Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

I learned most of what I know in the Army. Working as a generator mechanic it was both gas & diesel engines plus electrical. And when I joined we also did hydraulic stuff. So I learned a wide range of stuff.
Then thru the years I got to work on a wide range of equipment that wasn't part of my initial training. From dirt bikes to the fast attack buggies because they had a VW engine. And then a lot of other unique stuff that you'd only see in certain parts of the country.

I'm no fabricator by any measure.

That is a lot of cool, varied experience. Obviously, some of it was not easy by any means, but still cool from someone has never had the experience to do any of that unless I go out of my way to try to do it. And don't that often.

And tangentially related to the jeep.

Fwiw I'd 100% call you a fabricator lol I couldn't do 1/2 this stuff you do.

That is a lot of cool, varied experience. Obviously, some of it was not easy by any means, but still cool from someone has never had the experience to do any of that unless I go out of my way to try to do it. And don't that often.

And tangentially related to the jeep.

Fwiw I'd 100% call you a fabricator lol I couldn't do 1/2 this stuff you do.

There are TONS of things I wished I'd done differently while I was in the military but I did learn some useful skills. After I joined I drifted more to the combat arms side of things but still worked as a mechanic also. But I got the chance to learn a lot of other skills that other guys weren't interested in knowing.
I had some buddies who were Green Beret and infantry so they taught me their stuff while I taught them how to work on their rigs. And while I was at Ft Lewis I worked with the Ranger Battalion there. So I got to have some fun along with maintaining their equipment.

"A jack of all trades is a master of none,
but oftentimes better than a master of one."

Yep that sort of fits.

There are TONS of things I wished I'd done differently while I was in the military but I did learn some useful skills. After I joined I drifted more to the combat arms side of things but still worked as a mechanic also. But I got the chance to learn a lot of other skills that other guys weren't interested in knowing.
I know so little about the military. I thought they decided what you did based on aptitude and that was it. Is combat arms like, maintenance of firearms? Or something else?
I had some buddies who were Green Beret and infantry so they taught me their stuff while I taught them how to work on their rigs. And while I was at Ft Lewis I worked with the Ranger Battalion there. So I got to have some fun along with maintaining their equipment.
What kind of stuff would you learn from those guys? How to kill people? Or is there more to it.

Excuse my ignorance I was raised by hippies

I know so little about the military. I thought they decided what you did based on aptitude and that was it. Is combat arms like, maintenance of firearms? Or something else?

You have to take tests that rate what you could be good at. But you get to choose what type of job your want. There are 100's of different jobs in the military.
Combat arms jobs are the jobs where you are the ones doing the fighting. Only about 20% of the Army is combat arms while the rest is jobs that support the fighters.

What kind of stuff would you learn from those guys? How to kill people? Or is there more to it.

Excuse my ignorance I was raised by hippies

Killing someone is only a SMALL part of the skills you learn.

How to Shoot-Move-Communicate is a lot of what you learn. Skill craft, living off the land & how to move in a formation is all parts of it.
There is a LOT more to all this.

This more specialized form of occupation is known as a Military Occupational Specialty, or MOS. There are over 140 MOSs in the Army, which is why we put together this comprehensive list. Below each job, you will see a brief description of the Army MOS, as well as the minimum necessary ASVAB line score.
https://www.military.com/join-armed-forces/army-jobs.html

This was for a JK but it's a 2.5 gallon tank for $50... In Seattle.

_nc_ohc=iQHKKR7hJBMAX--GO5E&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

I remember taking my ASVAB... Damn that was a long time ago... My brainiac brother scored a 99... damned over achiever!!!

That is the NEW ASVAB. I took the OLD one and had a 110....

What's the possability of that tucking in behind one of the seats bolted to the cage b pillar down low?

I don't know about the cage but it could mount to the floor right behind the seats.

Reactions: reddvltj
Found the other air line cutter. It's in my AiRock repair kit. Little storage containers work great for stuff like this.

20230610_110130.jpg

I have inline push fittings to repair a broken air line. Plus spare fittings and odds & ends in the container.

20230610_110159.jpg

It fits into one of the fenderwell storage boxes.

Got the oil/water separater (Coalescing) filter mounted along with the distribution block mounted to the fender.

20230610_123215.jpg

Then I mounted the ARB distribution block mounted to the passenger side fender.

20230610_131635.jpg

Along with that I also mounted the relays for the headlight wiring harness.

Then hooked up the ARB air lines. Also ran the supply air line.

20230610_132308.jpg

Next I'll work on the wiring for the ARB lockers and the electric fan. I've already added a 50 amp slot in the PDC for the fan. As everyone keeps saying it's the little things that seem to take the longest.

Got the solenoid for the dual battery system mounted. Decided I'd mount it to the inner fender by the main battery.

20230610_150900.jpg

20230610_150906.jpg

Used the last of my battery cable to run it behind the passenger seat.

20230610_155840.jpg

20230610_155900.jpg

I'll drop the negative cable through the floor and ground it to the frame.

I like having my air chuck on my bumper. Opening the hood is no bueno lol.

I actually used that air chuck to air up the AiRock system with shop air. I've never used it for airing up tires.
I'll have a air chuck on the front bumper and plan on putting one in the rear some place.

Reactions: Alex01 and reddvltj
While I had the battery disconnected to add the dual battery system I decided to put a cover on the starter. After dropping the header gasket onto the starter and arching it I felt better adding it.

20230610_172918.jpg

Got the battery cables hooked up to the dual battery solenoid.

20230610_174433.jpg

20230610_174449.jpg

Last edited:
I curse myself every time I stop to air up. Gotta hook my portable air to the battery. Darn hood is hot.

I've had a York on my last 4 or 5 rigs now and wouldn't have anything else. I'd done a air chuck on the front bumper but I haven't ever done one on the rear. So I'm going to figure one out this time. Makes it easier to have one on the rear when filling up others tires.