Educate me on snorkels

Who needs a snorkel when they have tires that will make you float
Check this guy out it looks like he has a snorkel too but i think it’s his exhaust

Looks ridiculous as hell, but I'll admit that this is probably the best way to ford any water since depth doesn't matter when you're floating. :roflmao:

There are some real idiots out there. Even if he had a snorkel installed that salt water did a number on all of the electrical components and connections exposed to it.

If insurance companies don't have an 'Except when the insured voluntarily does something completely stupid' clause in their policies they should.

Reactions: lindsey97 and StG58
Operation Petticoat
Minor trivia... that movie's pink submarine was actually based on fact lol. There was indeed an American sub during WWII that was nearly pink from an incomplete/damaged red lead painting process, even Tokyo Rose ridiculed it.

Last edited:
Minor trivia... that movie's pink submarine was actually based on fact lol. There was indeed an American sub during WWII that was nearly pink from an incomplete/damaged red lead painting process, enough that even Tokyo Rose ridiculed it.
Fun factoid #2:
The Navy had a pink submarine in Lake Pend Oreille for awhile as well. (Idaho) Research sub for testing accoustics and propulsion systems.

https://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-navys-most-vital-and-secretive-submarine-base-is-in-1590794426

It's been replaced now, I saw it around 1973 or so.

I tend to favor this yer snorkel deally.

At high-speed it gives you at least 30 additional HP through through "increased air induction"--when facing forward (says so, right on the box).

And, when treading deep water, you just spin it 180 degrees to the rear, to serve as your snorkel (says so, right on the box):

1547498033060.png

Last edited:
I have heard that the fan blades can get pulled into the radiator if you drive through deep water. If that is true, what good would a snorkel be anyhow?

I have heard that the fan blades can get pulled into the radiator if you drive through deep water. If that is true, what good would a snorkel be anyhow?

Maybe with an electric fan. The OEM clutch fan just slows down. I've had mine submerged to the top of the hood in the front (radiator completely submerged) with no ill-effects.

Exactly Chris, exactly. Most who buy them are just buying into the image they find cool and reminiscent of old exotic safari movies.
Y'all don't even want me to get started .
Exactly Chris, exactly. Most who buy them are just buying into the image they find cool and reminiscent of old exotic safari movies.

Especially if vent tubes aren't extended and properly vented to atmosphere . Otherwise if diffs and trans get hot when they hit cold water they tend to try to suck in through the axle and pinion seals if they can't get air in through vent.
On the military trucks it's called a fording kit. Involves many lines, and vent hoses, and is not for continuous use. It is for crossing streams and then is to be disengaged immediately after coming out of the stream.

Reactions: Agustin David
Snorkels make me want to circumcise myself with a cheese grater .

We have a nice Jeep , mostly TJ only dealer in Athens , Alabama and he won't deal in vehicles that owners have snorkeled and drowned ..at all.

There is no where anyone has to go for fun or work so important that totaling the vehicle is a good idea. They have another option ..it's called a boat ...and when you get to the water , you park the jeep and put the boat in.

People say you can't fix stupid ..let me tell you something ..you can't FINANCE it , vehicles that have seen this type water can cause they next unassuming owner a lot of heartache .

I'm getting more wound up the more I type .

How on God's green earth does anyone think relocating the air admittance has any positive benefit .

Try to breathe through a regular snorkel yourself , it's doable but half starves you for air.

More than anything , it just presents a Jeep as something it isn't...and any off road trip into water deep enough to require a snorkel (if it worked ) is beyond silly , it's potentially deadly.

I have a snorkel in current TJ and had one on the last 2 TJ’s I owned.
Where we wheel it is common to drop off a creek/river bank so steep that even two feet of water can be enough to get into the factory air box intake and risk hydro locking.
I hear of guys hydrocking engine about once a year in the areas we go, usually only during spring runoff but it’s often enough to convince me to take precations.
And as far as the other typical arguments in favour of snorkels like cleaner air, more power, “ram air” effect, better fuel mileage I can tell you without a doubt there is NONE of those benefits present, in fact, I typically see a dirtier air filter with the snorkel than without.

A co-worker and I were talking about the upcoming work I've got planned for my Jeep, and he suggested that I get a snorkel for mine. I told him I didn't buy a U-boat, and explained that I didn't see a point in driving in water deep enough that I'd need a snorkel myself.

Snorkels make me want to circumcise myself with a cheese grater .

We have a nice Jeep , mostly TJ only dealer in Athens , Alabama and he won't deal in vehicles that owners have snorkeled and drowned ..at all.

There is no where anyone has to go for fun or work so important that totaling the vehicle is a good idea. They have another option ..it's called a boat ...and when you get to the water , you park the jeep and put the boat in.

People say you can't fix stupid ..let me tell you something ..you can't FINANCE it , vehicles that have seen this type water can cause they next unassuming owner a lot of heartache .

I'm getting more wound up the more I type .

How on God's green earth does anyone think relocating the air admittance has any positive benefit .

Try to breathe through a regular snorkel yourself , it's doable but half starves you for air.

More than anything , it just presents a Jeep as something it isn't...and any off road trip into water deep enough to require a snorkel (if it worked ) is beyond silly , it's potentially deadly.

Well do not come and wheel in Alaska then because you will die.

Reactions: astjp2 and AndyG
Where is the waterproof line on a stock 02 tj? Is it the vent on top of the transmission? And if that breather vent was extended to, say, the top of the firewall, where is the next water vulnerable spot? I also heard that if you depress your clutch while submerged, it can suck in water. True?

Glad I got this convo going again, but..... waterproof line on stock tj? Anyone?