Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

I've had a York on my last 4 or 5 rigs now and wouldn't have anything else. I'd done a air chuck on the front bumper but I haven't ever done one on the rear. So I'm going to figure one out this time. Makes it easier to have one on the rear when filling up others tires.

The phrase that comes to mind is "Behind the eight ball." Not sure if that is correct phrase but, I am decades behind ya'll with our rigs.

Took me I think was 15 months from when I bought my rig till I built it up to run 35's. Still running portable air.

Just looked. Titled it 10/20. I am still an off road newby.

The phrase that comes to mind is "Behind the eight ball." Not sure if that is correct phrase but, I am decades behind ya'll with our rigs.

Took me I think was 15 months from when I bought my rig till I built it up to run 35's. Still running portable air.

Just looked. Titled it 10/20. I am still an off road newby.

I've have owned this TJ for 21 years in Sept. Longest I've ever owned any rig in my life. I've owned this Jeep longer than any relationship I've had.
And this Jeep has gone thru a LOT of different lifts & suspension systems. I had a York on it even when I had the 4 popper.

air.jpg

I got the air lines ran to the gauges on the roll bar. It'll look a lot better once I have things ziptied to the bars.

20230610_195108.jpg

To make maintenance easier I made flag labels for each of the air lines. This way if I have to disconnect things it'll be easier to reconnect everything. Once I get the regulators hooked up I can get them set for the pressures I need. The AiRock has a maximum PSI of 110 I think & since the ARB's have changed their maximum PSI I'll need to adjust it. I plan on running the ARB at 140 PSI.. And the pressure switch I have is 150 PSI.

20230610_195115.jpg

I got the air lines ran to the gauges on the roll bar. It'll look a lot better once I have things ziptied to the bars.

View attachment 431589

To make maintenance easier I made flag labels for each of the air lines. This way if I have to disconnect things it'll be easier to reconnect everything. Once I get the regulators hooked up I can get them set for the pressures I need. The AiRock has a maximum PSI of 110 I think & since the ARB's have changed their maximum PSI I'll need to adjust it. I plan on running the ARB at 140 PSI.. And the pressure switch I have is 150 PSI.

View attachment 431590

Back to big truck thinking, help me here.

Does your set up have a governor like the trucks? Does it purge at a set pressure?

Back to big truck thinking, help me here.

Does your set up have a governor like the trucks? Does it purge at a set pressure?

No it doesn't purge like a big rig. It just has a pressure switch that turns on @120 PSI and off @150PSI. There is a check valve between the oil separator and the distribution block.

1555024649985-png.87880

Here's a thread where I was trying to ask some questions about different setups. Of course all the "NO TANK" comments came up. But for my system I need a tank even if it's only a 1 gallon one. Hope this helps a little.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/lets-talk-about-pneumatics-on-board-air-hose-size.20895/

• USA Proud
Reactions: RINC and reddvltj
Got the solenoid for the dual battery system mounted. Decided I'd mount it to the inner fender by the main battery.

View attachment 431489

View attachment 431490

Used the last of my battery cable to run it behind the passenger seat.

View attachment 431491

View attachment 431492

I'll drop the negative cable through the floor and ground it to the frame.

You don't have a big, 2 gage battery (?) cable going through sheetmetal without a grommet, do you? That hole doesn't look big enough to install a grommet and the edge of that sheetmetal will cut the insulation eventually. That would be a very high amperage direct short to ground and be very bad for everything related to your jeep.

1686484745822.png

You don't have a big, 2 gage battery (?) cable going through sheetmetal without a grommet, do you? That hole doesn't look big enough to install a grommet and the edge of that sheetmetal will cut the insulation eventually. That would be a very high amperage direct short to ground and be very bad for everything related to your jeep.

View attachment 431606

Thanks Milke,
I was testing out the location and am pulling the cable back out and putting a grommet in the hole. I was just verifying that it would reach the second battery before doing anything else.

i got 1/4"-1/2" air tubing in red and yellow [maybe some black and/or green] if u need.
semi-transparent so u can see condensation or contaminant build up if any. we plumb tons pf pneumatic equip at work and there's always lots of scraps for free. i got quite a few fittings too.

i got 1/4"-1/2" air tubing in red and yellow [maybe some black and/or green] if u need.
semi-transparent so u can see condensation or contaminant build up if any. we plumb tons pf pneumatic equip at work and there's always lots of scraps for free. i got quite a few fittings too.

Thanks buddy. I think I've got more than enough tubing at this point. I sort of forgot I'd ordered some and ordered more thinking I was going to need it.

Got the air lines covered in sheathing. The zip tied the air lines and wiring to the bars. Not exactly what I wanted but it works.

20230611_094000.jpg

Just like on the other end I added flag labels for ease of maintenance.

20230611_094013.jpg

And then how everything goes under the dash. I might have to notch this area for the lines to sit in once I have the windshield installed.

20230611_094022.jpg

Now to mess with the puzzle palace of air lines. Hooking everything up should be fun.
I had to order a new ARB locker solenoid. These wires were already in poor condition and one broke yesterday.
They are proud of these things. $90 for the solenoid assembly. But I needed enough stuff from Summitt to get free shipping.

20230611_095111.jpg

Reactions: Alex01 and reddvltj
I had to order a new ARB locker solenoid. These wires were already in poor condition and one broke yesterday.
They are proud of these things. $90 for the solenoid assembly. But I needed enough stuff from Summitt to get free shipping.

View attachment 431677

Nowing my cheap ass, I'd probably be taking a dremel to the plastic tip to expose the wire, then soldering a connector in place on both sides...

• Haha
Reactions: Wildman
Nowing my cheap ass, I'd probably be taking a dremel to the plastic tip to expose the wire, then soldering a connector in place on both sides...

I thought about it 🤔. But I sure don't want the locker to not work when I need it.
There are some non-ARB replacements but I couldn't find enough reviews to feel comfortable in going with them.
I'll take this one apart and see if I can fix it for a trail spare.
You know cause I'm like Jeff, I carry a full repair shop.

I opened the hole for the aux battery cable some and then had to use a die grinder and Dremal to finish it off.

20230611_110207.jpg

Almost lost the grommet when 3/4 of it had fallen inside the hole.
An angled pick saved the day.

20230611_115255.jpg

I'll route it over the PCM and then connect to the dual battery solenoid.

20230611_115303.jpg

Well I THOUGHT I'd figured out how to have a switched circuit in the PDC but I got something wrong 🤔.
I'll tare it apart tomorrow and figure out what I did wrong.

I've got to clean up my wiring also. I've got so much stuff that needs to be wired it's crazy.

20230611_164145.jpg

Really thought I was done messing with the PDC. But guess not.

20230611_164151.jpg

Look into the rough country mlc8. It’s a 8 circuit relay bank (and similar to aux beam, Spod, etc). I know, I know…rough country, yuck. I picked one up to check out, as I got a really good deal on it through my 4x4 club. It’s actually pretty nice. The biggest thing to watch is that it’s only rated for 60 amp continuous…really made to control LED lighting circuits, but as long as you’re mindful of the loads, I think it might help you clean some of that wiring up.

Reactions: reddvltj
Look into the rough country mlc8. It’s a 8 circuit relay bank (and similar to aux beam, Spod, etc). I know, I know…rough country, yuck. I picked one up to check out, as I got a really good deal on it through my 4x4 club. It’s actually pretty nice. The biggest thing to watch is that it’s only rated for 60 amp continuous…really made to control LED lighting circuits, but as long as you’re mindful of the loads, I think it might help you clean some of that wiring up.

I have a 7 circuit Painless Wiring kit installed I was just trying to not have to run the wires into the interior by using the PDC for these switched items. I'll look at it again tomorrow and get it all figured out.

Reactions: Mike_H and reddvltj