Which coil springs are the softest for a lifted TJ?

I went through this whole thing a few years ago. I installed 2 inch OME heavy duty springs along with their shocks and the ride was quite harsh. So I replaced the heavy duty springs with light duty springs. The ride was much better. I reported these results and boy did I get flamed for saying that springs affect ride quality! When I offered a physics 101 explanation as to why this might be true the flames got hotter. The reaction was so strong I thought I must have been wrong. So I did a blind test with a neighbor. First I took him for a ride with the LD springs. Then, without his knowledge of what I had done I took him for a ride with the re-installed HD springs. The reaction was immediate and conclusive. He thought the ride was worse. I got more input from my wife who knew I was working on the Jeep but didn’t know what I had done. With the HD springs she immediately asked what I had done to make the ride worse.

So there you have it. Basd upon my sample of one, spring rates can affect ride quality, albeit perhaps not as much as the shocks. This was not a case of the shocks reaching their up or down limits. This was just on ordinary roads. When offroad the ride with the LD springs was bad because I was always bottoming out. The HD springs are better in that regard.
And again, did the switch between springs change the ride height?

TurboTJ ,
you made my day 👍👍🤗
Thanks
I say this all the time. It is mostly very soundly ignored. Once you properly set up a rig with coil overs so that the springs do not need a tender to keep from dropping out and they give you the design ride height you are after with the proper amount of preload, you figure out very quickly that springs do not affect ride quality. It really is that simple.

Did your ride height change between the spring swaps?
See last line.
Screenshot_20220105-123125_Chrome.jpg

Why does a change in ride height matter? Does the shock damping get stiffer or softer if ride height is lowered?
Because the down travel and up travel of a shock matter. The same shock will not work the same way at 1" lift and 3" lift.

A shock should work as close to 50/50 ratio as possible (50 % up travel / 50% down travel)

Can you explain a bit more on how the shocks act at different shaft positions?

If you hit a bump or drive over a hole, is your ride going to be better if you have 1" of shock stroke or 4" before the shock hits the end of it's travel?

Reactions: jjvw
I still consider myself a noob here, but this was my way of putting it, earlier in this thread.

Can you explain a bit more on how the shocks act at different shaft positions?

The more often the vehicle uses the jounces or reaches either end of the shock travel, the less pleasant the ride becomes.