Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

If the 4 popper in mine every gives me issue I think a 5HO is gonna be my choice.

Did you mean 5.0, as in a coyote? Here’s a coyote in an LJ: https://www.wranglerforum.com/threads/coyote-swap.362065/#lg=thread-362065&slide=1

45766A41-F30F-420F-82B4-B22E5FEEADB2.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Hog and Wildman
If the 4 popper in mine every gives me issue I think a 5HO is gonna be my choice.

I haven't seen a 5HO in a rig for a a while. Last nice one I'd seen was a CJ7. I've seen it done in YJ's but never in person. Never seen one in a TJ, not saying it can't be done. It'd be nice to see one.

No old school 5.0 and for the sake of the feds if they are reading one out of a 98 explorer. With aluminum heads and a small cam it is lighter than the 4.0 and easily makes a reliable 300hp. It also is more compact and exhaust is far easier to deal with compared to say an LS.

I'd like to see that.
What transmission would you use?

Reactions: reddvltj
No old school 5.0 and for the sake of the feds if they are reading one out of a 98 explorer. With aluminum heads and a small cam it is lighter than the 4.0 and easily makes a reliable 300hp. It also is more compact and exhaust is far easier to deal with compared to say an LS.

That’s a new term for me. Is there a specific year range 5.0 that it refers to? I had a 302 in an ‘81 F250. In stock form (the way I had it) it made about 145hp with its 2 barrel carb.

edit: also interesting comparison to LS. Without any first hand experience, I’d always thought packaging was a big advantage of the LS.

Reactions: Wildman
I'd like to see that.
What transmission would you use?

Well ideally my plan is to start a new project in a few years and that would get a 6R80. If I am forced to swap the four popper I will go with an AX15.

I know everyone has their own preference. But if I had to do it over again I would still put a 5.7 Hemi in my TJ…
It is a near seamless conversion in mine. It starts, runs and drives as well as anything I’ve ever been in…

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the magnum V-8 in 97-01 TJ's as they are super easy. But it's more work to get the power out of them over a Hemi or LS. And you're limited to a 4 speed auto or a manual transmission.
Back when I did my swap Hemi and LS take out's were $8-10k because they were so new.
So as I said if I was going to do the swap today I'd consider other options. But if on a budget the magnum is still dollar for dollar the best deal. Done correctly you can do it for under $1500.

That’s a new term for me. Is there a specific year range 5.0 that it refers to? I had a 302 in an ‘81 F250. In stock form (the way I had it) it made about 145hp with its 2 barrel carb.

edit: also interesting comparison to LS. Without any first hand experience, I’d always thought packaging was a big advantage of the LS.
Ford started calling the 302 the 5.0 in 79. The HO moniker started in 82 but typically the term 5HO is referring to the 87-up multiport injected engine.

LS is not too bad other than the drivers side exhaust can bite you.

Last edited:
Nothing major, got the dust cover in the mail Friday but finally opened the package today. Had a bunch of other stuff I had to accomplish today so I didn't get to work on the Jeep. But will be hitting it tomorrow. Then have to go back to the VA on Friday. (More Jeep parts)
I'll get this bead blasted and painted so I can get the starter installed next.

20221012_174142.jpg

Also got the reducer for the IAT so I'll get it modified to install that.

And then back to working on the wiring harness again to get it all fitting and laid out properly.

There isn't a big difference between the two dust covers but it's enough to matter. The holes on the 46RE cover don't line hp with the ones on the 44RE.

As you can see if you were just looking at them unless you knew they were different you could miss it.

20221014_182905.jpg

But once you lay them on top of each other you can see the difference.

20221014_182920.jpg

It just some of the holes don't match up.

20221014_182953.jpg

I won't bore all of you with more painting pictures.

I cut the brass reducer fitting down to work on the IAT sensor.

20221015_141530.jpg

20221015_141550.jpg

Got the fitting installed into the manifold.

20221015_142200.jpg

Just enough clearance next to the distributor too.
Installed the IAT and tightened it down. Even lucked out with the release being in a easier to reach spot.

20221015_142548.jpg

Now I've got to move the plug to the rear of the manifold instead of the front.

20221015_142625.jpg