... The battery will die if I leave the doors off and don't drive it over a week...

Um... most cars will get a dead battery if you have them sit for a week with the dome light on...

If the "doors off" part is just a red herring you may need to check for drains. Or disconnect the battery if it's going to sit, which is what I do. $15 blade switches on all rarely-used vehicles makes it easy.

Um... most cars will get a dead battery if you have them sit for a week with the dome light on...

If the "doors off" part is just a red herring you may need to check for drains. Or disconnect the battery if it's going to sit, which is what I do. $15 blade switches on all rarely-used vehicles makes it easy.

i pull the bulb out in the summer but it doesn’t seem to help. I need to track down the problem but just haven’t had the motivation to do that yet

i pull the bulb out in the summer but it doesn’t seem to help. I need to track down the problem but just haven’t had the motivation to do that yet

Pull the 10 amp fuse in the fuse box behind the glove box. I believe it's #4, lower right hand corner.

I'm running a battery from Rural King made by Exide. I've ran several batteries from there and haven't had to replace one yet. I do have one WalMart battery in my 12v converted Farmall Cub. It's been in there 6 years now, but I disconnect the negative cable when I park it.

How long have you had the O'Reilly battery?

I now have three of them. None of these are daily driven, so make of that what you will. I have 1 from last year '21, 1 from '19, and an AGM in my Jeep from '16 I believe. No issues. I drive or charge each at least once every 2-3 weeks.

I feel like a lot of these companies are selling off of past performance that no longer applies.

I agree. I had good experience with Optima batteries years ago, but when I went to buy a battery in '19 I started hearing and reading that Optima batteries had changed hands and were no longer good batteries. That's why I gave the O'Reilly battery a try.

I had good experience with Optima batteries years ago, but when I went to buy a battery in '19 I started hearing and reading that Optima batteries had changed hands and were no longer good batteries.
That is true, Johnson Controls bought Optima and then immediately moved the entire automotive battery manufacturing line where they started using cheaper lead alloys instead of pure lead. I'm not sure what else changed in Mexico but their quality and longevity took a big nose-dive. I had two Optima Yellow Tops and one Blue Top fail prematurely, right after their short warranties expired.

Reactions: Akitadog and BlueC
Well I tried the battery revive utilizing another battery before I bit the bullet on a new battery. A last ditch effort.

Even after Autozone called the time of death on it.

After the revive and slow charge it sat at 12v on the bench for a few hours. Put it in the jeep and it fired up. Although it was a bit slow.

So I'll watch it over the next day or so. If it's not gonna live I will be off for a new AGM. Not to optimistic during to it being that the sun is hungry for batteries this time of year.

I also now run one of these when it sits for some time.
20220712_200524_resized.jpg

Reactions: Zorba
Drove around last night for about an hour. Today it started but it was a sluggish start.
I see a battery in the very near future.

What I got to run the Jeep and the fridge ,been great

View attachment 342384

After reading this thread and seeing this battery get recommended a few times. I doubled down and got one for the daily driver TDI and the Jeep. Neither lasted and both are dead after two years. The DieHard Platinum it replaced in the Jeep was 8 years old with no change to any accessories or use interval. The TDI was 7 years on a Deka flooded cell again, no added or changed electrical stuff, and still the daily.

Of course, I had to PCS away from Batteries+ so there is no warranty coverage on the X2Power. Your mileage may vary, but I don't recommend it.

Reactions: srimes
Have a yellow top (2020)now that replaced my 5yr duralast. Haven’t had any issues with it, but it only has been 2 years. If I wasn’t in a rush, I’d have gotten an odyssey based on great reviews from the forum

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
After reading this thread and seeing this battery get recommended a few times. I doubled down and got one for the daily driver TDI and the Jeep. Neither lasted and both are dead after two years. The DieHard Platinum it replaced in the Jeep was 8 years old with no change to any accessories or use interval. The TDI was 7 years on a Deka flooded cell again, no added or changed electrical stuff, and still the daily.

Of course, I had to PCS away from Batteries+ so there is no warranty coverage on the X2Power. Your mileage may vary, but I don't recommend it.

I’m old,what is pcs?why the 5 year warranty wasn’t honored?

Reactions: Zorba
I’m old,what is pcs?why the 5 year warranty wasn’t honored?

Permanent Change of Station. (Military) no chance I can return it when I’m five states from the nearest store. I also got angry that I had to keep jump starting my daily. The Jeep still has the X2, but it won’t for long. Dies in three days without having a trickle charger on it and cranks slow even when fresh off the charger. I checked for a draw, it’s just a bum battery.

Permanent Change of Station. (Military) no chance I can return it when I’m five states from the nearest store. I also got angry that I had to keep jump starting my daily. The Jeep still has the X2, but it won’t for long. Dies in three days without having a trickle charger on it and cranks slow even when fresh off the charger. I checked for a draw, it’s just a bum battery.

The battery is almost 300.00 I think I would find a way to get it replaced

Yup, but that’s really not possible when you move cross country. Maybe I could spend four days emailing and calling northstar directly, but honestly two strikes and they’re out. I need my vehicles to start when I turn the key.

Reactions: srimes
2022 resurrection. 😁

My Jeep came with a yellow top Optima dated 4/19.

Here in Southern AZ the sun likes to eat batteries for lunch.
That's the truth. Across at least the past 20+ years I can count on one hand the number of batteries that lasted more than two or three years in any of my vehicles, or my family's vehicles. The giant H8 AGM in my Canyon made it four years, but it also spent the first two years of its life with the PO up somewhere in the much milder Pacific Northwest.

I don't even look at battery specs anymore, I just look at the warranty and who is going to service it when that day comes. Doesn't matter who makes it, they're all going to die in about the same amount of time out here. I've wasted too much of my life waiting around for Autozone/OReilly employees to charge, test, and then argue about a very, very dead battery.

Costco batteries, if you say it's dead, it's dead. Aside from whatever line they have, you'll be done in less than five minutes, with a fresh 3-year warranty term. The only real downside I see is that there are much fewer Costcos, open for less hours, than most other options.