the is designed to be discharged and recharged all the time). So they deliver the energy nearly as quick as a starting battery, yet the can tolerate deep discharge, like running a winch, without as many bad effects. They are also constructed differently, so they don't leak on their sides or upside down.

The technical term for that type of battery is absorbed glass mat or agm. They are also called gel. Here is a link...note, optima isn't the only game in town on these types of batteries.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/absorbent_glass_mat_agm

To @Kyle_W you should bite the bullet, and get a new battery. Sounds like yours is toast. When they test them at an auto store, they are doing a load test, too see if the battery can release enough current quickly for dependable starting. When it fails that test...you're on borrowed time.

Understood - thank you! I took my Jeep to autozone the other day and his testing machine was stating that I had low charge. He also mentioned that he felt my battery looked a little swollen.

Upon my own voltage test yesterday, 10.4v, yes it is undercharged. However, what can I do about this? Can I have my battery charged back up? Or what can I do?

My starting became weak / slow last week after I was having a coolant leak / air in my coolant lines problem. The original problem was, what we believe, was a bad thermostat. Which I have no idea how this would affect my battery? I just am curious as to the origins of this dilemma.

Thank ya'll!

When you say slow to start...the starter runs slow? A bad cell will cause low voltage. If it overcharged, that could have caused the swelling and the bad cell. You might want to get your alternator checked. If the regulator is bad, it will overcharge the battery.

When you say slow to start...the starter runs slow? A bad cell will cause low voltage. If it overcharged, that could have caused the swelling and the bad cell. You might want to get your alternator checked. If the regulator is bad, it will overcharge the battery.

I tested the alternator too. It was at 13.8 volts. So it's good!

Basically, due to the symptoms that I can recognize, my slow starting is related to battery issues. Not a lack of fuel or air.

I understand sir - however, is it possible that I can just plug my battery up to a charger and see if it'll return to 12 volts?

It might, but if its a bad cell, its a bad cell. You can't "fix" them...You can try to de-sulfate it with the right charger. I have a computerized charger that will try to overcharge the battery in a controlled way. Its supposed to break down the crystals that can form on the plates and equalize the battery. I've never had good luck with that on an automotive battery but YMMV.

You can try charging it. I won't say its not going to work. My gut tells me that you'll get it to 12 and throw it in the Wrangler thinking everything is Hunky-Dory. Then late at night in an isolated spot, that battery is going to give up, and you'll be stuck.

Just beware...a cell being maintained by a charger will measure 2.25 volts (in good condition)...so if you have 5 good cells, at 2.25 volts, you'll be at 11.25 Volts. Don't be fooled...that battery should hit 13.5V (6 x 2.25) to be considered fully charged.

Some good info in this thread. Keep in mind that cold weather may require a battery with more capacity but heat and deep discharging is what kills them. If you're not getting the typical 4-7 years out of a battery, check for parasitic loss causing your battery to slowly discharge every time it's parked. This will definitely shorten the life. Vehicles not driven for any length of time should have the neg cable disconnected. Stored batteries should be charged with an electronic charger from time to time. Conventional batteries lose 10-15%/month, AGM's 2-3%/month.

It might, but if its a bad cell, its a bad cell. You can't "fix" them...You can try to de-sulfate it with the right charger. I have a computerized charger that will try to overcharge the battery in a controlled way. Its supposed to break down the crystals that can form on the plates and equalize the battery. I've never had good luck with that on an automotive battery but YMMV.

You can try charging it. I won't say its not going to work. My gut tells me that you'll get it to 12 and throw it in the Wrangler thinking everything is Hunky-Dory. Then late at night in an isolated spot, that battery is going to give up, and you'll be stuck.

Just beware...a cell being maintained by a charger will measure 2.25 volts (in good condition)...so if you have 5 good cells, at 2.25 volts, you'll be at 11.25 Volts. Don't be fooled...that battery should hit 13.5V (6 x 2.25) to be considered fully charged.

Makes sense. Got it! That's what I'm worried about. My battery just dropping out completely soon and me being stuck somewhere.

Thanks for the advice!

I am curious as to why my alternator doesn't just charge the battery up to 12 volts?

Or do I need to put a charger on the battery and watch it until it goes back up to 12?
This is an old question but it was never answered... the alternator on modern vehicles including our TJs is now powered by the battery. If the battery is too low, it can't power the alternator to charge the battery. The alternator can charge a moderately discharged battery or keep a battery topped off but it can't charge up a dead or nearly dead battery since the alternator runs on/requires voltage/power provided by the battery.

It was older generators and single-wire alternators that are self-exciting and don't need a battery at all to power the ignition system. Plus those older types can charge up a completely dead battery.

This is an old question but it was never answered... the alternator on modern vehicles including our TJs is now powered by the battery. If the battery is too low, it can't power the alternator to charge the battery. The alternator can charge a moderately discharged battery or keep a battery topped off but it can't charge up a dead or nearly dead battery since the alternator runs on/requires voltage/power provided by the battery.

It was older generators and single-wire alternators that are self-exciting and don't need a battery at all to power the ignition system. Plus those older types can charge up a completely dead battery.
Thank you! That makes a lot of sense. I had no idea that was the case.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Absorbed Glass Matting.... it is still a conventional lead-acid battery design but the acid is not a liquid, it is a paste that is pressed into woven fiberglass matting which is sandwiched in between the layers of lead.

An AGM battery's design is solid so it is far more resistant to being damaged by shock, jarring, etc. encountered while offroad. Conventional 'wet' acid design batteries suspend their lead plates in liquid acid and the lead plates can be broken off by impact which shorts the cell out.

Where Jeeps that go offroad are concerned, AGM is generally always a better choice.

This is how your Optima's AGM cell design compares to a standard AGM design... you get less battery for your buck in the same space with Optima's. Optima of course is on the right.

View attachment 8643

Hi @Jerry Bransford ,

Seem like you are the only one that brings the offroad use of the battery to the table. As far as my battery knowledge goes the AGM compacted design make it more shock proof than conventional batteries.

Did you have any knowledge of any of the AGM battery manufacturers that mention shock proof on their documentation?

I'm currently looking into a new AGM battery and the shock proof is one of the features I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance!

It really depends on what the climate is like where you live, but AGM batteries are always a good choice in all climates. Here in the hot desert you can expect about two years out of any standard battery, 3-4 from AGM if you mostly park in the garage and are really lucky. When I lived in a cold climate it wasn't uncommon to see 6 years or more on a battery. The cold will drop the available amperage but that will return when the battery warms up. The heat straight kills batteries. Some brands are better for cold and some better in heat in my experience but I'm not trying to start that debate. ;)

In my car I use Duralast gold and it dies every 2 years almost to the day but has a good warranty. My truck gets a Duralast premium AGM and lasts about 3. The Jeep currently has a year and a half old Interstate and I'm expecting that to die at any time. Interstate is one of the best cold weather batteries but I'd never buy one here in the heat. If it doesn't die before the heat subsides for the year I'll replace it with an AGM weather it needs it or not next spring.

It really depends on what the climate is like where you live, but AGM batteries are always a good choice in all climates. Here in the hot desert you can expect about two years out of any standard battery, 3-4 from AGM if you mostly park in the garage and are really lucky. When I lived in a cold climate it wasn't uncommon to see 6 years or more on a battery. The cold will drop the available amperage but that will return when the battery warms up. The heat straight kills batteries. Some brands are better for cold and some better in heat in my experience but I'm not trying to start that debate. ;)

In my car I use Duralast gold and it dies every 2 years almost to the day but has a good warranty. My truck gets a Duralast premium AGM and lasts about 3. The Jeep currently has a year and a half old Interstate and I'm expecting that to die at any time. Interstate is one of the best cold weather batteries but I'd never buy one here in the heat. If it doesn't die before the heat subsides for the year I'll replace it with an AGM weather it needs it or not next spring.

Thanks @Nimbley
Good info. I do live on CLE, Ohio. Cold weather is predominant here. My Jeeps is mostly a Trail rig and even when I do my best turn the motor on between wheeling trips does not happens as it should. But you are right the batteries tend to last longer in the cold.

I will need to replace my ole Interstate as I drained using my ARB fridge and now does not hold charge as use to do. I will be going the AGM path, not sure yet which application will be the better for my case.

Oh, no worry about start any debate, they surge on their own especially when we not intend them.

A high quality AGM battery like the Odyssey PC1500 you mentioned above is inherently very shock and vibration resistant. Many including myself believe Odyssey manufactures the best batteries available at this point in time. My 10 year old Diehard Platinum AGM was manufactured for Sears by Odyssey and it's still going strong.

Reactions: Chris
Cold makes batteries work harder, and heat KILLS them. In hot climates like TX, a lower CCA flooded battery is preferred because it has more electrolyte in it that helps dissipate heat. Heat is the enemy of a battery's internals so even a low CCA Flooded battery is better in hot climates than a premium product like an AGM would be, because it handles the heat much better. Many Heavy Duty Truck fleets in TX run 660 CCA batteries for this very reason. I prefer Exide, partly because I know they're USA made batteries but they're all about comparable within each group size & price point.

This is the only way to go for a starting battery, 3.9 pounds weight...but most people on here would not pay the exorbitant price if $350 for a battery. Its small enough to put in 3 on a standard battery box. Tim
https://www.batterymart.com/p-ltx36...5ymiSK-uNyqyt0v7FkVX-QaELTgPEyuxoCeCAQAvD_BwE

ltx36c-leftangle_fullsize_540x540.jpg