Who Locks Their Doors?

jesseshoots

TJ Enthusiast
I was wondering who locks their TJ doors, full or half?

I ask because I don’t lock mine, and for good reason. I went to grab something from the Jeep tonight and found that someone had broken in and gone through all my stuff. I lock the glove box since my insurance card is in there, but they managed to pry it open.

Nothing was taken since I don’t keep anything valued over $10 in there, but it’s still frustrating to have to put everything neatly back in place.

This is the second time this has happened to me. First time was with a ‘90 Miata with a hardtop. Still never locked the doors because it was cheaper and easier to replace the $80 stereo than clean up and replace the broken glass

I don’t lock mine simply because I keep the console and glove box locked because I run with the top and doors off a lot. Just don’t keep anything of value in it due to this. I understand what you are saying though. Lot of sorry ass people in the world. 😡

Reactions: fourpointzero
Full hard doors and soft top and I don't lock it. I carry nothing in the Jeep other than the soft top window storage bag bunched up and stuffed under the back of the seat. The console and glove box are completely empty (insurance card is kept on my phone). I'd rather not have the top cut, figure instead I'll just let them open the doors to see there's nothing inside to take. No guarantee against someone just being destructive and slicing it, but figure it lowers the odds.

I park mine outside and I don't lock it with the soft top on, always pull the head unit face, nothing kept in the jeep worth stealing. Rather let them riffle through it than replace a soft top window

Reactions: Starrs
Who Locks Their Doors?

Not me. Nothing in the Jeep worth locking the doors for, and risking someone slashing or smashing windows to get in.

If the doors are on, I lock them. Doesn’t matter which top or if it’s up or down. It’s my small tribute to Mel Brooks, Monty Python and other comedians of that time. Drives my wife nuts.

I lock nothing . . . There are only 2 items in my jeep. Insurance card and registration. If they want them they can have them. You can get an address from the plates so im not even worried about that.

I don't lock my doors. I only hope if some moron decides they need to get into my Jeep, that they check the doors before cutting my top, which is the main reason I don't lock them. They should hope I don't catch them in the act.

I use a concealed carry drawer for my paperwork and other misc stuff.

I have a friend that had his top cut with the doors unlocked. I don't know that it matters much unless you have a hardtop.

The glovebox lock is a joke. I've broken mine just forgetting it was locked.

Sometimes I lock my full doors if I stuff something between the seat and door temporarily.

Reactions: fourpointzero
I lock mine. Habit. Sucks getting broken into either way. Have had my console pried open, soft top windows cut... but I live in a better place now and on occasion i'll come home on weekends and fall asleep early and forget to lock it but no biggie as I don't freak out like I used to. And I still lock the full doors even with the top down because the Law of Jeepins states reaching into Jeep for any reason whatsoever gives Jeepins the right to kill you for being a stupid person.

I'm more worried about the ruthless toothless moped meth gang stealing my actual doors than what's in the Jeep. I lock the hardtop Jeep like any other vehicle. If it's the softtop Jeep, I leave the doors unlocked.

I recently acquired a set of oem half doors. Getting the lock barrels back in the mail tomorrow, been refurbing the doors making them pretty again. I'm considering leaving the actuator rod undone, so that the half doors can ONLY be locked/unlocked with the key, thus giving me the ability lock my half doors to the Jeep. At least it will slow the thieves down......

Reactions: Long Rider
I lock mine. Habit. Sucks getting broken into either way. Have had my console pried open, soft top windows cut... but I live in a better place now and on occasion i'll come home on weekends and fall asleep early and forget to lock it but no biggie as I don't freak out like I used to. And I still lock the full doors even with the top down because the Law of Jeepins states reaching into Jeep for any reason whatsoever gives Jeepins the right to kill you for being a stupid person.

And I'm contractor by trade, so my law of Jeepins is I keep a fresh hole dug for just such occasions. If you hear equipment running in the middle of the night just walk away......

I lock nothing . . . There are only 2 items in my jeep. Insurance card and registration. If they want them they can have them. You can get an address from the plates so im not even worried about that.

I wouldn't even keep those there. On a routine traffic stop a car thief could say he just borrowed the car and hand over the insurance and registration. Cop would probably let him go. Without those two pieces, cop is going to ask a lot more questions and eventually find out its stolen.

I lock mine out of habit just due to dumbass kids in my neighbourhood. I don't think they would have the guts to steal anything, but we've had our house egged before and such. More worried about them jumping in it and doing something stupid then trying to steal it or something inside. Locked doors are probably enough of a deterrent that they'd walk away.

Reactions: 02SteelBlue