Educate me on snorkels

Well do not come and wheel in Alaska then because you will die.
There used to be a pic of my CJ crossing Caribou Creek, I didn't quite make it before the engine died, a snorkle would have kept water out of the carb and intake...but now that I am in the desert, I am more worried about dust, the factory air box location is a dirt magnet, getting it up above a lot of the dust. But according to some on here, I am just ignorant...

My first Jeep, an M38, 1973? had a snorkel, an exhaust extension, and a completely sealed powertrain. The sparkplugs had Orings and fine threaded brass couplings. ALL the vents were routed to the air cleaner.

Fold the windshield and drive past the beach party with just yer head and shoulders visible, and you'll forget about how cold the water is.

Reactions: lindsey97
Here is an old video I took in my TJ playing in water. I live in South Florida. My TJ has never had a snorkel but it has been in water halfway up the headlights more times than I can remember. Same with my interior as water leaks in when submerged. I have not had any issues with my electronics shorting out etc.. I do have transmission issues because at the time I did not know the NSG370 did not have a breather hose. I have had to replace my started 1 time but that is it. I have wheeled with friends who have snorkels and have seen their TJ literally float across a deep water hole (4cyl).

Reactions: John Scoggins
A lot of people seem to think the electronics can’t handle a bit of water yet I have been pressure washing the engine and engine bays in every single vehicle I owned for at least the past 30 years. I have never covered anything in the engine bay prior to washing, in fact, I usually spend a bit of extra time thoroughly soaking the starter, alternator and behind all the other belt driven accessories to wash and mud and debris out. I’ve had exactly zero issues arising from this practice and I have never done anything along the lines of waterproofing electrical connections or any other components under the hood.
If your engine compartment can’t handle a bit of water, I suggest repair or replaceing the sub-par components.

Agree with Vinman on the water and engine compartment electrical connectors. In my case I do not know which is harder on the connectors, the brackish water that our 04 and 16 jeeps ( and our 88 Bronco and 18F150 for that matter) go thru that is at times, above the jeep fenders or the pressure washer at the end of the day washing off the brackish water.
Now for the electronics inside the Jeep that is another story and I think that is what most folks are talking about as far as water in connectors.

My interior has had plenty of rainwater and South Florida muddy water in it since I bought my brand new 2006 TJ. Few months back I decided to remove the AC blower motor to clean it and it looked like it was submerged in a swamp for decades lol.

Reactions: John Scoggins
1547588552754.png

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I've had my TCM apart, it is totally waterproof. I think most Jeep electrics are pretty good. I've also been caught in rainstorms and had water pouring over my instrument cluster. I've rusted out a few blower resistors and that's about it. I've heard some smart people (Blaine) say that the clock spring is vulnerable to water damage. I hope he's just crazy but realistically that's just denial on my part.

Regarding snorkels, if you are looking at somebody else's Jeep and are critical of the snorkel, the hi-lift or just about anything else... you might look into a hobby or something.

I've had my TCM apart, it is totally waterproof. I think most Jeep electrics are pretty good. I've also been caught in rainstorms and had water pouring over my instrument cluster. I've rusted out a few blower resistors and that's about it. I've heard some smart people (Blaine) say that the clock spring is vulnerable to water damage. I hope he's just crazy but realistically that's just denial on my part.

Regarding snorkels, if you are looking at somebody else's Jeep and are critical of the snorkel, the hi-lift or just about anything else... you might look into a hobby or something.
I agree the engine computer is totally waterproof. The rest of that, not so much. And being critical of something isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Every time I see a post from you with that picture of Glen Campbell , it makes me laugh! He looks pissed!
Haha! That man was about to break things! One of my favorites! I've been trying to find a version of it that's been photoshopped to where he's got clown makeup on, and it's even funnier!! Unfortunately, it might have been lost to history.

Reactions: B252