Do snorkels really work?

If we are ignoring all the other modifications then I guess adding a propeller to jeep helps sometimes too
49A6C854-9AA2-4FED-BD11-D7F504DBE3E3.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: JLLJ and JMT
So the consensus I’m getting is snorkels work great on diesel electric submarines or with a mask and fins. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Educatemepls
I've put the front end of a tj into a huge hidden hole that I watched 3 other jeeps travel through. Just took a slightly different line. The front end was submerged and the engine hydrolocked. Didn't intend to submarine the jeep, just got swallowed up. I feel like a snorkel - like maybe the Hauk River Raider - may have saved the engine. Perhaps other components would have received damage but no way to tell now.

I've put the front end of a tj into a huge hidden hole that I watched 3 other jeeps travel through. Just took a slightly different line. The front end was submerged and the engine hydrolocked. Didn't intend to submarine the jeep, just got swallowed up. I feel like a snorkel - like maybe the Hauk River Raider - may have saved the engine. Perhaps other components would have received damage but no way to tell now.
A lot of people don’t seem to understand that the water doesn’t have to be 4’ deep to go over the airbox intake, I have crossed many creeks that were only a couple of feet deep yet when I dropped off the steep bank the water came up over the hood.

And all the talk about shorting out the electronics in the engine compartment is utter bullshit, I have power washed the engine compartments in every single vehicle I’ve owned in the last 30 years or so and have yet to have a problem relating to water.

The same people say unless you completely waterproof every single component of the jeep a snorkel is a waste of time.
I can tell you this much, if an electrical connection does somehow get wet, it is a lot easier to deal with then a bent connecting rod.

I have been getting codes from my cold air intake, so I ordered one just to see if it would keep the engine temp down like the intake does, and keep the sensors from fowling. We will see.

Reactions: mushdogs