Why the hate for snorkels?

Not being rude in any way, but this is a big misconception with a snorkel. If people are taking in water to the point where the stock airbox will allow, then water in your engine is only a part of your worries as all of your electronics would be absolutely fried along with you floating within the jeep due to how deep you really are. Some do it for the looks and that's fine, but when people say they NEED it, they forget about the other problems
I hear this over and over about frying all the electronics yet I’ve been power washings engines in my vehicles for 4 decades and have yet to fry anything.

Reactions: pc1p
Here’s my air filter and box after about 13-14k miles running an ARB snorkel. It doesn’t appear to have helped with keeping the dust out of the air box.

3666D94B-A525-48ED-B8AE-458EE1775889.jpeg

01F0194A-C41E-4483-880C-31CD09F9D7EF.jpeg

I hear this over and over about frying all the electronics yet I’ve been power washings engines in my vehicles for 4 decades and have yet to fry anything.
As opposed do other electrical components under the hood including connectors, make sure to avoid spraying the TPS (throttle position sensor) as if moisture makes its way in there it's toast. Fresh water moisture will dry out elsewhere but not inside the TPS.

Reactions: Vinman
In the Navy ('69-'75) we had two Jeeps and two M35 (deuce and a half) trucks on board our ship. I (ET) was the designated driver. The Jeeps had a sticker on the dash: "Do not drive through water over 4 ft deep." No doors, no snorkel. If I had to go through water, I took one of the trucks. I don't remember the truck's ground clearance, but they had 40" tires and I had to climb up into the cab. All were 4WD as we sometimes operated in swampy / jungle areas.

Reactions: Fishtaco
And i keep saying over and over about the difference between submerging and running water over it. I power wash my engine too and have no problems. If you go cross a pond deep enough to actually NEED a snorkel, youre gonna have a fun time frying all that. Not to mention sucking water into the diffs, transmission through breather hoses.

Reactions: pc1p
In the Navy ('69-'75) we had two Jeeps and two M35 (deuce and a half) trucks on board our ship. I (ET) was the designated driver. The Jeeps had a sticker on the dash: "Do not drive through water over 4 ft deep." No doors, no snorkel. If I had to go through water, I took one of the trucks. I don't remember the truck's ground clearance, but they had 40" tires and I had to climb up into the cab. All were 4WD as we sometimes operated in swampy / jungle areas.
Thank you for your service, I've taken the deuce through some deep water back in the days training soldiers on fording and off loaded vehicles from transporter on to a beach it was hell back than but after talking with friends it was actually fun but I don't think I would do that with my TJ since I have to pay for the damage.

I think one thing that needs to be mentioned is just how really well designed the stock air box is... It has plenty of surface for good filter longevity... It is easy to get to and easy to access the filter... The intake point is at the highest point of the engine compartment which is far beyond anything that a TJ should ever encounter... It's well made... Not brittle plastic or cheap clips like a Ford Econoline diesel air filter... At the end of the day a snorkel doesn't improve things enough to justify cutting a hole in the body.

sorry but i need to see it to believe it. and not just making a quick 10 second pass in water, im talking deep water to where your back is soaked sitting in the seat. The stock airbox is alot higher than most realize. In the end WHO cares, its your jeep do whatever you want to it form or function wise
Try watching the 2019 Ultimate Adventure where they ran in Eureka or where they were denied getting to the bus on the Stampede Trail and maybe you will understand you do not need to go pond crawling to need to do something with the factory airbox opening.

I think one thing that needs to be mentioned is just how really well designed the stock air box is... It has plenty of surface for good filter longevity... It is easy to get to and easy to access the filter... The intake point is at the highest point of the engine compartment which is far beyond anything that a TJ should ever encounter... It's well made... Not brittle plastic or cheap clips like a Ford Econoline diesel air filter... At the end of the day a snorkel doesn't improve things enough to justify cutting a hole in the body.
It is a good design until you dip your nose into an icy Alaskan river and that well designed opening is then the lowest point in the engine bay and well below water. Just like you and I can drown in an inch of water so can a Tj drown in less water than you think when you have to make a near vertical drop to enter a water crossing. I get that snorkles are not aesthetically pleasing to some but they can and do serve a purpose for some as well. There are places up here I can not go because I have not done something about moving that opening.

Try watching the 2019 Ultimate Adventure where they ran in Eureka or where they were denied getting to the bus on the Stampede Trail and maybe you will understand you do not need to go pond crawling to need to do something with the factory airbox opening.

It is a good design until you dip your nose into an icy Alaskan river and that well designed opening is then the lowest point in the engine bay and well below water. Just like you and I can drown in an inch of water so can a Tj drown in less water than you think when you have to make a near vertical drop to enter a water crossing. I get that snorkles are not aesthetically pleasing to some but they can and do serve a purpose for some as well. There are places up here I can not go because I have not done something about moving that opening.
I'm with you on this and was thinking of that Ultimate Adventure as well. Harry Wagner's ford is huge yet still managed to dunk the front end under and take on water.

I think too much of my life and my TJ to do that. If you have to do that to survive then you need to do whatever you need to do to survive up there.

Reactions: JMT
Here's a list of things that will never be on my Jeep.
Snorkel
Hi-Lift Jack (especially across the hood)
Pocket style fender flares (or any flares wider than Rubicon's)
Angry eyes
Stinger front bumper
Anything painted in dayglow colors
"If you can read this, flip me over" sticker
Gaudy led light bars
Wheels bigger than 15"
You read my mind on every one of these